What to check and ask before purchase.

Bugger, I was under the impression that if the vehicle was over a certain age there was no Vat payable. Could someone clarify this :confused::confused:

Bugger, I was under the impression that if the vehicle was over a certain age there was no Vat payable. Could someone clarify this :confused::confused:
If it is payable pay it in germany, but if it is it will normally be in the price you pay.
Don't stress ask the germans you are buying from, where we got ours they are very knowledgable and it will be in the price you pay.
Don't forget to get your forms from dvla before you go then they will be ready to send off/take in when you get back, amongst them is a customs declaration declare it as your new means of transport and don't forget they can insist on inspecting it above and beyond the mot. They didn't with mine and I think (not know) that if it is a common marque they don't usually bother. Change your fog/reversing lightss over if needed, for the mot you will need to deflect your headlights to the left (technically these should be replaced with rhd headlights if they can't be adjusted) my mot tester accepted beam deflectors. You should also technically replace your speedo dial or by some other accurate means make it capable of reading mph, it is not however part of the mot surprisingly.
I've now imported mine to spain and the test is much more involved, and the costs far greater.
It might seem like a pain in the behind now but it is far easier than I had thought it was gonna be to bring a german van to the uk, and I am sure you will find it worthwhile .

Good Luck and enjoy the experience
Regards Tony

If it is payable pay it in germany, but if it is it will normally be in the price you pay.
Don't stress ask the germans you are buying from, where we got ours they are very knowledgable and it will be in the price you pay.
Don't forget to get your forms from dvla before you go then they will be ready to send off/take in when you get back, amongst them is a customs declaration declare it as your new means of transport and don't forget they can insist on inspecting it above and beyond the mot. They didn't with mine and I think (not know) that if it is a common marque they don't usually bother. Change your fog/reversing lightss over if needed, for the mot you will need to deflect your headlights to the left (technically these should be replaced with rhd headlights if they can't be adjusted) my mot tester accepted beam deflectors. You should also technically replace your speedo dial or by some other accurate means make it capable of reading mph, it is not however part of the mot surprisingly.
I've now imported mine to spain and the test is much more involved, and the costs far greater.
It might seem like a pain in the behind now but it is far easier than I had thought it was gonna be to bring a german van to the uk, and I am sure you will find it worthwhile .

Good Luck and enjoy the experience
Regards Tony

Thanks Tony,

I am actuallly buying from the same dealer as you did, and have spoken to Carsten.....Very helpful Appreciate the info ;)

Found it it's a beauty, don't forget to try and get it a bit cheaper. They dropped on mine not as much as i would have liked but enough, also if you are thinking of any extras (although it's loaded anyway) they can arrange to fit them for you.
Regards Tony

Don't Shoot !!!!

I don't expect this will be popular but.... I bought from Brownhills Please read on !! I have researched for about 8 months looking for a Hymer 544 & was all set to go to Germany but with the Euro on steroids I found that Brownhills were about 4grand cheaper than Germany for the same age, spec, mileage- I was amazed. BTW I was using www.mobile.de for the research if thats any use to you ( You can set the site to English) Like I said - don't shoot !!!

regards

Bri

Found it it's a beauty, don't forget to try and get it a bit cheaper. They dropped on mine not as much as i would have liked but enough, also if you are thinking of any extras (although it's loaded anyway) they can arrange to fit them for you.
Regards Tony

Thanks Tony, Pm mate........Sorry :eek:

I don't expect this will be popular but.... I bought from Brownhills Please read on !! I have researched for about 8 months looking for a Hymer 544 & was all set to go to Germany but with the Euro on steroids I found that Brownhills were about 4grand cheaper than Germany for the same age, spec, mileage- I was amazed. BTW I was using www.mobile.de for the research if thats any use to you ( You can set the site to English) Like I said - don't shoot !!!

regards

Bri

Many Thanks Billy

I have looked around UK but at this moment cant find an example of the model I am after for sale :confused:

Generally when they are they are a bit more expensive than the ones I have been following in Germany, but appreciate the input mate, I guess you struck lucky with your van.

Think I did - most of my mates think I need my bumps felt for venturing in to Brownhills. Good luck with the search

Just to let you guys know I have found a motorhome.
I visited Germany last week and inspected, test drove and made a deal there and then. I travel back tomorrow to collect the vehicle.

Just to let you guys know I have found a motorhome.
I visited Germany last week and inspected, test drove and made a deal there and then. I travel back tomorrow to collect the vehicle.
Have a good trip over and enjoy the drive home.
Regards Tony

It must feel like Christmas has come early for you Hazy, I bet you,re so excited you can,t sleep:D, I,m so jealous:p

Enjoy your new van:cool:

new van

Drive carefully and enjoy!
Great news.
merry xmas

weez
Tony

Thanks Wee z

All I have to do now is negotiate the German transport system which seems to be doing it's very best to scupper my plans :confused:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back