Wheel and tyre question

Is that something that gets certified/checked at the production/sign off stage then Colin? Seems odd having a set of rules that are not checked at the MOT.
Vehicles are built to a set of standards, many of which are never checked once they are been 'signed off', the MOT checks items which are deemed to be safety issues, or other items which have taken the authorities fancy over the years. Take headlights, for a vehicle to be imported into UK it requires the correct dipping headlamps, and the 'rules' state that 'beam benders' or masking is not acceptable, but once the vehicle has been registered the only check on MOT is that they don't dazzle oncoming vehicles, this has lead to some vehicles that have been imported without being inspected passing MOT without correct headlamps.

Vehicles are built to a set of standards, many of which are never checked once they are been 'signed off', the MOT checks items which are deemed to be safety issues, or other items which have taken the authorities fancy over the years. Take headlights, for a vehicle to be imported into UK it requires the correct dipping headlamps, and the 'rules' state that 'beam benders' or masking is not acceptable, but once the vehicle has been registered the only check on MOT is that they don't dazzle oncoming vehicles, this has lead to some vehicles that have been imported without being inspected passing MOT without correct headlamps.
We need the rules that some US States have ....
Law just passed in Texas .... NO vehicle inspections are needed except for the very first one when a vehicle is registered in that state. Forget even the most basic checks! No inspections needed in Arizona. I don't have a list but I bet there are plenty others like that.

We need the rules that some US States have ....
Law just passed in Texas .... NO vehicle inspections are needed except for the very first one when a vehicle is registered in that state. Forget even the most basic checks! No inspections needed in Arizona. I don't have a list but I bet there are plenty others like that.
I lived in Florida for 10 years and there was no inspections there. A motorbike didn't have to have any lights except a stoplight as long as it wasn't used at night 😲
and you didn't need insurance on a motorbike 🤔 You only had to wear a crash helmet if you were under 21 or if you had medical insurance with at least $10,000 worth of cover, I could go on but you get the idea all in the name of freedom 😂

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
I lived in Florida for 10 years and there was no inspections there. A motorbike didn't have to have any lights except a stoplight as long as it wasn't used at night 😲
and you didn't need insurance on a motorbike 🤔 You only had to wear a crash helmet if you were under 21 or if you had medical insurance with at least $10,000 worth of cover, I could go on but you get the idea all in the name of freedom 😂

Regards,
Del
You can have a motorbike without any lights except brake light here as well. Same thing though, no ridin at any time lights may be needed (night or day) 👍

You can have a motorbike without any lights except brake light here as well. Same thing though, no ridin at any time lights may be needed (night or day) 👍
It would appear that you can even pass the MOT with all the lights (with the execption of the brakelight) permanently disconnected or taped/painted over but you'll get an advisory telling you not to use it in the dark, who would've thought it.

Regards,
Del

If you replace wheels with a larger radius and tyres with a lower profile to get the same rolling radius, it shouldn't affect the speedometer, but it will make the ride less comfortable, the winter conditions performance far worse - and it'll maybe look as if the van is owned by a dork.

I replaced my motorhome's tyres with the widest specified for the vehicle and got 7% higher gearing, better handling and am able to run them at lower pressure. I could have fitted bigger wheels but that would require teling insurers - and would have cost more (the bigger tyres were cheaper than the previous ones).

On my car, I replaced the very wide wheels and low profile tyres with more normal ones to get away from the snags of 'sporty' wheels. The ride is smoother, the snow grip better, but I ought to inform insurers.

I'm currently running 215/70 R 15C Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tyres on my 2006 MK2 Fiat Ducato based Hymer T594 coachbuilt motorhome and I'm thinking of upgrading to 16" wheels so how important is it to keep the rolling radius the same? I'm told the equivelent 16" tyre is a 215/65 R 16C but when I check them out they have a lower load rating than my current 15" ones 🤔 I can get 215/75 R 16C but they told me that the difference in rolling radius could effect my speedo, I realise that but I'm not too bothered but more worring is they said it could bring on my ABS warning light 😲 I was also looking at the 225/75 R 16C but yhe told me they would be too wide. Has anyone done this and did it cause any problems? I'm beginning to think it may not be worth the bother and to just stick with the 15" wheels, anyone got any thoughts please?

Regards,
Del
Speedo on our 2014 ducato is around 8% optimistic, as was our 2005 ducato and our 2005 chevrolet estate car. We changed the tyres on the chevy to the next up sidewall height - made the speedo spot on. I would'nt worry about it myself, but then, i would'nt bother with a wheel change unless i was offered some suitable spec second hand alloys very very cheap.

I'm currently running 215/70 R 15C Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tyres on my 2006 MK2 Fiat Ducato based Hymer T594 coachbuilt motorhome and I'm thinking of upgrading to 16" wheels so how important is it to keep the rolling radius the same? I'm told the equivelent 16" tyre is a 215/65 R 16C but when I check them out they have a lower load rating than my current 15" ones 🤔 I can get 215/75 R 16C but they told me that the difference in rolling radius could effect my speedo, I realise that but I'm not too bothered but more worring is they said it could bring on my ABS warning light 😲 I was also looking at the 225/75 R 16C but yhe told me they would be too wide. Has anyone done this and did it cause any problems? I'm beginning to think it may not be worth the bother and to just stick with the 15" wheels, anyone got any thoughts please?

Regards,
Del
An increase in tyre width will increase road noise.

It would appear that you can even pass the MOT with all the lights (with the execption of the brakelight) permanently disconnected or taped/painted over but you'll get an advisory telling you not to use it in the dark, who would've thought it.

Regards,
Del
I used to watch trials quite a bit in the 70’s and they would ride their bikes on the road between stages, that’s how I knew 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back