What a shock that was for us this morning!

Got 800 Litres of Oil last November for just under £300.
Got 600 Litres of Oil last week ... £321! Price change from 35p/L to 59p/L in under a year.

Yes last year I paid 0.22ppl and then 0.35ppl but all my price updates for the past few months have been 0.46ppl upwards.

Its clearly not just going to be Gas. Electricity looks like its going upwards and I just checked heating oil and got a quote at 69p a litre (random site on line) I think we filled up before we went away at 39p a litre.

Ill also be looking for a new Electric supplier when we get home as I was also with Symbio but we are not big users of electric. Mainly oil. It is what it is I guess but its going to cripple some people.
54.0 tops a ltr here.
oil prices 10 10 21.png

Its clearly not just going to be Gas. Electricity looks like its going upwards and I just checked heating oil and got a quote at 69p a litre (random site on line) I think we filled up before we went away at 39p a litre.

Ill also be looking for a new Electric supplier when we get home as I was also with Symbio but we are not big users of electric. Mainly oil. It is what it is I guess but its going to cripple some people.

We're having a delivery of oil tomorrow Barry. 54p per litre including VAT from Total.

Lol! It might become cheaper to spend the winter in the van. I might do that. My neighbour has a 240V socket outside I'm sure. I'll just plug into that, 2kw leccy fire, twenty cases of Leffe and a couple of cases of Scotch and that's winter sorted! :D might need some food. I'll let Mrs D worry about that.

The XYZABC annoying thing about these energy supplying companies is that they use our money to stay in business!

Take for instance Octopus with whom we have been with for several years on our £80 per month DD agreement and before that EON & EDF, you merrily automatically keep on paying your automatic monthly DD payments, BUT unless you closely check your monthly bills, the credit in your account can and does keep adding up and at one time I happened to notice we had accrued a quite significant sum, where I thought we would far sooner have that money in our account rather than theirs!

So, from that day on, I have only ever allowed them to build up a quite small amount of credit for the account rainy day and we have kept the rest..... much to the displeasure of the server!!

The situation is worse than it looks.
The government refused to support maintenance of gas storage facilities a few years back, so the UK has almost no gas storage.
Several nuclear plants are not running (unspecified technical issues, I guess).
Two thirds of the interconnect from France was lost due to a fire.
There has been a lot less wind than usual (and remember the government stopped new onshore wind farms).
I can't see that the Russians or Brexit are to blame for any of this.
The residential fuel price cap is less than the cost of the supply, so lots of power companies are losing money. Expect a big rise in the cap (and your bills) next April.
The fixed price deals on offer today are way too expensive. Unless you're fortunate enough to be on a fixed deal with a company that's still in business, start saving.
The price cap doesn't apply to businesses. They're screwed already.
Electricity costs will go up just about as fast, so it may end up that electricity is only five times as expensive as gas, instead of six times as expensive, as it was.
What you pay each month doesn't really matter: they're just slices off the bill. What you pay per day and per KWh is what decides the total bill amount you will pay. Energy companies are not just desperate for money: they're also trying to get accounts in credit to lessen the bill shock when prices rise.

We are currently on an energy contract with Octopus and pay an £80 monthly fee which covers both gas &electricity.

Our contract comes to an end in mid Nov. and today we had a like for like new contract quote from them for an eye watering £257 per month, or in other words, a 220% increase
😭

Bloody Russians!!!!
Been thinking about this and there is a way to avoid them seriously overcharging you.....tell them you intend to cancel your direct debit and intend to pay when your bill drops through the letterbox. It will cost a bit more but not as much as their plan.....they are using everyone paying by DD as their personal bank.

As with most other things this country has outsourced power as much as it can to get deals with Europe and run down our own facilities. You may not have to worry too much about any rises next spring as we may be in total anarchy before then. Look how it went when BP chairman just suggested some forecourts only had two thirds of their capacity, (did anyone query what the norm for capacity was?). If we had a real shortage we could have rioting within a few days that could end up with either a police state or government toppling.
Time for change in this country is well overdue but until enough folks say enough is enough continue to pay out.

In the old days kids were sent out to nick coal from other folks bunkers and coal that fell of the railway wagons.

We were after some 18mm marine ply last week for mates lorry build. Cheapest we could find that had any was £116 for an 8x4 sheet. Scandalous how costs have spiralled

We were after some 18mm marine ply last week for mates lorry build. Cheapest we could find that had any was £116 for an 8x4 sheet. Scandalous how costs have spiralled
Used to make it in spanboard outside Coleraine, cost £18 a sheet, firm closed about 10 years back, all Chinese sh-t they sell now.

Our local shed/fence builder has seen a doubling in price of his timber in the last 18 months!

Just don't feel sorry for these big companies, any loss they claim is on projected profits. If they see a real loss coming they shut down quicker than you can blink to protect themselves.

Last edited:
As with most other things this country has outsourced power as much as it can to get deals with Europe and run down our own facilities. You may not have to worry too much about any rises next spring as we may be in total anarchy before then. Look how it went when BP chairman just suggested some forecourts only had two thirds of their capacity, (did anyone query what the norm for capacity was?). If we had a real shortage we could have rioting within a few days that could end up with either a police state or government toppling.
Time for change in this country is well overdue but until enough folks say enough is enough continue to pay out.
I do wonder if we are witnessing the cracks in the foundations and the beginning of the fall of the globalisation empire, all empires fall.

I mentioned to my wife recently that in a few years I want to start teaching my boy basic bushcraft skills and when my skill set is exhausted we go on courses together with the long term aim that can survive outside of urban areas if need be.

What is worrying is that I didn't get a raised eyebrow look but rather a nod of approval...........

Maybe the approval was the 'boy free' weekends on the horizon and not her belief in near future armageddon 😆

I did get the raised eyebrow when I mentioned buying some crossbows while still legal 😂

I did get the raised eyebrow when I mentioned buying some crossbows while still legal 😂
Buy an air rifle, and then (with permission) you can hunt with it, or you could go full on preper and get a SGC/FAC. 😜

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back