We got the SQUEEKS

QFour

How difficult is it to remove the rear brake disc and get access to brake shoes. We have disc brakes all round but the handbrake shoes are inside the drum. We have an annoying squeek when the handbrake is on so something needs some copper grease.

Fairly straigh forward but you need to remove the caliper carrier which can be tight bolts are usually lock tighted so long extension arm an socket req

Simple job, but you can find a lip on the outer edge of the drum which can make it hard to remove, when of run an angle grinder around the edge to remove any lip before refitting, I always do this on any drums and disc edges.

Fairly straigh forward but you need to remove the caliper carrier which can be tight bolts are usually lock tighted so long extension arm an socket req
Got a Snap On extending bar I use for wheel nuts hopefully be OK. I found a YouTube video but they didn't show getting the disc off. They showed some bolts and it looks like threaded holes in the disc. Assume threaded bolts to push disc off like the drum brake version.

Got a Snap On extending bar I use for wheel nuts hopefully be OK. I found a YouTube video but they didn't show getting the disc off. They showed some bolts and it looks like threaded holes in the disc. Assume threaded bolts to push disc off like the drum brake version.
Disc usually comes off easily maybe a couple of taps to start it if it holds on the shoes you may need to slacken the adjustment which is done thru one of the stud holes and like Trev says grind off any ridge before refitting. The adjustment is a bit tricky first time

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. Had a look the other day but could not find much. Will have a look on the big screen when I get home. Was thinking I may need a puller but as you say it's probably undoing the bolts that's the difficult bit. Thanks for searching.

Quick observation.
It's possible there is an axle stand being used in the video (I can't see one) but do not rely only on whatever jack you use for vehicle support.
Don't trust bricks either!
No offence intended.

Quick observation.
It's possible there is an axle stand being used in the video (I can't see one) but do not rely only on whatever jack you use for vehicle support.
Don't trust bricks either!
No offence intended.
Got some 8 x 4 blocks of wood. Wouldn't go under it without but thanks for reminding others.

How difficult is it to remove the rear brake disc and get access to brake shoes. We have disc brakes all round but the handbrake shoes are inside the drum. We have an annoying squeek when the handbrake is on so something needs some copper grease.
wd40 works on brake pads and shoes too, it stops the squeak, but that's the only thing it stops !!!! :eek: :eek:
Maybe a silly question but; is the noise whilst driving? if so it will be due to the collection of detritus in the brake drum. In the olden days it was a common fault with our cars and we used to wind our brake pads back and blow the muck out with whatever pump we had available or go to the local garage with 'free air' to do it (Blue Star at the top of Councillor Lane, Cheadle for me)

I would suggest investing in one of these tools, a universal one is only £8 but you can get full kits for all sizes for about £20, You will need a lot of pressure to push that caliper piston back and they used a huge pair of slip joint pliers, but sometimes the piston has to be turned to go back in and this tool allows you to do that.

Sorted. You need to be a gorilla to get the bolts undone. Bought a 600mm long breaker bar with 1/2 inch drive. That made life easy getting the wheel off. Once the caliper is removed there are 2 x 22mm bolts to undo that hold the caliper frame to the axle. With the long bar I finally managed to get them moving. They have thread lock on them so not easy. Drum came off after a struggle with the shoes. Nothing obvious to cause a squeak so copper greased the links and where the shoes rested and reassembled. The annoying squeak has gone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back