Warning about being towed

Dee

We had to be towed out of a wet field yesterday and the owner used his dumper truck. An ordinary tow rope was used, the dumper got us up the slope, and my other half who was driving let the van roll back and the metal safety catch snapped off the dumper and flew back smashing our head light to pieces. Luckily it did not go back at a higher level and smash into the windscreen and me.
Lesson learnt, a better stronger tow rope to be bought

And don’t be towed at an angle, as we were is Corsica. the tow pin snapped and damaged the bumper and grill.

Had to lend our super duper tow rope to a young show off who beached his 4 Wheel drive in sand in Greece ... it’s the only outing it’s had. 🤞

I tend to splice loops in the ends of ropes and use soft shackles. Those recovery rings that screw in to the vehicle are, in my opinion, not the best thing to use either. I have pulled a few of those out of vehicles when towing them.

Only had to use it twice, but I carry a flat towing strop, not a manky bit of stretchy rope. Rolls up neatly, designed for the job, has withstood a couple of snatches, and far better than what the farmers turned up with on their tractors.

Tip, if really bogged down it's a lot easier and more controllable to be towed out backwards.

We've been towed out of motocross paddocks (wet muddy fields!) quite a few times - we have a 4 ton tow strap and not had issues although Clunegapyears post and photos a while ago was a stark warning to get towed straight! Problem we had with our first Ducato camper - tow eye wouldn't screw in (who checks these things until you're stuck?) - it was rusted up so I had to get it re-tapped to clean the threads. Filled the hole full of grease which worked fine. Our current motorhome had exact same issue and again got it re-tapped so tow eye screws all the way in. Keep it filled with grease as well. Worth doing. Bob.

Our Autotrail Ducato based MH has the thinnest towing eye I have ever seen, would not trust it, our car which is a third of the weight has a towing eye 3 times as thick.

Learn to tie a Bowline then you will not need any metal in the towline. It is a very simple knot holds very well and can easily be undone.

See Here

From my Landrover days....

Always always use a winch blanket (or at a, push a coat)
Draped over the tow line (ideally using a rated rope for towing)
IF things go titsy.... The winch blanket slows flailing bits of rope down.
Yes I saw that on a youtube video using a leather coat on the tow line.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back