Western Isles Tax on Visiting Motorhomes

It's not just about free camping it's about being able to stop when you are too tired to drive safely at night.

If the proposed tax is used to subsidise the provision and maintenance of Elsan points and water supplies, then I’m all for it. I think it’s morally and ecologically beneficial, and will benefit us in the long term.

Re CalMac, I’ve missed that. What’s the actual rule now? Can I queue if I’ve prebooked?

yes if you prebook you just turn up as normal and get in whatever lane they tell you to. You just cant wait for a ferry without a reservation like you use to (I think) I travelled on one back from Arran a week back and prebooked but for the first time ever when I booked it it was six or seven days before there was anything free.

yes if you prebook you just turn up as normal and get in whatever lane they tell you to. You just cant wait for a ferry without a reservation like you use to (I think) I travelled on one back from Arran a week back and prebooked but for the first time ever when I booked it it was six or seven days before there was anything free.
Thank you for the clarification. I’ll bear that in mind.

It's not just about free camping it's about being able to stop when you are too tired to drive safely at night.
Is it though? Really? I can’t be the only one to think that I’ve driven for very many decades and I’ve never had to stop and sleep overnight in a beauty spot because I was too tired to drive safely.

My fear would be that if we use that argument, we dilute the real message and also make it easy to be dismissed. Which then dismisses the bigger argument by association.

Just my opinion obviously, I’m not dismissing the general safety message to not drive when tired etc.

Is it though? Really? I can’t be the only one to think that I’ve driven for very many decades and I’ve never had to stop and sleep overnight in a beauty spot because I was too tired to drive safely.

My fear would be that if we use that argument, we dilute the real message and also make it easy to be dismissed. Which then dismisses the bigger argument by association.

Just my opinion obviously, I’m not dismissing the general safety message to not drive when tired etc.
If the real message is we want free camping in our expencive motorhomes won't do us any favours .as now their are many more motorhomes looking for free spots . All we can hope for is resenably price air types stops .councils are not interested and direct us to sites we do not need or want to use .

Certainly, for me, it is not about free camping. It is about not wanting to be herded into the same space as a load of other people. This is why I'm not sure that I would like Aires any more than I would like campsites.

Give me a remote/isolated spot miles from any neighbour - perfect!

As for the expensive motorhome not then paying for accommodation argument - surely that is why they're so expensive - so that they can be self-sufficient.

Certainly, for me, it is not about free camping. It is about not wanting to be herded into the same space as a load of other people. This is why I'm not sure that I would like Aires any more than I would like campsites.

As for the expensive motorhome not then paying for accommodation argument - surely that is why they're so expensive - so that they can be self-sufficient.

I know what you mean. I think most on this site probably love to find remote wild spots on their own away from the madding crowd. Trouble is its proving more and more difficult. Sites like "Search for Sites" and various groups on facebook etc have them all covered now and as we know the country has gone motorhome crazy. Its honestly felt like being in France this year, with vans everywhere. Right now we are nearing the end of a trip we started in June and I think we are going to finish up in the Lake District this week at some point but just reading stuff online I think we might struggle to find wild spots or sites or CLs!!

A lot of places I called up in Dumfries and Galloway were full, especially on weekends even now! So in some cases even if you wanted a site or CL you might not get one so something has got to give. Its one thing trying to herd everyone onto sites but if the sites are all full then where are these surplus vans going to go?

I know what you mean. I think most on this site probably love to find remote wild spots on their own away from the madding crowd. Trouble is its proving more and more difficult. Sites like "Search for Sites" and various groups on facebook etc have them all covered now and as we know the country has gone motorhome crazy. Its honestly felt like being in France this year, with vans everywhere. Right now we are nearing the end of a trip we started in June and I think we are going to finish up in the Lake District this week at some point but just reading stuff online I think we might struggle to find wild spots or sites or CLs!!

A lot of places I called up in Dumfries and Galloway were full, especially on weekends even now! So in some cases even if you wanted a site or CL you might not get one so something has got to give. Its one thing trying to herd everyone onto sites but if the sites are all full then where are these surplus vans going to go?
Barry, if concerned about Lakes maybe turn left instead. We did 3 nights in North Dale's recently, 2 nights we had the location to ourselves and the other night we shared it but funnily enough the other camper hadn't planned to stay there but a road closure forced it. The only concentration of Wilders we saw was next to the Ribblehead viaduct when heading back south

Barry, if concerned about Lakes maybe turn left instead. We did 3 nights in North Dale's recently, 2 nights we had the location to ourselves and the other night we shared it but funnily enough the other camper hadn't planned to stay there but a road closure forced it. The only concentration of Wilders we saw was next to the Ribblehead viaduct when heading back south

Thanks but I live in the North Yorkshire Dales :D So I would in effect be going home. The Lakes is a final stopover on our way home to be honest. If its crammed still we will just hop over the A66 back home (Richmond / Barnard Castle).

The last part about mororhome users leaving rubbish and human waste is laughable! Ive never done such a thing and never seen it happen on my travels around home in Aberdeenshire and Cairngorms. I’ve had a couple of Karen’s with dogs try to scold me about overnight parking and giving the same human waste comment. As soon as I mention dog waste hanging off trees like Christmas decorations they soon scurry off 😂

My relatives on the outer Hebrides have said how good it was to see the visitors return. They also noted how few motorhomes got there. The quotes from "islanders" further up this thread were not island names. They also have difficulty getting ferry bookings when they need to get off or on the Islands on specific dates. They do not blame the visitors. They blame mismanagement at Cal Mac.

I agree linkhouse.
We all have different interpretations of what wild camping is, and we all have different tastes, and in a better world what you and I want would be achievable.
Some want more aires, and others don’t, some remember better days when there were less vans and more places to park.

What do I want, well it’s really simple. I want to be treated like the decent, hard working, considerate person that I am. And I am sure that description applies to just about everyone on here. Like most on here I have worked all my life (50 years to be exact), I have paid all my taxes, contributed to this country, and even saved a life or two. I am not used to being treated like this, and I bitterly resent it.

I don’t want Aires, I want access to all of the places they unfairly and wrongly deny us, I want the media to stop treating us like crap, I want people to view me for who I am, and who we are, not what they have been spoon fed by the media.
I know I go on about this on here, and I make no apologies for doing so. Because what’s going on right now may define us forever.

What we need are less barriers, less signage, more elsan points, and to be welcomed wherever we go. Aires will never replace what some on here enjoyed in the past, they should only be required in towns were there are poorly positioned campsites who understandably due to the past cater more for caravans than us.
I do thank CAMpRA for all they are doing, but I would like them to concentrate more on how we are perceived, than the creation of Aires that are only necessary, because of how we have and are being treated right now in the first place.

Morning rant over.

I agree linkhouse.
We all have different interpretations of what wild camping is, and we all have different tastes, and in a better world what you and I want would be achievable.
Some want more aires, and others don’t, some remember better days when there were less vans and more places to park.

What do I want, well it’s really simple. I want to be treated like the decent, hard working, considerate person that I am. And I am sure that description applies to just about everyone on here. Like most on here I have worked all my life (50 years to be exact), I have paid all my taxes, contributed to this country, and even saved a life or two. I am not used to being treated like this, and I bitterly resent it.

I don’t want Aires, I want access to all of the places they unfairly and wrongly deny us, I want the media to stop treating us like crap, I want people to view me for who I am, and who we are, not what they have been spoon fed by the media.
I know I go on about this on here, and I make no apologies for doing so. Because what’s going on right now may define us forever.

What we need are less barriers, less signage, more elsan points, and to be welcomed wherever we go. Aires will never replace what some on here enjoyed in the past, they should only be required in towns were there are poorly positioned campsites who understandably due to the past cater more for caravans than us.
I do thank CAMpRA for all they are doing, but I would like them to concentrate more on how we are perceived, than the creation of Aires that are only necessary, because of how we have and are being treated right now in the first place.

Morning rant over.
I understand your wish to be perceived in a better light, but the media have a different agenda. Campra have enough on their hands trying to get aires, service points and changing mindsets in councils. When we have the opportunity we present a positive view but that is a different campaign. For those who use facebook the group "motorhomesandcampervansagainst litter" have been getting good local publicity in the NE of England.

I understand your wish to be perceived in a better light, but the media have a different agenda. Campra have enough on their hands trying to get aires, service points and changing mindsets in councils. When we have the opportunity we present a positive view but that is a different campaign. For those who use facebook the group "motorhomesandcampervansagainst litter" have been getting good local publicity in the NE of England.
Hi Mac, I was referring to an "ideal world" with that post Mac, I know fine well that we will never achieve that ambition.
We should all wish to be perceived better. when I say that I don't mean better than the average person out there, just the same as them.
Right now we are nowhere near that.
As you well know I do appreciate all that you and CAMpRA have done.
Keep up the good work Mac.

We're just back from 3 weeks doing Barra to Butt of Lewis which was reprise of a trip we did 3 years ago. We were very undecided about whether to go after reading all the bad press about how we would be unwelcome, but with one exception (a 'local' with English accent) we found nothing but acceptance and friendliness including from the crew on every Calmac boat we used (7 in total). The big difference this time around was that there could be no spontaneity, we had to pre-book all the crossings so the itinerary was fixed. Last time we wild camped except when we needed water & emptying (3 times), this time we only wild camped 3 times and one of those was because the ferry was cancelled due to Covid amongst the crew - that got us out of a hole because we couldn't find a single space on campsites on Skye so went back to a lovely spot near Tarbert which we remembered from the previous trip and had a great extra walk into the bargain.

This time around we ate out more and deliberately arrived with little food, fuel or gas and consequently spent well over £1500 (not including ferries) in the three weeks we were there, so I would resent any motorhome tax as I think we more than adequately contributed to the island economy. However there was a noticeable increase in motorhome numbers (about 20 just on the Oban-Barra crossing, but we only saw one European whereas in 2018 they were commonplace. The rentals were everywhere but those we saw were all well behaved and loving it.

So don't be put off by what you read on facebook, the islanders are as welcoming as ever and shops & restaurants are really pleased that we're back. There will always be moaners and you ignore them at your peril so if it costs a few quid to shut them up and open up freedom camping again I'd pay, but might be less inclined to spend on other things.

By way of comparison, we've done two 3-month trips in New Zealand in recent years where they've embraced the self-contained motorhome movement, with most small towns having a waste disposal & water facility - usually free - but even there I was verbally disapproved of by a lady in a village service station despite just having spent $300 (£150) there. There's no pleasing some folk!

Think we should stop worrying about terminology too much . If there is a parking spot with an elsan dump it's an Aire .
As far as I'm aware the French were forced to provide Aires because campervans were a problem .
We all enjoy the extra freedom in France but many of the hotspots have limited access/parking in tourist season
We are still in many places in France seen as a problem
Uphill battle but I think there is some light at the end of the tunnel

We visited the outer Hebrides 3 years ago and had an amazing time, I can tell you now that I will not be back if I am taxed, with the hatred from certain groups on Facebook against us (nc500 the dirty truth) and the attitude towards us I’m going to be sticking to my normal haunts, central scotland and the beautiful north Yorkshire. As far as I can tell we as motorhomers are being deliberately targeted and hated, quite sad really

Fascinating thread. Did a tour around in the Hebrides 4 years back, mainly sites with the odd wild camp, always off grid though. We found back then that some superb wild camping spots previously recommended had been "made difficult" with tree trunks etc. so clearly there were issues back then. The explosion of MH use, which, if I am to believe what I have read, has brought about some ignorant and shamefully bad behaviours as well congestion (especially bad on the NC500).

There is a problem that needs to be solved, in fact several, ranging from congestion (land and water), messy campers, enforcement, keeping it wild despite numbers, local livelihoods, inexperienced campers/drivers and finally probably the hardest to deal with, the reputation of a majority tarnished by a minority.

New Zealand, famed for free camping and stunning landscapes, is actually quite regulated. In some areas wild camping is completely forbidden and subject to fines (on the spot I think, but never tested it!), or is restricted to specific parking areas (some very rural, some in towns); MH/Campervan wild camping is conditional on the vehicle having a self-sufficiency certificate. Since we live on a congested planet, we need regulation and services to brings us freedom, albeit controlled, because most of us want that freedom laced with comfort and convenience. Somebody who wants real freedom can pack a rucksack and walk into the hills and will be gloriously undisturbed.

So if this is more than a temporary glitch in the Scottish holiday experience (or any other rural location) then lets take a leaf out of NZ's book. It will need a gammut of sensible measures put in place to weedle out the bad'uns, make sure the right vehicles are on the road and facilities (incl information) exist to make good practice easy and bring in important revenue to the area. This will take a combination of interest groups, councils and central govt (oh no!) to make it all work in a coordinated way ... and money. Nothing can be set up for free even if in the end it is cost neutral. Along the way, some are going to feel miffed but hopefully the majority would have more freedom and better coexistence with locals than the prevailing emotions and practicalities will allow.

Now I am off to find a squadron of flying pigs, probably before the above happens!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back