What is the battery for

badgerfamily

Hi

I might make myself out to be a bit dim with this question but here goes...

Our new motorhome has a little solar panel in the window about 30cm long by 10cmwide. It is attached to a little battery under the seat. What could it be for. The battery is quite small.

This is our first motorhome and we have not had the chance to use it yet so I am very wet behind the ears:eek:

Toni

What voltage does it say the battery is? My GUESS (and it is a guess) would be a trickle charger for a mobile phone oor something similar?

Hi there, sounds like a little solar trickle charger for to keep the battery topped-up when your not using the van for sometime. I've got one attached to my liesure battery, not sure if it does much, but might help.

All the best, enjoy your camper

Hi there, sounds like a little solar trickle charger for to keep the battery topped-up when your not using the van for sometime. I've got one attached to my liesure battery, not sure if it does much, but might help.

All the best, enjoy your camper
That's what it sounds like to me too, a solar trickle charger to keep the starter battery topped up when the motorhome is not in use.

It would be useful if the OP told us a bit more detail, such as the make & model of the motorhome, which seat the battery is under and approximately what size is the battery.

AndyC

That's what it sounds like to me too, a solar trickle charger to keep the starter battery topped up when the motorhome is not in use.

It would be useful if the OP told us a bit more detail, such as the make & model of the motorhome, which seat the battery is under and approximately what size is the battery.

AndyC

I always thought trickle chargers went direct to the main 12 volt battery, not via another smaller one. Maybe wrong?

I always thought trickle chargers went direct to the main 12 volt battery, not via another smaller one. Maybe wrong?
The problem is that we don't know much about the OP's setup!

A small panel such as the one described would keep a starter battery (which could well be smaller than the leisure battery and is fitted under a cab seat in some vans) charged if the van was not used for a while or if, when on hookup, the on-board charger did not charge the starter battery.

Of course the battery in question may possibly not be the starter and may have been fitted by the previous owner for another purpose entirely, we won't know until the OP comes back with a bit more detail. Maybe they could ask the previous owner what it's for...

AndyC

I dont think it is attached to anythng, I cant see any wires other than the solar ones. I will have a look at the voltage tomorrow as its in storage and let you know more.

many thanks for your replies

Toni

I dont think it is attached to anythng, I cant see any wires other than the solar ones. I will have a look at the voltage tomorrow as its in storage and let you know more.

many thanks for your replies

Toni

Sounds like a spare or backup battery kept on a trickle charge to keep it topped up. If its a small solar pannel it will not provide enough power to regularly run much. Is the battery easily removed or are there wires to charge it via the alternater. How big is it?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back