What tools do you carry

I carry every tool except the one i end up needing!

you only need 2 tools, if it moves and it should'nt ,Gaffer tape. If it does'nt move and it should WD40, I also seem take every tool I possess!.
Did'nt notice an earlier similar post ,done with much more artistic flair than me

Last edited:
Andy75 said:
Thanks, tried googling torque reduction tool too, and had nothing.
I am looking for a talk reduction tool for my Wife, cannot find one of those either

Of to France today. Been putting a tool kit together for the past week. As a mechanic I’ve found it hard not to pack every tool I own. Bag weighs a ton.

Spade & matches

Just a Spade & matches,if it breaks down burn it and bury it:sad::sad:

Snowbirds.:wave:

Tools to carry

Getting back to the OP i carry breakdown cover and a selection of red wine :lol-053: and just in case I can be bothered to do anything a small tool case, after all i am on holiday :lol-049:

We bought a 400 Nm electric impact wrench from Screwfix just to undo the clutch retaining nut on the crankshaft of the Suzuki GSXR1000 as it was impossible to shift - even with the longest bar! The wrench shifted it instantly!

The impossible to move nut or bolt. stories from all our pasts.
I remember being scared of rounding off the Bolt heads on an Allegro clutch (Maxi 1750 E series engine) so bought specially a six sided socket. The socket split. Heat and a cold chisel prevailed.

The VW transaxle end nut. Almost every VW owner knows the joys of these. In gear friend depressing the footbrake (don't know what he said to it) 36mm socket on [SUP]3[/SUP]/[SUB]4[/SUB]" breaker bar with additional torque from 6' of scaffold tube and the car still creeps forward before the nut went. Measuring the scaffold tube and balancing a 56lb weight at just shy of 4' to get the required torque of 217 ft/lbs to tighten.

Looking for the torque figure and saw this genius. I would have always used my feet pressing down to loosen and I still have a ragged back.

[video=youtube;b6enInfARjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6enInfARjo[/video]

having spent years working on air cooled vw,s that man is daft .
just leave the wheel on and block the wheel movement they undo easily . having it on stands doesnt help to make it easier and could be dangerous . what a waste of time that was. wouldnt want him working in my workshop seems like a danger to himself and others .

if we're talking hard to undo nuts,a friend bought a Bedford horsebox been stood in a field for years. the wheelnuts,about 1 3/8 AF were all seized. put a 14 ' scaffold tube on an 'L' bar ,and with my boy pressing the footbrake,3 of us swung on the tube.when the nut went,it went with a bang like a gun going off ! and so did all the others.

This thread brought back a few memories for me. :p

Like using impact wrenches that were so big and heavy, we had to hang them from pul-lifts to use them. Sometimes 3 of us had to hang on to the tool until the nuts started moving. My wristwatch shook to bits on one occasion and anyone with dentures had to grit their teeth (or lose them). :sad: Mind you, the nuts we were loosening off were sometimes 105 mm across the flats.

We also occasionally used torque reduction tools, again these were beefed up a lot for big jobs. We even had a one operated hydraulically which could handle several thousand Newton Metres of torque.

And I wonder why I have so many aches and pains these days. :idea:

Tools I carry

I carry:
set of Allen keys
assorted spanners
Mole grips
a couple of screw drivers
assorted fuses
Tie Wraps
Electrical & duct Tape
Stanley Knife
Multi meter
Battery Charger
Power Pack Pro
WD40
Non setting bituminous mastic
Araldite
Various electrical snap connectors
spare male & female 240v connectors
assorted jubilee clips

But it's never enough. :raofl::raofl::wacko:

You never know

We are also Land Rover fanatics and I think we have all the above mentioned in our motor home except the trolley jack but we also carry a tube of silicone, Very handy if you get a leaky window or roof light. I think when you drive old Land rovers you expect the worst but in reality we have never broke down, but old habits die hard and hubby insists on the same things in the motor home, you know JUST IN CASE.:lol-053:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back