t&s

for me not norton it seem to slow things down
and avg slows down start up but is good for e mail
what is your preference ?

Anti Virus = AVG Free

Firewall = Zone Alarm

Spy ware = Spy Bot

- and if a "Naughty" gets past that lot, then I wouldn't know what to do

At one time, Symantic (Norton) was superb. Unfortunately, like Microsoft, ail they have done over the years is "bolt" more and more onto their package. The result is that it now very clumsy

Last edited by a moderator:
Never use Norton when there is another scanner on your system. They interfere and slow your system dramaticly down. Norton is good but it doubles repairmachinery which is standard in windows.
Only Ad-aware (free deepscanner) can be used together with other virusscanners. Download it and try it out; you'll be amazed how many bugs your normal virusscanner did oversee !

AVG Free for me, and Spybot, between them theres nothing got past for a long time.;)

i use avast 4 .8 and its free it has never let anything past it and it updates its self every day

Never use Norton when there is another scanner on your system. They interfere and slow your system dramaticly down. Norton is good but it doubles repairmachinery which is standard in windows.
Only Ad-aware (free deepscanner) can be used together with other virusscanners. Download it and try it out; you'll be amazed how many bugs your normal virusscanner did oversee !

i have tried a few diffrent anti virus free trials and believe that if you dont sign up they install something that makes your compiter worse just to make you buy thrre product
i used to use adware but i niw got microsoft free trial and microsoft recomend not to use any other spyware
i must say my computer is running faster since going with the free trial
an to date no slow down as i used to get with the others
mind you i dont leave it on all the time i only turn it on when i need to
diffrent with the one at work it stays on all the year but its so slow
but i get paid for the waiting so it dont matter

thank you all for your answers theres a couple i have not tried yet
so i will give them a try
the reason i asked was i had a spell of virus atacks whilst using adaware and avg all went tits up and i lost 6 years of work all dissapeared even though i backed all up to cds
but i had to re install xp
then all files had dissapeared and it would not read any cds i had coppied except some excel and word documents
i tried microsoft onecare it found 12 viruses and the computer seemed to run better
so i am now with them for the free trial
but thinking of the cost i am looking for a free replacement
cheers terry

computer help please

a small red x in a small white square
what dose it mean comes up on some sites instead of a picture or logo
i assume

I use Linux, Ubuntu Linux to be precise. Linux doesn't suffer from virus/spyware/malware attacks at all, so have no need for a virus scanner. I use my Wifi router as a firewall.

I use Panda Internet security as does just about everybody I know.
I have used it for years now with no problems.

And.....

If you buy it from Panda Direct it will cost £42.99!
If you buy a OEM copy from ebuyer it will cost £5.99..... yes I did say £5.99!

link: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138904

When we start saying that our operating systems are not attacked by the Nutters I think that we should be very careful. Apple always used to make out that there were no Virus on their OpSys. One couldn't say that now.
Now bearing in mind that Apple now run on a Unix varient and so is Linux in its various guises. It would not take much for a Nutter whose "gruntle" had been "dissed" to modify the code, now would it?
After all, there even virus about for Mobile phones: how pathetic is that?
The thing to remember about a lot of virus that have been created is that they have usually done by some friendless little nerd. It is their way of making the World take notice of them.
It usually works because if the Yanks get their paws on them, its off to the Big House and they can get real friendly with Big Bubba :D

i use avg and adaware,quite good i found norton very strict..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back