What is required for a POI?

Norfolk NewBoy

I'm not a dedicated "wilder" although I've used aires/stellplatz abroad and did quite a few nights in wild spots on the Hebrides and NC500.
Driving to be with family this weekend I passed several large laybys along the A19 in North Yorkshire and the A66 in Teesside, with none of them marked on the App. Knowing places like that exist could be worth it for me, because they then provide potential stopping places for a coffee or just a chance to stretch my legs. I almost certainly wouldn't sleep in them, because they are close to where I want to stay but for others they might represent a lifeline. All of them are far more attractive than some of the spots marked near to me, some of which are small muddy areas adjacent to fairly busy roads.

Should I enter them on the database, even though I don't know if overnighting is allowed?

Gordon

You need to be cautious about laybys.

From a safety standpoint it's essential that there is physical separation from the running highway e.g. a verge, or barrier, or maybe it's an old part of the highway created by a road improvement scheme.

Another consideration is vehicle lighting. Legally your vehicle should have parking lights switched on at night assuming the layby is not in an urban area. If you're parked off the carriageway it's unlikely you will be challenged.

Unless a Traffic Regulation Order is in place you are entitled to stay in a layby overnight.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Thanks

However, what I would like to know (as a newcomer) is "do people want to know about these things?", especially in an area with a dearth of marked spots.

Believe me, I would be very unlikely to spend a night in a layby abutting a main road: I don't like staying in them for a 10min coffee break! :rolleyes:

BUT the laybys that I saw were upto 20metres off the main carriageway, separated by grass (and sometimes trees) and doubtlessly formed part of the old road 55y ago, before the A19 was dualled and straightened. However, I didn't even drive through them let alone stop and I just want to know if people appreciate advance warning (I have icons on my satnav which allow me to anticipate things as I get within 200metres of them) or whether etiquette demands that "wildcamping" spots have actually been camped upon.

I'm always willing to help if I can but I don't wish to be criticised for exceeding any restrictions.:(

Gordon

There are definitely some layby's on the poi's. Please do add any that have decent separation from the road. :)

Reactions: REC
There are definitely some layby's on the poi's. Please do add any that have decent separation from the road. :)
Agreed. It is not necessary to have stayed the night provided the layby is inherently safe.

Ayrshire.
Anyone considering visiting Ayr or Girvan take note of the new motorhome parking restrictions in force!
Ex Greeny.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back