Water System

David & Ann

Filled up my water tanks and boiler yesterday. Went through the procedure of opening the cold and hot water tapes to remove any air in the system. When I turn on the cold taps, it works instantly, when turning the tap levers to the hot position, water does not come from the taps, instead the safety valve for the boiler opens and the water runs out onto the road. Can anyone tell me why this happens. Read the instructions, no information on this point. Perhaps you folks are able to advice me. Much appreciated.

A similar thing happened to me during our first winter with the van. It turned out that I hadn't closed the safety valve on the boiler (Truma Ultrastore) properly.

Given that the water is only running into the boiler (and out of the safety valve) when you turn on the hot tap I would guess that the system is actually working but water is escaping before it can get to the taps.

Graham

in answer

Hi, had the same thing when 1st using the system after its been laid up for some time, The safety value needs a small charge of electric to power up an holding magnet. I find that this takes a bit longer then the speed I was trying to take air out of the system. I turned on the engine, had a cup of tea, and then sorted it all out, worked just find, also make sure that you are pulling up the little tog on the value to the correct position.
let us know how you get on.
terry

Hi, had the same thing when 1st using the system after its been laid up for some time, The safety value needs a small charge of electric to power up an holding magnet. I find that this takes a bit longer then the speed I was trying to take air out of the system. I turned on the engine, had a cup of tea, and then sorted it all out, worked just find, also make sure that you are pulling up the little tog on the value to the correct position.
let us know how you get on.
terry

Hi Terry, I have tried pulling the tog up but as soon as I run the hot tap the tog goes automatically down and water escapes. I think I will try running the engine first for a while and see how it goes. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for the tip, fingers crossed.

A similar thing happened to me during our first winter with the van. It turned out that I hadn't closed the safety valve on the boiler (Truma Ultrastore) properly.

Given that the water is only running into the boiler (and out of the safety valve) when you turn on the hot tap I would guess that the system is actually working but water is escaping before it can get to the taps.

Graham

Hi Graham, I did think of it, closed the tog on the valve, but the moment I opened the hot tap, up pops the tog and water runs out. I will be trying what Terry has mentioned, run the engine for a while and see what happens. Thanks for your concern.

Hi Graham, I did think of it, closed the tog on the valve, but the moment I opened the hot tap, up pops the tog and water runs out. I will be trying what Terry has mentioned, run the engine for a while and see what happens. Thanks for your concern.

If the temperature at the boiler was under 5c the valve will dump the water. try putting the heater only (if a combi boiler) for a few minutes, then hold up the dump valve ( if it hasnt already risen) all should now be o.k. if all else fails hold the valve up with a peg clipped on to hold it up, closed, run your hot tap untill water starts flowing smoothly out of all your hot taps then heat up the water, take off the peg, if it still dumps then you have a fault.

Hi All you folks who have tried to help. Problem solved and everything is running smoothly. I tried Terry's advice by running the engine, Tresrikay advice by turning the boiler on and holding the tog closed (that is UP) It works. Thanks once again. Tomorrow I will do another trial run and see how it goes. I am sure all will be well.

hot water

do you actualy use the water heater / boiler to heat water for the taps ?
if not put a tap either side of the boiler and turn them off the heater will still work .

Filled up my water tanks and boiler yesterday. Went through the procedure of opening the cold and hot water tapes to remove any air in the system. When I turn on the cold taps, it works instantly, when turning the tap levers to the hot position, water does not come from the taps, instead the safety valve for the boiler opens and the water runs out onto the road. Can anyone tell me why this happens. Read the instructions, no information on this point. Perhaps you folks are able to advice me. Much appreciated.

I got caught with that one when we met at Cromford in Jan. It was raining at home temperature must of been down and by the time I realised we were at Cromford what a bummer :eek::eek:

Not sure with ours whether there is an automatic dump or whether the system is completely manual - from what I understand, different heaters have different arrangements.

Anyway, the main thing is you managed to get it sorted :)

Graham

if not put a tap either side of the boiler and turn them off the heater will still work .

I don't need to Terry. I can turn on the heating without boiling water. I did what you advised in your earlier post and everything is hunky-dory. Thanks again.

Not sure with ours whether there is an automatic dump or whether the system is completely manual - from what I understand, different heaters have different arrangements.

Anyway, the main thing is you managed to get it sorted :)

Graham

You are right there, my last MH, the boiler was seperate from the heating.

You are right there, my last MH, the boiler was seperate from the heating.

Our water heater and space heating are totally separate units.

I've just had a look at the manuals and on the Truma Ultrastore water heater the safety/drain valve is manual only - there is no mention of it automatically dumping when a certain temperature is reached.

Graham

Our water heater and space heating are totally separate units.

I've just had a look at the manuals and on the Truma Ultrastore water heater the safety/drain valve is manual only - there is no mention of it automatically dumping when a certain temperature is reached.

Graham

I think its all newer, since 04 combi boilers that have an auto drain, as my last van 03 C.I. had a manual drain. However it got me into the habbit of checking that the auto has kicked in, never been a great truster of auto anythings.

In answer

Glad to know that its all sorted, we our all here to help out.
terry

waste of warm water

We used to light the boiler for washing-up. One time it didn't start up (took a time to find out a fuse was gone) meanwhile we put the old fashion cettle on.
Was very amazed how much gas we spared ! Obvious; why heat 15 l if you only use 2l ? Never too old to learn and economize :rolleyes:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back