Washing, What do you do ?.

I go on a site every 7 - 10 days that has a washing machine. Think it's normally £2.50 - £4.00, although one this year was free. If desperate I can do a few undies in my little pink bwl with my holey plunger.

Yeah Caz,,That's probably one of the best solutions, if you didn't want the hassle of doing it yourself. & if the sites visited have Laundrettes, & it's only a few extra quid ofcourse it Makes sense to use them.
I have to say though, I actually Enjoy being as Self Reliant as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go on a site every 7 - 10 days that has a washing machine. Think it's normally £2.50 - £4.00, although one this year was free. If desperate I can do a few undies in my little pink bwl with my holey plunger.

That last line had me in a fit of giggles for some reason :lol-061:

We can last 2-3 weeks without needing a launderette.For longer trips we have been using a camping washing machine like this which fits perfectly in the garage.

View attachment 48661

It works very well,the drawback is that it needs a separate supply of hot water which means that we only use it when on a site.Recently though mrs wakk has been using campsite launderettes for about a fiver just because of the convenience,ease of use and no faffing around getting hot water.Anyone want to buy a camping washing machine?

IF THEY DO we have another , washing with these is pretty good, spinning dry also pretty good but rinsing and the amount of water needed for a decent wash day is beyond what we can handle, I take at least two machine loads to work with me on a Monday (family business see mother) the rest Jan hand washes and dries in the shower cubicle (roof vent open blown air heating on) works for us whilst local but when away its the local launderette .

???? REAL wilders would be out there with a stone/scrubbing brush on a river bank - we've gone waaaay too soft !!!!
I can be seen regularly in the alps doing just this, I once did it in a Scottish waterfall whilst having a shower, only when I got out and walked around the waterfall did I see loads of dead and rotting sheep in the water above where I had showered, I soon turned on the shower in the van 😩

I can be seen regularly in the alps doing just this, I once did it in a Scottish waterfall whilst having a shower, only when I got out and walked around the waterfall did I see loads of dead and rotting sheep in the water above where I had showered, I soon turned on the shower in the van 😩

did you shout EWE!!!!!!!!! when u saw the carcases

i dont think i have ironed this century !!!!!!!

I've always considered ironing a vastly over rated pastime.

I was in the launderette one day, dragging stuff out of the dryer and stuffing in my bag.

A women was watching and suggested that if I folded it, it would need less ironing.

I looked at her with a blank expression and asked "What's ironing".

It was one of those occasions when I could really have done with a miniature camera.

Like Caz, we tend to go into sites about once a fortnight to do the washing, as we carry at least 2 weeks worth of underwear. For odd little bits like socks, I hand wash them, and use a salad spinner as a spin dryer. It's surprising how much water it gets out, but only good for small quantities. (Before someone asks, NO, we don't spin salad in it as well!!)

Like Caz, we tend to go into sites about once a fortnight to do the washing, as we carry at least 2 weeks worth of underwear. For odd little bits like socks, I hand wash them, and use a salad spinner as a spin dryer. It's surprising how much water it gets out, but only good for small quantities. (Before someone asks, NO, we don't spin salad in it as well!!)

Why not ? Clean socks - clean Salad - whats not to like :cool1:

So 3 People use Laundretts so far !.
How much & how long is A wash =
How much & how long is a Dry =
In a Laundrette ?. I genuinely don't know nowadays. Do you find Parking your Motorhome nearby easy ?.
Are they 24hr ?.
All genuinely inquisitive questions.

In France you can use
Accueil - Photomaton
to find the nearest 'laverie' in supermarket car park. Wash takes 30 mins, I think that was €5, dryer €1 for 15 mins.

I usually wash by hand. Drying is the main problem for me when in the UK.

On occasion I have made hand washing a pleasurable experience rather than a chore by scrubbing by hand in an old Moorish bath house in the mountains of Spain.
I was surprised at how ergonomic everything was, angle and texture of the stone surface etc.

Oh and having the sun dry my washed clothing in an hour did add to the experience.

From a sailing forum
Experienced live aboards will tell you that the best thing that you can use to clean your clothes is ammonia. Most new cruisers are surprised by this and wonder why ammonia is better than the usual detergent for washing your clothes on a boat. The reason is simple, using ammonia instead of detergent means that you don't have to rinse your clothes clean. Why? Because the ammonia will evaporate when you hang your clothes out to dry. Detergent doesn't evaporate in the same way so, if you don't completely remove it from your clothes by rinsing with fresh water, it leaves behind a soapy residue that makes your clothes uncomfortable to wear.

An added bonus of using ammonia is that no rinsing means less water used and, for most of us, (the poor unfortunates without a fancy water maker), using less water means less trips ashore lugging heavy cans of water. That gets old real quick, trust me!

Caution, do not sniff the ammonia. Did window cleaning as a kid and was asked to get the ammonia, I asked how would I know what was ammonia (everything was in unmarked 5 litre containers) and was told I would know by the smell. 1 big sniff and I ended up like this :rolleyes2: for an hour. :wacko:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back