What washing machine for use in the MH?

SimonM

As many of you are frequent long term travellers what do you do to keep clothes fresh?

The options we’ve used in the past have been very basic, sink wash , wring out manually, and then hang up on a whirligig dryer - or bag it up and carry it home (not a very satisfactory method I know)

We've seen many washer/dryer setups alongside many supermarkets while away in France, but we’ve never been near them at an appropriate time - do you use them? Are they good?

How about carrying your own personal washing machine, perhaps with an inbuilt spinner/dryer thingy? I know they’re available, and indeed I’ve seen many a large MH with one in the garage ready to be used.

So what do you use/suggest, and should it be 12v or 240v as an inverter will provide the extra volts while off grid. Any things to rule out?

We've seen many washer/dryer setups alongside many supermarkets while away in France, but we’ve never been near them at an appropriate time - do you use them? Are they good?
We've used washing machines at campsites in several countries, all have been fine, for the cost and (in)convenance, I would think it better to book in a campsite and use these than carting around your own, unless you have a RV.

As many of you are frequent long term travellers what do you do to keep clothes fresh?

The options we’ve used in the past have been very basic, sink wash , wring out manually, and then hang up on a whirligig dryer - or bag it up and carry it home (not a very satisfactory method I know)

How about carrying your own personal washing machine, perhaps with an inbuilt spinner/dryer thingy? I know they’re available, and indeed I’ve seen many a large MH with one in the garage ready to be used.

So what do you use/suggest, and should it be 12v or 240v as an inverter will provide the extra volts while off grid. Any things to rule out?
The washer dryers are everywhere in France . Extremely convenient.
Think their locations are shown on , at least , one of the popular apps

The washer dryers are everywhere in France . Extremely convenient.
Think their locations are shown on , at least , one of the popular apps
Second this,have used them often, also in northern Spain. They take a huge load so I put the lot in, bedding and clothes. I used to use campsites to do this and carried my own retractable clothes line but this is not necessary now, and a considerable saving over site fee then washer fee and waiting for all the other campers to finish their wash.

We wear knickers the right way out on Day 1, turn them inside out on Day 2, and then swap with each other on Day 3 ... And if the trip involves foreign travel and is longer than 4 days, we meet lots of new friends who help with the lengthening of the wash cycle frequency ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Another talk with the boss and she is now also of the opinion that perhaps the occasional hand wash and then find a laundromat near a supermarket to combine a shop and wash day. I’ll do the shop, while she can be nearby with the MH to do the wash.
Thanks for the replies it all helps.

Stayed on a campsite in Morocco 6 winters ago alongside an Englishman and his (much younger) Swiss partner. She would do the washing by filling two large 25\30 litre plastic buckets full of water, soap and clothes. She then kicked off her shoes and did a 20 minute dance in her shorts and tee shirt one foot in each bucket..

I looked forward to wash days. 😉

Some well of folk on here with expensive things like underwear, anyway lots of fresh stuff on cloths lines very early in the mornings, mind you im not fond of tights.

Another talk with the boss and she is now also of the opinion that perhaps the occasional hand wash and then find a laundromat near a supermarket to combine a shop and wash day. I’ll do the shop, while she can be nearby with the MH to do the wash.
Thanks for the replies it all helps.
We tend to put the laundry in the wash, knowing it is on a ~40 minute cycle, and do our shop.

Then, we put it in the drier and watch from the van while we have lunch.

Many towns have launderettes too, where you can just sit with a book.

Yes, we use them all the time when in Johnny Foreigner land and they are excellent (y)

Find a good place to park on the supermarket car park normally mid afternoon.

1, put washing and enter your mobile number so it texts you when finishing.

2, go into the store and top up with provisions.

3, put washing in dryer when ready.

4, plenty of time to sort it out and put away then peaceful night on car park.

5, fuel up on way out the following morning.

This regime works for us, others may say different.

We use on-site washing machines for around €5 a large load. Then hang them out to dry on a whirlygig and some strung up washing lines on our pitch if necessary. We normally do a dark wash that way but if we need any 'whites' doing then normally a hand wash suffices.

I used to see many folks using the portable washing machines when on sites but from memory I think they were a bit of a faff. I haven't seen any being used for a few years now tbh.

Many places no all over Ireland have the washing machines on site, garages and outside some shopping centres, handy but mainly for a big wash, nickers socks & t shirts are best done in the sink by hand, thats if you can afford luxuries. 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-07 070301.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 070301.png
    3 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-06-07 070355.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 070355.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-06-07 070424.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 070424.png
    3 MB · Views: 35
  • DSC01690.JPG
    DSC01690.JPG
    610.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20200826_120356.jpg
    IMG_20200826_120356.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 37
Some well of folk on here with expensive things like underwear, anyway lots of fresh stuff on cloths lines very early in the mornings, mind you im not fond of tights.
Unless used for bank robberies, Trev ... Bit late by that stage though to discover that they haven't been washed yet :rolleyes: Another thing that's not to be sniffed at ...

Steve

Unless used for bank robberies, Trev ... Bit late by that stage though to discover that they haven't been washed yet :rolleyes: Another thing that's not to be sniffed at ...

Steve
Does using tights as masks while doing a robbery mean there has to be two people to share a pair? :ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back