WC on Dartmoor news

That suspension was great fun.

I remember being stuck in a traffic jam and seeing a young boy looking very bored in the car next to me.
So I jacked the car up. He went wild . started pointed and all the adults looked at my car ... Nothing!
The adults stopped watching ... I dropped the car right down. Boy pointed; adults watched; Nothing !
This went on for about ten minutes until the jam cleared. :)

Th suspension was also useful when hitching /unhitching.

Yes I had one as well.

Great in the floods!

That suspension was great fun.

I remember being stuck in a traffic jam and seeing a young boy looking very bored in the car next to me.
So I jacked the car up. He went wild . started pointed and all the adults looked at my car ... Nothing!
The adults stopped watching ... I dropped the car right down. Boy pointed; adults watched; Nothing !
This went on for about ten minutes until the jam cleared. :)

Th suspension was also useful when hitching /unhitching.
The suspension was also good when changing wheels. Raise the suspension to the highest setting, place prop at appropriate jacking position, lower to lowest position and the wheel comes off the ground with no scissor or trolley jack required... which calls for another ditty: The day before I sailed for the South Atlantic, I was told to park the car on the parade ground at HMS Drake. I told the Officer of the Day at the time that I'd be sailing for the Falklands the next day, wouldn't be back for over six months and so perhaps somewhere less likely to need to be clear of cars might be better? Anyway, the OOD said that my car pass was valid only for the parade ground and that I must park there. Fast forward six months or so and I return to find my car has gone. So I report it stolen to the OOD (different day, different OOD), who checked and told me it had been towed almost a kilometre to another car park. I protested, citing the original OOD's orders and said I'd hold MoD responsible for any damage.
Now those who've owned a GS or GSA are probably ahead of me on this, but the suspension isn't the only unusual feature: the handbrake on these cars operates on the front wheels. When towing cars, the usual practice was to lift the car by the rear wheels as the handbrake would normally lock the rears. So, they'd lifted my car by the rear wheels and dragged the car (with the fronts locked by the handbrake) almost a kilometre. Needless to say, both front tyres were badly damaged, with one being so bad it couldn't even be driven to the nearest tyre centre. Thankfully, the suspension system made swapping the worst tyre for the spare relatively easy, allowing me to drive the 3½ miles to the tyre centre! MoD came up with the usual "you park at your own risk, even if MoD are negligent" and it was prudent not to push the issue...

I had a BX gti in the 90's, bought for pennies then, but I will never forget the first GS I saw twenty + years earlier.

I bought a caravan and the bloke gave me the BX with it as he had taken delivery of a new car and he just wanted shut of it. Nothing wrong with it apart from being a bit weird.

I loved playing with the suspension just to see peoples faces when it reared up. :)

I owned a Zantia estate it was silver and a great drive.
You had to enter a four digit code before the engine would start.
Had it for years never let me down.
But I was told they were difficult to work on.
We had a garage in Glasgow called Citroen services, I used to take it there for servicing and Mots.

The suspension was also good when changing wheels. Raise the suspension to the highest setting, place prop at appropriate jacking position, lower to lowest position and the wheel comes off the ground with no scissor or trolley jack required... which calls for another ditty: The day before I sailed for the South Atlantic, I was told to park the car on the parade ground at HMS Drake. I told the Officer of the Day at the time that I'd be sailing for the Falklands the next day, wouldn't be back for over six months and so perhaps somewhere less likely to need to be clear of cars might be better? Anyway, the OOD said that my car pass was valid only for the parade ground and that I must park there. Fast forward six months or so and I return to find my car has gone. So I report it stolen to the OOD (different day, different OOD), who checked and told me it had been towed almost a kilometre to another car park. I protested, citing the original OOD's orders and said I'd hold MoD responsible for any damage.
Now those who've owned a GS or GSA are probably ahead of me on this, but the suspension isn't the only unusual feature: the handbrake on these cars operates on the front wheels. When towing cars, the usual practice was to lift the car by the rear wheels as the handbrake would normally lock the rears. So, they'd lifted my car by the rear wheels and dragged the car (with the fronts locked by the handbrake) almost a kilometre. Needless to say, both front tyres were badly damaged, with one being so bad it couldn't even be driven to the nearest tyre centre. Thankfully, the suspension system made swapping the worst tyre for the spare relatively easy, allowing me to drive the 3½ miles to the tyre centre! MoD came up with the usual "you park at your own risk, even if MoD are negligent" and it was prudent not to push the issue...

Had a few front wheel drives which had handbrake on front wheels, Saab 99, Merc 206D van, and others. As far as I remember, only the Saab mentioned it in the manual, and it's one of the best tips I've ever had and have used when needed ever since, apart from current van. Gently applying the handbrake works as a very primitive traction control, clever.

Thinking about it now, mine was actually a BX.
The BX 19GT I had was singularly the worst car I've EVER owned ...

I had high hopes after failing to find a decent CX Familiale ...
I wanted a estate car ....actually I wanted a HUGE estate car,
BUT everything I looked at was rotten OR had issues with the complex suspension (the under bonnet plumbing looks like an explosion in a trombone factory) ...

So I gave up on the space shuttle like dashboard ...AND the multiple sun visors (ALL six of them ;-) )
And settled on a BX ....my god was it awful ...
Finally got shut of it after the Carburettor dropped apart one dark night (limped home after pulling the fuel pipe off and wedging a bolt in the end so fuel just dripped out and propped in the top of the car ...

dash8-1536x864.jpg
countvisors-1536x864.jpg

The BX 19GT I had was singularly the worst car I've EVER owned ...

I had high hopes after failing to find a decent CX Familiale ...
I wanted a estate car ....actually I wanted a HUGE estate car,
BUT everything I looked at was rotten OR had issues with the complex suspension (the under bonnet plumbing looks like an explosion in a trombone factory) ...

So I gave up on the space shuttle like dashboard ...AND the multiple sun visors (ALL six of them ;-) )
And settled on a BX ....my god was it awful ...
Finally got shut of it after the Carburettor dropped apart one dark night (limped home after pulling the fuel pipe off and wedging a bolt in the end so fuel just dripped out and propped in the top of the car ...

View attachment 136302View attachment 136303

Whilst it wouldn't have been a car I would have chosen myself it was free so I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the gobhole and I never had any trouble with it.

At the time I had a Daimler Sovereign XJ6 4.2 so it saved me the expense of having a towbar fitted to that as well as the fuel expense towing behind that.

Certainly quirky though.

Wasn't the indicator a sort of rocker switch behind the steering wheel? Vague memories of it now.
Spot on. "Idiosyncratic" was the word. The memories are flooding back.

One one occasion, a woman clipped my rear bumper and it came off on one corner. This was literally across the road from the Citroen dealer who supplied the car so I took it in for a quick quote.
"Ah" the head mechanic said "We have a special Citroen tool to fix it".
He yelled "Alf" and a man mountain in overalls came over. The Mongo like creature carefully lifted the bumper with one hand and hit it with the palm of the other. "Job done" said the head mechanic "Buy Alf a pint in the Railway some time"

I think you'll find their meaning of wild camping is a tent, not a thumping gurt motorhome 😂😂
Yes, i rather think that gurt as u say, being a west country boy myself, are not tents, and i do think that they stick out like a sore thumb when freeparking mostly anywhere. But some would say that i'm biased

Yes we do Kev.
You can pitch a tent on any unfenced land In Scotland at anytime of the year.
The only exception is Loch Lomond and the Trossachs from April to October.
But this does not apply to motorised vehicles.
The land reform act of Scotland is unique within the U.K..
When down south I find it strange with all of the private property keep out signs in rural locations. These signs would be illegal in Scotland.
But drawing comparisons with a country 3/4 the size of England with less than 10% of the population would be unfair. I don’t know if a similar act throughout England would be workable. But I do think there are areas in England and Wales where it could be applied.
With regards to Motorhome parking, we tend to have a more pragmatic approach, hence why hardly a month goes by without a new Aire being opened. Also there are now many elsan points and freshwater taps being installed.
But as already been stated what we do is not wild camping.
Sounds very positive.

Back