Well, I'm immobilised...

I had this issue on my 2018 ducato a month ago. Engine turning over but not starting. Immobiliser lock light on the dash. I tried new fob batteries, checked the fuses, central lock button internally etc... And even tried the 'dumb key'. no joy.
However, after locking and unlocking the vehicle using the fob for around half an hour, the fob light went off and I was able to get home. This "technique" worked twice.

It went into Fiat in Glasgow and they diagnosed a faulty immobiliser "aerial coil", a £13 part. Replaced and I've had no issues since.

I still have this problem.
If the padlock light doesn’t go out 2secs after switching on, it ain’t gonna start, don’t waste your battery.
On two occasions AA patrolmen with their diagnostic kit couldn’t work it out, they suggested calling in an auto electrician.
Which I did & of course when he turned up the van was starting OK.
The guy was recommended & supposed to be good. I had a problem with the electric windows which he traced to a faulty relay in the control unit, he reckoned we’d have trouble getting one for a 20 year old van so he actually made one in the back of his van.
But he couldn’t work out why the immobiliser light was staying on (sometimes), he cleaned some contacts but it has happened again.
The guy did notice that the earthing strap was warm & recommended replacement which I will do next.

sludgesurfer replaced an immobiliser “aerial coil”.
I’ve never heard of these, would a 20 year old Peugeot Boxer have one??
Any one out there have any knowledge of this??

sludgesurfer replaced an immobiliser “aerial coil”.
I’ve never heard of these, would a 20 year old Peugeot Boxer have one??
Any one out there have any knowledge of this??
Usually a ring around the ignition lock picks up the signal from the transponder chip in the key if the vehicle has a factory immobiliser .

Yes. I've seen them called various things on the many forums dealing with this issue....transponder coil/aerial/wire etc...

Basically the vehicle hardware which communicates the signal to the key to ensure the key matches the vehicle.

Thought I'd follow up on this.
I had this issue on my 2018 ducato a month ago. Engine turning over but not starting. Immobiliser lock light on the dash. I tried new fob batteries, checked the fuses, central lock button internally etc... And even tried the 'dumb key'. no joy.
However, after locking and unlocking the vehicle using the fob for around half an hour, the fob light went off and I was able to get home. This "technique" worked twice.

It went into Fiat in Glasgow and they diagnosed a faulty immobiliser "aerial coil", a £13 part. Replaced and I've had no issues since.
The AA sent a 'special unit' out the next day and they tested for specifically that, but it was not the issue.

Got recovered down to my usual garage whose approach was to get a special code number from Fiat, which they eventually did but it did not help. In the end they just had to take everything apart and I'm not even sure what it was in the end. Not just a popped fuse and not vermin attack. Got it back a few days ago so without van for best part of a month.

My Hyundai i10 does something similar especially when its cold every now and again. It wont start because the immobiliser is flashing. A few bashes on the steering column usually fixes it. Two garages scratched their heads at this but I found a hack on youtube which is basically re-routing a wire under the steering but Ive never got round to doing it.

Jeeps do something like that too, the cure is to get the key sensor deleted from the ECU so the immobilizer can't work and fit a after market one.

My Hyundai i10 does something similar especially when its cold every now and again. It wont start because the immobiliser is flashing. A few bashes on the steering column usually fixes it. Two garages scratched their heads at this but I found a hack on youtube which is basically re-routing a wire under the steering but Ive never got round to doing it.
Mysterious!

I did that on my first motorhome Barry.

You had to flick a switch before you started the van with the key and then when you stopped the engine wouldn't switch off with the key, you had to flick the switch again. Worked fine for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back