Wheels out of balance

Mot time

My van is 5.5 tonnes started out as mod van before being converted by the owner prior to me so will see tomorrow afternoon hopefully when i collect with a brand new mot.Strange question was asked by mechanic when dropped van off earlier wanted to know with it being a home conversion was it fitted with a toilet otherwise it didn't count as a camper for mot purposes and would have to be mot'ed as a hgv(go figure that one):confused:

I think they just make up there own rules:confused:, I think your test will probably cost £53, good luck.

Mot time

Thanks Lenny hope you are back on the road soon need you to go out on a reccy for the northern meet,Andy

My van is 5.5 tonnes started out as mod van before being converted by the owner prior to me so will see tomorrow afternoon hopefully when i collect with a brand new mot.Strange question was asked by mechanic when dropped van off earlier wanted to know with it being a home conversion was it fitted with a toilet otherwise it didn't count as a camper for mot purposes and would have to be mot'ed as a hgv(go figure that one):confused:

thats a strange one look at the campers about that dont have toilets fitted home or factory built i would have thought that if it is registered as a camper then the mot mans question would be irrelevant and even more so as it is only 5.5 tonne

Mot time

Got the impression it was to do with the class of mot as most garages are limited to cars and vans rather than hgv's,maybe because some people when converting their vans themselves don't inform dvla of the changes(don't re-register them as campers)will ask tomorrow

Mot time

Got the dreaded phone call this morning from the garage camper failed it's mot on brake pipes,handbrake ineffective and kingpin worn on one side advisory to replace other side.Left van at garage so work can be carried out but they are having trouble sourcing the kingpin you would think they would be stock items but apparently not,these are indeed testing times:(

sounds like ive got away lucky this year with my mot, the only thing that was a real pain was the setting up of the front brakes with them being drum type. so to cure that i am considering fitting the later disks some time this year. by the way ***** do you remember the trouble i had when i came to hayfield with the steering well i cured that with a new tyre and the tracking reset so while i was at it i replaced the other trackrod end, i had one replaced for the mot, it had had a new steering rack fitted just before i bought the van.

cheers the problem apart from the tracking was mainly the tyre as the tread was parting company with the casing there was a crack down the center of the tread pattern so it seems the mot guy missed that one shows they are not infallible after all

wasent too bad coming back home but getting there well :eek: all cured now i am thinking of getting some more front wishbones rebushing them over the next few months and fitting them then thats another job done so it wont fail next years test on them at least i have some new dampers at home to be fitted at the same time cost a tenner of e.bay bargain

My van passed the MOT retest today:cool:, all defects repaired by myself:rolleyes:, so I,m well chuffed, especially with the faulty front brake.
To think I could have been running around for months with that brake binding and burning more fuel than necessary, so I would advise everyone to check that there wheels spin freely when brakes are not applied.
A simple check would be to walk around the van and feel each hub after a journey to see if any are hotter than normal.

Good luck to all that are having MOT problems,Iknow it's a weight off your shoulders when it finally passes.:)

the conservatives had a good system any motor over 25 years old were classed as historic vehicles so were tax exempt. look what good ole labour did set a cut off period at built before jan 1973 just because they were losing some money i somehow think labour want to commit political suicide at the moment mabey they are being paid by the conservatives to ruin any chance of been returned to power

Hi Mandrake,
I do not think anything will induce this shower to go.
They are so thick skined, uncaring and contemptious that they will continue to hang on and feather their own nests untill they are forced out.
The trouble is that none of the other parties will be any better.
So what do we do to improve things.
Elections do not work.
Wilbury

the answer is simple elect independant candidates, no party politics, no line to toe and represent the people only, nothing more, no hidden agenda, so VOTE independant Everytime it would work if everyone did it.

Had a phone call from garage where i took van for mot lat week good news they have managed to source kingpin for nearside(suggested replacing offside as advisory)bad news £217 plus vat nice lady in the reception asked did i want to replace the offside at same time err i think i will leave it for now need to save up for next years mot now i think.Anyway hope to have van back in time for weekend(just as soon as i stop crying over the bill):eek:

Sorry to hear about the expense but just think of the fun you can have with your van in the 12 months till your next MOT.
I dont trust the garage, only take the van there once a year and thats cos the law says I must:(,, I sometimes wonder if they invent faults in order to get the work of repairing it for you. mine had advisories... all four wheel bearings/slight play,now I find that hard to believe that all four can show signs of wear at exactly the same time,after 17years:confused:
Anyway I just acquired one complete front hub assembly for £10 + £8 postage,(saves the need to get bearing pressed into place) so I,ve got 12 months to find the other three. This is considering the castle nuts dont just need nipping up. Hope you get your van back for the weekend,, Good luck:)

hi just trying to catch up on many posts as my dear daughter is more than hogging the keyboard :eek:, as for mots when i used to run a car aswell as the van i used to think oh well if the car fails the mot and it costs more than i can buy another for then i will just scrap the car and buy another, it was a case of run the car into the ground dont spend a penny on it if it fails the mot what the hell £200 will buy me another. but now i only run the old beddy i am willing to spend any spare money i have got on upkeep of it, i have replaced all the brake pipes needed or not so i know they are done any thing i can do will be done over the year so when the test is due i know there will be no probs. rather spend during the year than have it come all at once all so if your nice local garage wants to make a few quid out of you once a year he is not gona make a lot out of me on repairs only a first time pass i just got a compleat set of top and bottom ball joints 25 quid so they will be replaced soon and they have grease nipples fitted so a shot or too of grease will keep them good for years.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back