Wheel Nut Torque

alwaysared

Does anyone know what the wheel nut torque setting is for my 1996 Fiat Ducato 1.9TD? I'm having trouble finding it. I always undo and retighten them after I've had tyres fitted at the tyre place. I didn't get round to it last year so I asked my son to come round and do them for me (I'm out of action at the moment) and he broke one knuckle bar then had to get a piece scaffolding on a wheel brace :mad2:
I was lucky I didn't have a puncture when out last year! So if you have your tyres changed or your wheels taken off make sure you undo and retighten them when you get home.

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
Had a garage put wheel nuts on tapers out once. Luckily I spotted it straight away. Bosses reaction was "YTS lad". Shrugged his shoulders and walked off. Always check your wheel nuts!!!

Richard

perhaps not totally accurate, but as a guide, my 2016 fiat on 16 inch steel wheels has a torque of 150nms.

This is stated in my hand book. Hope it helps.

Davy

Wheel Nut Torque sounds like CBT or something out An S & M movie
Not sure I need my Nuts torqued they are just fine not working anymore :lol-049:

Correction

I must apologise as I have just checked the memos on my phone where I store details such as axle weights, tyre pressures etc, and find to my dismay that the torque should be 180nm.

I was so sure that it was 150 that I didn’t double check. My apologies again, something learnt by me also.

Davy

Wheel nut torque - Fiat based

160 180 nm

Thanks this agrees with the numbers I had from the local fiat garage by phone this morning. (It took them some time to find the data... so make a note somewhere in case you need it quickly!)

It was:
180nm for 16 inch wheels and
160nm for 15 inch wheels (which is what I have).

Anyone know of a sensibly priced torque wrench for home checking / after 30 miles or so? I was taught to tighten as tight as you coudl go by hand but apparently that's old-fashioned now and needs the torque checking!?!

Happy Driving!

Thanks this agrees with the numbers I had from the local fiat garage by phone this morning. (It took them some time to find the data... so make a note somewhere in case you need it quickly!)

It was:
180nm for 16 inch wheels and
160nm for 15 inch wheels (which is what I have).

Anyone know of a sensibly priced torque wrench for home checking / after 30 miles or so? I was taught to tighten as tight as you coudl go by hand but apparently that's old-fashioned now and needs the torque checking!?!

Happy Driving!

I was taught to use a tape measure to get a good approximation - a bit like this but before Newton metres YouTube

We can all torque the torque, but how many of us worque the worque? ;-)

Anyone know of a sensibly priced torque wrench for home checking / after 30 miles or so? I was taught to tighten as tight as you coudl go by hand but apparently that's old-fashioned now and needs the torque checking!?! Happy Driving!

Some thing like this will do the JOB

I was taught to tighten as tight as you coudl go by hand but apparently that's old-fashioned now and needs the torque checking!?!

Happy Driving!

Tighten them till the thread strips, then back off half a turn, what could go wrong! :dance:

I have a Teng Tools torque wrench which was donated by my nephew and I leave it set to 180nM which is correct for 16'' steel wheels.

I have used it for breaking the wheel nuts as well, although some people frown on this as bad practice. You're probably better using breaker bar for the job I suppose but there again, how often are you buggering about with wheel nuts?

Cheers

H

I have a Teng Tools torque wrench which was donated by my nephew and I leave it set to 180nM which is correct for 16'' steel wheels.

I have used it for breaking the wheel nuts as well, although some people frown on this as bad practice. You're probably better using breaker bar for the job I suppose but there again, how often are you buggering about with wheel nuts?

Cheers

H

Tut, tut, tut Mr H :rolleyes2: i`m astounded and flabbergasted :scared: you know full well you shouldn`t use a torque wrench for undoing the wheel nuts :mad1:

I have a Teng Tools torque wrench and I leave it set to 180nM which is correct for 16'' steel wheels. H

Not the best practice as the spring lose's tension over time and the setting changes thats why commercial garages have them calibrated regulary

If you are going to retorque your nuts because you suspect someone has
overtorqued with an airgun or size 13 boot, then you should slacken them
off first and then retorque. Not much use torqueing to say a correct 150Nm
if the spanner monkey previously tightened them to 1000Nm. As said a retorque
recheck after 50km running.

I read somewhere years ago that a survey showed that the major cause of
wheel detachment on lorries was the not carrying out the recheck after 50kms.
Probably applies equally to other vehicles.

I always re torque and I have found that sometimes a re torgue is required more than once before the nut settles!

You might be aware that sometimes when wheels are freshly painted mounting them too soon
after the painting can be bad news. The wheels get torqued the paint dries & reduces in
thickness, result..... the nuts are slackened off.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back