WARNING credit card scammed

jennyp19

We topped up with derv at a LeClerc last week - only about 40 litres. But two amounts have come out of card - 2nd one for £890. Luckily I saw them as pending on statement and got it refunded after a rigamarole of phone calls.

However after thinking about it, I think I know what has happened. When we pulled up we had to go to th lorry side of pumps as there was a height barrier on the car side. There was a lorry at the next pump and the driver was stood next to the pump - I assumed he was looking how to pay but I do remember he was stood with holding what I assumed were keys. Another lorry pulled up behind us. I actually took note of the litres and the cost, John forgot to pick up receipt though. I wonder if somehow they are able to jam the pump when it's put down as they don't clear back to zero until the next person picks up the pump. In future after we have used the pump we will be putting it back and picking up again to knock back to Zero.

Anyone else had this happen or any other thoughts.

I think it happened at a LeClerc Drive near Orleans.

I'm hoping that it was fuel because that'll be proof that it's a scam.

The one thing that doesn't seem to add up is that there are two separate amounts to pay.
I'll be copying and pasting this on to a few fb pages so it gets passed around.

Last edited:
thought the pumps had limit probably not as was truck stop but worth checking even in ukas I use the cashless pumps from time to time and don't always take the max amount

Ones in n/ireland zero once the nozzle is reholstered but shops have been at this trick,called second swipe.

Card Scammed

It is not a scam. When you pre authorise a card it initially charges the maximum allowed. You will find this payment only ever pending and will disappear when the actual amount you had is put through. The only concern is that it could affect a maximum limit.

credit at pumps

When you put your card in it gives the maximum that the card is allowed in euros. You then fill the tank which is usualy well below this figure. Make sure the higher figure has not been credited as you say there are two amounts to pay. Perhaps the higher amount is the maximum amount which is then refunded and the lower amount is the amount you actually pay for. I seem to recall something similar happening before, confusing but not unknown.

Got a phone call the other day from my Credit Card supplier "Did you use your card to pay for a £600 meal in London yesterday ?"

Me:"Nope I was in Southport, 250 miles away"

Supplier:"We know you were, you bought fuel there 30 minutes after the meal!
Did you buy a £350 dishwasher the day before yesterday, or a Meal for £350 this morning?"

Me: "Nope"

Supplier:"Your card has been compromised, please destroy it and we'll send you a new one.
We'll void those transactions, please call us if any other transactions are not yours"

Thank goodness for computerised transaction checking.

We topped up with derv at a LeClerc last week - <Snip> I wonder if somehow they are able to jam the pump when it's put down as they don't clear back to zero until the next person picks up the pump. In future after we have used the pump we will be putting it back and picking up again to knock back to Zero. <Snip>

In principle, in France the pump will not clear back to zero until you have paid.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back