What do yo use for wi(fi &internet

On our last trip to France, Portugal and Spain I used a 50gb data SIM from Vodaphone, it was a monthly one at £30 a month, which you could cancel anytime, we used it for 3 months cost £90.00 in total, this allowed you to use the full 50gb whilst out of the UK, was not throttled like most others are when you are out of the UK, used it in a mifi device. I also had three unlimited SIM in my phone that I also used to thether the firestick for the TV on, but you only get 19gb to use in the EU.

I noticed that the three data did seem to be as strong as the Vodaphone speed, but that could have been because I was using a mifi device with the Vodaphone sim.

We also had another phone with a Tesco mobile SIM that piggybacks to the O2 network, but we got a text saying we only had two weeks use out of it, before we would be charged for any additional Data, we had spent 6 weeks out of the UK in November and December returning to the UK for Xmas and New Year before setting off again in January, O2 do not restart the clock again unfortunately on returning to the UK, they are strict in that you can only spend two months out of the UK, then you would have to spend the next two months back in the UK in order for it to be reset, I have now sacked that contract off as I had no issues using my phone for the same amount of time with three.

I have now put the wife's phone from Tesco to Three on there unlimited plan, mine is already on Three, but it is due for renewal of contact in March, ideally I would like to change mine to either EE or Vodaphone, don't want all my eggs in the same basket and that way if I don't get a signal on one there is a chance I would get it on the other. With this combination it did not matter where we were, we could always get a signal for the firestick, so she who should be obeyed was always able to watch her Coronation Street.😭

Slight correction, Smarty cap roaming data at 20 GB, same as Three, but it is still an excellent deal. If that is a new Vodafone contract there might also be a roaming cap nowadays, worth checking.

I've checked both and you are correct, Smarty do impose a cap when roaming but they said it is a maximum 19GB per month regardless of unlimited or higher data limits that contracts provide for while in the UK. I took out the Vodafone deal last summer and I can use the full 100GB when roaming.

No telly.
12 gigs on.a 3 sim only contract, Unlimited texts, free 3 to 3 calls, 600 minutes calls to Europe and ' feel at home countries. Roaming and tethering
£13 a month.
5 gigs on a Portuguese WiFi hotspot..
For when the 3 signal is worse than usual.
Tethering and roaming.
10 Euros a month.
Radio, Jango ,YouTube, web.. no problem.

I've checked both and you are correct, Smarty do impose a cap when roaming but they said it is a maximum 19GB per month regardless of unlimited or higher data limits that contracts provide for while in the UK. I took out the Vodafone deal last summer and I can use the full 100GB when roaming.

Still not quite correct, Three and Smarty fair usage is 20GB, it used to be 19 but that changed a while ago.

See https://smarty.azureedge.net/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf page 9 "fair usage".

Still not quite correct, Three and Smarty fair usage is 20GB, it used to be 19 but that changed a while ago.

See https://smarty.azureedge.net/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf page 9 "fair usage".
Every little helps!

I got the 19GB figure from an email from Smarty in response to me asking for clarification
52F78A78-FB15-4FB2-9F95-0DBB54D84067.png

Vodafone unlimited data from £23 a month.
3 are doing 6 months £10, then 6 months at £20 = £15 a month.

I have a feeling they are phone sims. As far as I know vodafone don't do an unlimited data sim for use in a mifi or 4G router. Those are meant to be used in phones. However. I'm pretty sure there was a recent eu directive that states you have to be allowed to put any sim in any device so in theory that sim should work in a mifi or 4g router but I dont know anyone who has tested it. Of course all that could go out of the window post transition period as could the roaming charges return.

Vodafone I have found abroad to be really good as regards signal and usage but they are renowned for being a bit slippery. I remember when they removed the passport scheme and data traveller many moons ago which I relied on for usage abroad and despite me being on contract with them and despite me getting it in writing that they would not be removed until my contract was up they removed them anyway mid trip.

Moneysavingexpert.com have a link on their website for a 3 Mobile sim with unlimited data, calls and texts for £16 per month on a 12 month contract (EU Roaming data is limited to about 20GB per month). The deal is only available through their link and it is available until Monday 3rd Feb.

75D4D9FD-2290-478F-9F28-76DDE6BD3B03.png

I have a feeling they are phone sims. As far as I know vodafone don't do an unlimited data sim for use in a mifi or 4G router. Those are meant to be used in phones. However. I'm pretty sure there was a recent eu directive that states you have to be allowed to put any sim in any device so in theory that sim should work in a mifi or 4g router but I dont know anyone who has tested it. Of course all that could go out of the window post transition period as could the roaming charges return.

Vodafone I have found abroad to be really good as regards signal and usage but they are renowned for being a bit slippery. I remember when they removed the passport scheme and data traveller many moons ago which I relied on for usage abroad and despite me being on contract with them and despite me getting it in writing that they would not be removed until my contract was up they removed them anyway mid trip.
Our Vodafone phone SIM works in the mifi, tried it the other day. Unfortunately still doesn't get a signal in our barn, so the 100gb data is no use....and I ccould have used it all as it is pre the new cap of 25gb :rolleyes:
As the three SIM only contract from our UK home works ok this year ( no t great but at least a signal!) I have ordered the smarty SIM to replace my Vodafone which runs out of contract March anyway. Just had an offer from them to continue on same terms but would be £40 month!! Not even thinking about post transition, when we might have to reconsider everything!

As things stand, I won’t be going abroad , albeit when I was living in France orange fr seemed best data deal ,and coverage was good

Today I use my EE phone as a hotspot pay £23 a month inc vat and that gives 100 gb of data unlimited calls and texts 12 month deal ...so far never been capped and never had a problem with 4 g coverage

Only niggle someone sent me a pic message and got charged a few pence...send pics by fab messenger can ring via FaceTime too all included in the deal

Only niggle someone sent me a pic message and got charged a few pence...send pics by fab messenger can ring via FaceTime too all included in the deal
Face Time doesn't work on Android phones but a good way of sending pictures or even a video call for free is WhatsApp, it works on all platforms and encrypted on both ends

Just a thought but I know someone who has the vodafone mobile broadband and they just renegotiated their contract and got 100gb for £18 or so they say. Not sure if that included VAT or not but Voda are often good to haggle with if your contracts coming up.
I’ve just been offered 110GB per month for 12 months without roaming cap on Vodaphone by supplier of MIFI equipment.

I have a 3 dongle sim only deal £11 for 40gb and reception is good in most areas

My heads a buzz with all this wiggles wongles dongles wifi mifi etc and the prices,must have money to burn. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back