Where from here?

ian81

Since the beginning of March we have been sitting out the lockdown in an AirBnb (no house in UK). Sadly the government has decided to close such rentals this so we need to go back to wilding / campsite.

Any ideas of any possible stopping places in the Derby / Nottingham area?

Many thanks for any help.
Ian

Hi Ian,

You can stay on the car park of The Carpenters Arms in Dale Abbey near Ilkeston. We stayed for 4 nights with hook up, no money expected, they were happy with us paying for a meal each and having a couple of drinks the other nights. We asked them before leaving if they would like some extra cash, they said they were glad of our company and we would be welcome back anytime.
Very friendly place and some good walks round about.
Dog friendly too.

Obviously pub will be shut but it could be worth ringing them and offering cash.

Just remembered, they have someone who full times in a converted horse box, they stay on the field next to the pub. We didn't see them in the pub at any time, maybe they pay cash or help around the place? They had no hook up btw.

There is a caravan parked up in our local pub car park.
Dunno if it is legal, can't see why not.

I take it you have had a look at the POIs?

There are a number of possibilities.

Contact the local council, they're obligated to help you out,including water and waste disposal,or find a park of your choice and then contact them.

I’d say this is excellent advice, and could save police time should you just park up elsewhere.

I believe there was something in the law that said if you were living in a caravan / mobile home / hotel etc and had no residential home to go to or couldn't return to one if you had one for some reason then it was ok to stay put, worth having a look at the health protection law.https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/introduction/made

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), a person responsible for carrying on a business consisting of the provision of holiday accommodation, whether in a hotel, hostel, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartment, home, cottage or bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, must cease to carry on that business during the emergency period.

(4) A person referred to in paragraph (3) may continue to carry on their business and keep any premises used in that business open—

(a)to provide accommodation for any person, who—

(i)is unable to return to their main residence;

(ii)uses that accommodation as their main residence;

(iii)needs accommodation while moving house;

(iv)needs accommodation to attend a funeral

looking at this it looks like the air b&b you are using is allowed to let you stay.

Caravan and Motorhome Club have some sites open but you have to phone head office and you don’t get a choice of where you go. Charges are off peak.

Thanks everbody for your responses.

izwozral .we stayed at the Carpenters back in 2015 whne the new landlord had just taken over and I believe posted the pub on here! How current is your info?

Chris (POI) I am aware of the various POI's having contributed quite a few back in 2015. What I was more looking for is current info as I suspect police would question parking at many of them in the current circumstances.

Thanks Helen for the offer. It is a bit far north as we hope to be able to move on in 3 / 4 weeks.

The suggestions re the council are interesting and I will follow that up.

Thanks to everyone.

I am parked up at present on a small industrial estate. I've been here just over four weeks.

The Police visited me after a week or so, asked me why I was here, and left satisfied.

I would suggest that provided you are parked away from houses and act sensibly there is little to be concerned about.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back