where to get towing eye?

kris

I am after a towing eye that screws into o/s front chassis of my 2007 Relay LWB .I have the jack kit but there wasnt one in it .Also what thread is it as it needs dressing up?

It will be a left hand thread, Most are unique to the make as in, a Peugeot will fit Peugeot fiat Citroen,
If you buy one, get two! Cut a diagonal slot down the thread of spare and wind it backwards and forwards with lots of wd40, keep your fingers crossed the rust is not too thick I have known some for the thread to rust away inside the chassis, this then needs a new eye welding into the chassis, andy

I am after a towing eye that screws into o/s front chassis of my 2007 Relay LWB .I have the jack kit but there wasnt one in it .Also what thread is it as it needs dressing up?

Is it not attached under the bonnet by the slam panel?

It will be a left hand thread, Most are unique to the make as in, a Peugeot will fit Peugeot fiat Citroen,
If you buy one, get two! Cut a diagonal slot down the thread of spare and wind it backwards and forwards with lots of wd40, keep your fingers crossed the rust is not too thick I have known some for the thread to rust away inside the chassis, this then needs a new eye welding into the chassis, andy

Borrow / buy a tap to clean the threads out once you have determined the thread size. Most garages will more than likely have a one, it's only a 2 minute job.

I've not come across left hand threaded towing eyes?

If it is left hand thread then you will be struggling to borrow a tap.

Eye could be with the spare wheel or as others have said under seat.

Just checked on a Relay it is in the box under the passenger seat.

I've not come across left hand threaded towing eyes?

If it is left hand thread then you will be struggling to borrow a tap.

Eye could be with the spare wheel or as others have said under seat.

I haven't either, but hey, they used to fit left handed threaded wheels nuts on early Trannies :idea-007:
The last one I tapped out was RH M18 I think, but it wasn't a Relay

Borrow / buy a tap to clean the threads out once you have determined the thread size. Most garages will more than likely have a one, it's only a 2 minute job.
Not a standard thread these are usually really chunky and wide pitched, andy

I have a couple of spare sprinter towing eyes, don't know if they are the same thread though, but if they are you are quite welcome to one of them

The Renault Trafic eyes are about M20 by memory, and definitely NOT left-hand thread.

Peter

I haven't either, but hey, they used to fit left handed threaded wheels nuts on early Trannies :idea-007:
The last one I tapped out was RH M18 I think, but it wasn't a Relay

You are almost right about the old trannies. Some had left hand threads on the off side wheel nuts as they had a tendency to work loose like the old wire wheels did.
We used to tell the apprentices with wires and Transits when doing the wheels nuts up to listen for the crack as they tightened up, back to crack. Then torque them up.

Agree with that it makes an ACME thread look fine, about a 3/16 or 1/4 pitch thread. in mm of course.

ACME and stub ACME are a thread form, and may be at various pitches.
If it is metric then it would be trapazoidal not ACME.
The ebay pics of a towing eye for the Relay show a standard pitch metric RH threaded eye bolt.

Towing eyes are normally left hand thread, this is because if towing with a rope, left hand thread will tighten where as right hand thread the eye will come loose!! This is because of the twist of the rope. Hope this clears up any confusion of why LH thread is used.

:nicethread::idea:

This thread :raofl: prompted me to check and measure the eye supplied with my Van, 2004 Boxer X244. Looked in the tool roll, only jack tools and the all purpose screwdriver :scared:
I measure and then have manufactured new lead screw spindles or nuts for my job, having just had a £1,850, 5.7 meter long spindle made last week to repair some machinery I need to get it right first time.

On the front of the van there is only a steel towing loop N/side , can't see off side as its too close the fence.

So my 10t towing strop will be fine :D being nether L/H R/H or Buttress or square threaded.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back