What do you call yours???

Admin

Administrator
I feel like opening a can of worms...

So here we go.

If we took the dictionary definition of "wild camping" it would not involve a motorhome. However the term "wild camping" has been used by motorhomers for as long as I can remember. So I have renamed our "wild camping" section "overnight stops" as this seems to be a better description. But what do you think the correct name should be that broadly describes this activity?

Now where is that tin hat? :ninja:

I see what you mean

Although some of the Poi's are in wild and secluded positions most are just off a road in a layby or car park which can't be described as wild.
Also I would say people stay mostly one maybe two nights and shouldn't set up camp so the word camping isn't correct.
So overnight stops does describe the Poi's better.

When I first started doing it 25 years ago my partner and I referred to them as "parking up spots" which became shortened to "pus" pronounced "pussie" 😊

Just to keep the grammar similar, perhaps 'wild camping' should become 'overnighting'?

Overnight stops.

Very few can be called 'wild' as they can be accessed by vehicle and 'camping' definitely gives a misleading picture - we are after all; just parking. :ninja::idea-007:

I think "overnight stops" is the right name, but it seems to me that there are three separate categories of stopping places that may be in one POI file, but are different in nature:

1. Places where a motorhome can park, not necessarily overnight.

2. Places where a self-sufficient motorhome can park overnight.

3. Places where a camper van without toilet facilities can stop overnight.

And to further confuse these categories, some have height or access limits.

Right now, the POI points differentiate between urban and rural, between layby and carpark, but not really between 1, 2 or 3.

I don't see the need to differentiate POIs in this way. The POIs are intended to locate places where an overnight stop is likely to be possible.

Given this is a motorhome focused website, the vast majority of our vehicles are self-contained which also removes the need for categorisation as you suggest.

As far as I'm aware none of the POIs have height restrictions - if any are notified they are removed. Access limitations where known, due to weight, width etc, are described in the comments for the POI, and the POI name enclosed in square brackets.

We're not camping 'cos we're staying in our motors but we are stopping wherever we like (subject to good behaviour) so what about wild parking?

Alternatively, carry on as we are and avoid the confusion of change. If it ain't broke ...

Stopovers. That is what we do and it says it all. It does not infer that we are expecting to get something free which is what a lot of non motorhomers think we do.

Bernie

Last edited:
Both overnight stops or stopovers sounds good. The camping bit can give the wrong impression to those people who live in the world of houses, hotel holidays, and even the caravan brigade who like the uniformity and organisation on campsites.

WC is close enough, IMO it's not really important as long as we all know what we mean :)

The "Wild Camping" spots in the POI from what I have seen are usually anything but "wild" so it does make sense to use another name.
The Aussie/NZ terms of "Freedom Camping" & "Free Camping" is quite a good alternate name IMO, but as I understand it these terms seem to be used more for the free campsites rather then laybys and side-roads.
And the way the US RVers use the term "Boondocking" seems to relate very closely to the environments the POIs are typically in.
I quite like the term "Stealth Camping" as well to identify places in an urban environment.

I won't deny using more descriptive terms for the various POIs to differentiate Town, Rural and Country would be nice (just can't recall what the current various very similar terms mean)

Perhaps list as
1. Wild camping.

2. Urban camping.

We have wildcamped for 45 years as in wild camped we have never urban camped but there are members that would never wild camp

Alf

I feel like opening a can of worms...

So here we go.

If we took the dictionary definition of "wild camping" it would not involve a motorhome. However the term "wild camping" has been used by motorhomers for as long as I can remember. So I have renamed our "wild camping" section "overnight stops" as this seems to be a better description. But what do you think the correct name should be that broadly describes this activity?

Now where is that tin hat? :ninja:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back