Wheels out of balance

lenny

My 1991 Ducato just failed it's MOT today:mad: but I'm over the moon:eek: cos the defects were all so trivial;), apart from one that said "Front wheels out of balance..37%", I'm told that this means that one side is braking better than the other which could cause the van to pull to one side when braking.
I've ordered new pads for tomorrow even though the old one seemed to have a little more life left in them, although the offside set seem to be crumbling slightly and have a covering of dust (this side also heats up more than the nearside), discs look ok, flexi pipes look ok, any advice please:)

Hi Lenny,
Maybe it could be this:
If your right side is braking better than the left side :left side brake pads accumulate more dust and smear than the other side: (this is the ditch side) so less braking, car pull out to the right. (overhere car will pull to the left, for we drive at the right).
New pads will solve the problem.
Regards
Leo

Thanks ,Leo, new pads will be fitted tomorrow ,although i've got a feeling it's more than this,but one things for certain;), we won't be beaten:cool:

Sounds like frozen/corroded disc cylinder(s) if one side is only working at 37%. Thickness of the pads should n't make any difference to braking effort unless they are down to steel.

Easy enough to check, with the wheel off, and someone pumping the brake pedal, see if there is any movement of the disc pads. Have a look at the good one first so that you know what to expect from the bad one.

Your luckier than me with the MOT.
Mine car was going to cost about £600 and with lots more of advisories and on top of that it wanted a full service and cam belt change.
So I have got rid of it and having something else, so now skint again:eek:

Sorry to hear that,Graham, but what am I going to do about the nearside flasher not working(amazing how bulbs blow whilst on the garage forecourt):rolleyes:, and the windscreen washer not distributing enough water to the windscreen,(Where's that pin):eek:
Oh, and headlight aim too low:eek:.

You're right ,I was lucky:)

Your luckier than me with the MOT.
Mine car was going to cost about £600 and with lots more of advisories
My car had its MOT yesterday.
1999 peugeot 406 estate
had it since new, 135,000 miles on the clock
it was picked up from the door 8am
returned 4pm with full service, everything fixed what needed fixed
and MOT pass certificate.
total bill £195
Knowing a good self employed mechanic is the answer!

My car had its MOT yesterday.
1999 peugeot 406 estate
had it since new, 135,000 miles on the clock
it was picked up from the door 8am
returned 4pm with full service, everything fixed what needed fixed
and MOT pass certificate.
total bill £195
Knowing a good self employed mechanic is the answer!

Not bad,eh;), hope he filled the tank up:eek::D

My 1991 Ducato just failed it's MOT today:mad: but I'm over the moon:eek: cos the defects were all so trivial;), apart from one that said "Front wheels out of balance..37%", I'm told that this means that one side is braking better than the other which could cause the van to pull to one side when braking.
I've ordered new pads for tomorrow even though the old one seemed to have a little more life left in them, although the offside set seem to be crumbling slightly and have a covering of dust (this side also heats up more than the nearside), discs look ok, flexi pipes look ok, any advice please:)

think you may have a seized brake caliper on the side of low brake pressure could either be the piston in the caliper or or the caliper that is seized on its slide that will account for the crumbling pads on one side when you change the pads you will tell if it is the cylinder or the caliper that is seized if it is the caliper use wd 40 to free and then some copper slip to lubricate the slider to be safe do both sides if it is the cylinder then a new caliper may be needed

Rd Tax

The proposed increase doesn't affect cars registered before 'Y' March 2001.

So make sure you buy a 4.6 Range Rover on an x plate!!!!:rolleyes:

Jon

Thanks all for the kind advice;), but I found the problem and thought I'd share it with you, the culprit was the flexi hose at the caliper(somehow it was blocked) preventing fluid from passing to the piston.
This was not obvious at first as there are twin pistons in these calipers and only one was working. I dont know how long the pipe has been blocked ,it could have been 6 month or so, now when you consider this brake assembly could have been binding for that long,slowing me down and reducing my MPG.

I've not known a flexi to block before but I have encountered a problem with one that is kinked.

Flexi replaced, brake fluid replaced all round,test drive.. spot on,,job done:cool:

And the rain held off all morning:D

The proposed increase doesn't affect cars registered before 'Y' March 2001.

So make sure you buy a 4.6 Range Rover on an x plate!!!!:rolleyes:

Jon

up to press:eek: but he will have some sneaky trick up his sleeve for the veichles not included in this round of tax hikes. it aint like the robbing theiving governmental highway robbers to let it go at that there will be some thing like a stricter mot to remove older motors off the road

the conservatives had a good system any motor over 25 years old were classed as historic vehicles so were tax exempt. look what good ole labour did set a cut off period at built before jan 1973 just because they were losing some money i somehow think labour want to commit political suicide at the moment mabey they are being paid by the conservatives to ruin any chance of been returned to power

Mandrake

It wasn't you driving the orange van this morning near the sheffield wednesday ground was it at 8.40ish. If so, I was at the side of you!!!!

Mot time

Think there was a eu proposal recently to have mot testing every 2 years instead as in other european countries strikes me this will cause a major loss of income for the garages which at present make a very good living out of mot's and repairs(thank you very much).They would no doubt make up the shortfall by increasing their charges for repairs to compensate.My van is going for it's mot tomorrow so the weekend is on hold for the minute,fingers crossed.Had 4 new tyres fitted across the back axle total cost £362 so hope there are no nasty suprises.Pardon my ignorance but forgot to ask when booking the mot is it the same price as a car anyone know?:eek:

no not me havent been out today something about computer system at b&q distribution center going on melt down :D:D i must have jinksed there system two days there and things gone t-t- up :eek::D:D:D

Think there was a eu proposal recently to have mot testing every 2 years instead as in other european countries strikes me this will cause a major loss of income for the garages which at present make a very good living out of mot's and repairs(thank you very much).They would no doubt make up the shortfall by increasing their charges for repairs to compensate.My van is going for it's mot tomorrow so the weekend is on hold for the minute,fingers crossed.Had 4 new tyres fitted across the back axle total cost £362 so hope there are no nasty suprises.Pardon my ignorance but forgot to ask when booking the mot is it the same price as a car anyone know?:eek:

mine was same class as a normal car

yes you are correct there although when my van went for its test the garage could not carry out the test as there was not enough room for him to test it he said so it went to another station still same price

I think that up to 3500 it is a class 4 and the same as a normal car:cool:
Maybe more if over that weight, but mot charges vary garage to garage:eek:

I think you're right Graham, I paid £45 for the test but was told I will have to pay for the retest within 10 working days, possibly half the origional fee,now thats news to me:(

yes thats true another way of getting that little bit extra from us , but if you leave it with them to do the repairs you dont have the retest fees funny just there bill for work done

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back