What’s the best way/ place to sell a motorhome?

Shockingdog

Free Member
Sadly due to a change in circumstances we are having to sell our van. Can members
tell me where is the best place to sell a van ? What are the pitfalls to look out for, .scams etc
Any advice is welcome. It’s Swift Bolero 630EK 2008. Mileage 38,043. Same owner the last 12 years.
Thanks

Facebook market place as you have control, ebay good if cash in hand in a bank, no test pilots unless monies up front, same wit f book, make sure they are insured for a test or you drive them.

You could try it on here and the sister site motorhomer as it won’t cost anything then as Trev says eBay or Facebook
If you use eBay do it on a classified advert about £13 for a month.
When you have a buyer do bank transfer but make sure you see the funds in your account before handing over the keys.
Even if they show you it as a transfer from their bank don’t let it go until it’s showing in your account, as there are some fake accounts around.
If taking cash don’t let it go until you have gone to the bank with them and deposit it into your account.
As there is also plenty counterfeit money about.

Last edited:
i sold my bessie through e bay you can sell it with a set fee rather % of sale price , i also advertised it on the bessacar owners club on facebook with a link to the item that is where my sale came from , as trev says be carefull bank transfer is ideal my buyer knew bessie’s & was only upgrading so did a deal i took him for a test by the time we got back money had gone though ,

eBay is best use a classified ad 30 day £20 ish, avoid Motorhome depot type outfits, they just want your money.

Take plenty of pictures in and out, one from each corner for exterior, show bed made up, if it can have singles post lengths, show table laid for a meal, it all helps as you're selling a dream really, ensure that you can show it all working, I normally take a picture showing hot water (steam) coming out of the kitchen tap, write a decent description as it's a motorhome and it's white will have them move on to the next ad, have a 3/4 view of the front as you main picture.

I've bought and sold 12 vans so have a rough idea what works, a smiley attitude on the phone and when viewing make a big difference, we've bought off some real surly buggers.

Good luck.

Slightly surprised nobody seems to mention Autotrader...
They have a motorhome section.
All the provisos re Ebay etc apply.
I sold a car got a few fishermen but a genuine buyer.
We agreed the price was non negotiable.
He came, i took hime for a test drive (I drove ...insurance) he bought.
He transferred the cash (bank).
I checked, he organised insurance and drove the car away.
About 1 hour.
A bit more to it with a motorhome but....
Yes good information etc needed and a sensible price !

eBay is best use a classified ad 30 day £20 ish, avoid Motorhome depot type outfits, they just want your money.

Take plenty of pictures in and out, one from each corner for exterior, show bed made up, if it can have singles post lengths, show table laid for a meal, it all helps as you're selling a dream really, ensure that you can show it all working, I normally take a picture showing hot water (steam) coming out of the kitchen tap, write a decent description as it's a motorhome and it's white will have them move on to the next ad, have a 3/4 view of the front as you main picture.

I've bought and sold 12 vans so have a rough idea what works, a smiley attitude on the phone and when viewing make a big difference, we've bought off some real surly buggers.

Good luck.

Thanks Pudsey for your wise words. I will stay clear of the brokers etc. EBay sounds the best way to sell it.

I do look at the others, but never bought from Gumtree, too many scammers on there, I did buy one off Autotrader, but I find fewer private sellers on there, the best thing about Ebay is there is no limit on your description, only 12 pictures max, but you can get watchers to ask for more pictures so worth taking more than the 12.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back