Well I've done it

Well done,but you should not have sealed round it as it requires a air flow under panel to stop over heating in summer which will reduce its output by a large margin,remove the blanking plates between the corner brackets

Attachments

• sp 4.jpg
    sp 4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 51
batteries not included

Well done
The sun shines on this site
Power to ya

I've fitted my solar panel With many thanks to Channa for his guidance and encouragement I have finally bitten the bullet and installed a 100w panel to the roof of our old van. Whilst the installation won't pass any beauty contests, it's on and it works. Those who know me realise that since my nervous breakdown a few years ago I have lacked the confidence to attempt many things that I would have taken in my stride in the past. So, although it is but a small step for man, it's a major obstacle overcome here at Oppy mansions.

View attachment 36782View attachment 36783View attachment 36784

Well done Oppy ! I could only get an 80 watt panel on my roof due to roof space but it's the best investment I have made to date on my motorhome.

Gosh, that sounds a tad complicated, I've got two batteries, 300w inverter and this wonderful solar panel, and as we go forth to explore the vast wastes of Europe let's hope that everything holds together and more importantly---------------------------works.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement, and with one or two exceptions, aint this a wonderful fellowship to be part of

Well done to you, so satisfying when you complete a job on your van yourself.
Can I ask what size your batteries are? I only have 1 x 85 amp leisure battery and then the main battery and am wondering what size panel I would need to fit.

Well done to you, so satisfying when you complete a job on your van yourself.
Can I ask what size your batteries are? I only have 1 x 85 amp leisure battery and then the main battery and am wondering what size panel I would need to fit.

Whilst I am not qualified to advise on panel size there are many on here who can.
Our van is a 1996 Fiat Ducato based Lunar, it came with an 85a leisure battery under the drivers seat, I then bought a 110a to replace it, but seeing as was still holding its charge I fitted it under the passenger seat and connected it to the bigger one. Whilst this is in no way ideal (mis matched batteries) it seems to work although I do intend to replace the lower rated one soon. The panel I fitted is a 100 w one and came as a kit from eBay

Last edited:
Good work!

You'll be glad you used the cable entry that came with it. My first attempt I thought a small hole in the roof for the wire, filled with silicone would be fine. It was, until it rained hard. Next day I was on the roof fitting the same cable entry you've used. No issues since!

Rich.

Good work!

You'll be glad you used the cable entry that came with it. My first attempt I thought a small hole in the roof for the wire, filled with silicone would be fine. It was, until it rained hard. Next day I was on the roof fitting the same cable entry you've used. No issues since!

Rich.

I've turned paranoia into an art form, not only have I used the gland box, it's also filled with silicon and the drilled hole in the roof is foam filled too. My bowels turned to water going on the roof so there was no way that I was going risk having to make a return trip

I've fitted my solar panel With many thanks to Channa for his guidance and encouragement I have finally bitten the bullet and installed a 100w panel to the roof of our old van. Whilst the installation won't pass any beauty contests, it's on and it works. Those who know me realise that since my nervous breakdown a few years ago I have lacked the confidence to attempt many things that I would have taken in my stride in the past. So, although it is but a small step for man, it's a major obstacle overcome here at Oppy mansions.

View attachment 36782View attachment 36783View attachment 36784

That looks great, almost tempted to have a go myself.
Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with some interesting green decor on the roof!

That looks great, almost tempted to have a go myself.
Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with some interesting green decor on the roof!

I always fancied a roof garden, it's a bugger getting the mower up though

Good work!

Rich.

A boat deck gland is best.

Attachments

• gland 1.jpg
    gland 1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 40
  • gland 2 .jpg
    gland 2 .jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 35
  • gland 3 .jpg
    gland 3 .jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back