wanted B to B charger

oppy

Hi folks, does anyone have a Battery to battery charger unit lying unused and unloved on a shelf somewhere? Buying a new one is a bit beyond the oppy finances at the moment, so if you have one going cheap, please may we buy it.
Ta
Peter

Last edited:
if i had one oppy...you could have it with pleasure.......you have given so much away yourself on this forum...

heres hoping someone can has one for you good man...take care

Sorry Oppy finally found it, opened the box and it’s a solar controller inside, bit annoying to say the least.

I’ll look again on Wednesday as I’m bloody sure I have one, as S&G upgraded mine last year.

Sorry Oppy finally found it, opened the box and it’s a solar controller inside, bit annoying to say the least.

I’ll look again on Wednesday as I’m bloody sure I have one, as S&G upgraded mine last year.
It's a feeling many of us experience, but thank you so much for looking and Wednesday isn't so far away !!!
I await with baited breath
Ta
Peter

If/when you install the B2B you'll need to fit new thick cables between the cab battery (or better still the alternator) and leisure battery, the B2B basically goes inline with these cables. You could fit these cables ready for when a B2B becomes available at the right price and in the meantime simply fit a high current relay in the + lead and activate it with a D+ from the ignition switch ( you'll also need this D+ lead to activate the B2B)
This relay setup will give you much faster/ better charging than you currently have and you'll probably decide a B2B isn't needed. (You can only do this if you're using lead acid leisure batteries, NO Lithium!)
Trev'll be along in a while and post his schematic and link to a suitable relay. No doubt he'll suggest an optional switch to energised the relay so that you can assist the cab battery with the leisure batteries on cold mornings or the cab battery goes flat, It'll save me the job😁

If/when you install the B2B you'll need to fit new thick cables between the cab battery (or better still the alternator) and leisure battery, the B2B basically goes inline with these cables. You could fit these cables ready for when a B2B becomes available at the right price and in the meantime simply fit a high current relay in the + lead and activate it with a D+ from the ignition switch ( you'll also need this D+ lead to activate the B2B)
This relay setup will give you much faster/ better charging than you currently have and you'll probably decide a B2B isn't needed. (You can only do this if you're using lead acid leisure batteries, NO Lithium!)
Trev'll be along in a while and post his schematic and link to a suitable relay. No doubt he'll suggest an optional switch to energised the relay so that you can assist the cab battery with the leisure batteries on cold mornings or the cab battery goes flat, It'll save me the job😁
Thanks for that, I do have some thick cables already installed by a member for a failed electrical update some time ago and when the job was re done the wiring left in situ but disconnected

Thanks for that, I do have some thick cables already installed by a member for a failed electrical update some time ago and when the job was re done the wiring left in situ but disconnected
Sounds like you're nearly there.
Cable CSA (guage ) and length will largely govern the charge current and obviously I don't know exactly what they are WRT your setup but 35mm min for shortish runs will give you some umph and ultimately anything will improve/add to the existing charge route.
Here's a relay below.
No need to faff with removing the existing split charge relay because you're basically just putting an identical but better relay/wiring in parallel with it.
Just a thought, all of the above assumes you've got a standard alternator, if it's a newfangled smart alternator then yes, you really need a B2B!

IF you need any help just ask 👍

Last edited:
Get a non isolated one if lithium lb.

I think all wet battery's are earth to vans body / chassis. Lb and starters so short earths

When I installed my B2B/leisure batteries/Inverter setup I actually didn't bother installing a 'negative' cable and used the chassis instead. Surprisingly the chassis drops slightly more volts than the 60mm positive supply cable does. I know steel isn't a particularly good conductor but let's face it, on a van there's an awful lot of it! 60mm copper still better though🤔.

Sounds like you're nearly there.
Cable CSA (guage ) and length will largely govern the charge current and obviously I don't know exactly what they are WRT your setup but 35mm min for shortish runs will give you some umph and ultimately anything will improve/add to the existing charge route.
Here's a relay below.
No need to faff with removing the existing split charge relay because you're basically just putting an identical but better relay/wiring in parallel with it.
Just a thought, all of the above assumes you've got a standard alternator, if it's a newfangled smart alternator then yes, you really need a B2B!

IF you need any help just ask 👍
35mm2 as a minimum is a bit OTT :)
The cable requirements will depend on a combination of cable run and current, but if say a 30A B2B on a run of maybe 3 Metres, there is no need to go above 16mm2.
If you look at the manufacturers installation guides for a typical 30A charger they will talk about 10mm2 and 16mm2 typically. Something like a Victron Orion-Tr Smart 30A you could not even get a larger cable than 16mm2 fitted in it.
Generally speaking, I am a proponent of going big on cables, but got to temper that against what is practical to run, practical to fit and also practical to buy (have you seen the price of cables recently? Say you went for a 70mm2 Copper (you mentioned 60mm2 but you don't get 60mm2 - goes from 50mm2 to 70mm2) and did a run of both +ve and -ve from battery to battery, you would be looking at over £30 per metre on the run. That is rather a lot of wonga when you don't need anywhere near that cable size (you might use 70mm2 Cable for a 2500W inverter pulling over 200A, but not a piddly little 30A or 50A B2B).

35mm2 as a minimum is a bit OTT :)
The cable requirements will depend on a combination of cable run and current, but if say a 30A B2B on a run of maybe 3 Metres, there is no need to go above 16mm2.
If you look at the manufacturers installation guides for a typical 30A charger they will talk about 10mm2 and 16mm2 typically. Something like a Victron Orion-Tr Smart 30A you could not even get a larger cable than 16mm2 fitted in it.
Generally speaking, I am a proponent of going big on cables, but got to temper that against what is practical to run, practical to fit and also practical to buy (have you seen the price of cables recently? Say you went for a 70mm2 Copper (you mentioned 60mm2 but you don't get 60mm2 - goes from 50mm2 to 70mm2) and did a run of both +ve and -ve from battery to battery, you would be looking at over £30 per metre on the run. That is rather a lot of wonga when you don't need anywhere near that cable size (you might use 70mm2 Cable for a 2500W inverter pulling over 200A, but not a piddly little 30A or 50A B2B).
Agree completely David WRT wiring up a B2B for all the reasons you put and also because volts dropped over the input cables will be compensated by the B2B simply drawing extra current. However when trying to get a decent charge into leisure batteries directly from the alternator (which we were talking of) then ANY volts drop at all will significantly reduce charging capacity.
Ultimately the OP already has a standard SCR which he's trying to improve on, if he's going to improve by adding a second SCR in parallel with the first then anything will be better than nothing for sure but ideally the fatter the better. Not gone into the OPs finer system details but he has already got some "fatter" cables in place so I guess he'll 'suck it and see' if he does go the relay route either temporarily/permanently. (y)
The 60mm cable I mentioned in the previous post to Jeff in my own van was doubled up 35mm so 70mm (getting old and failing on adding 35+35, pity me please :oops:) but that carries power to the inverter which unfortunately I couldn't get adjacent to the batteries hence 70mm! Very conscious about the cost of cables hence the use of the chassis for the 0V/neg too!! ;)

FWIW, I have not tried one of these and have no intention of selling them before anyone says I am touting for business, but these look good value for money assuming they work as advertised ....
40A B2B currently on sale for £130

Don't think there is anything on the market that offers that power for the same money.

FWIW, I have not tried one of these and have no intention of selling them before anyone says I am touting for business, but these look good value for money assuming they work as advertised ....
40A B2B currently on sale for £130

Don't think there is anything on the market that offers that power for the same money.
That's the one I've got David.👍
First one I got was slightly dodgy in the respect its bulk voltage seemed permanent and didn't seem to ever move to float mode. The replacement was the opposite and seemed to switch to float a little too soon. Other than that it's been as good as gold and it does get more use than most folks would give because I've got things wired up a bit odd.
The mains charger charges only the cab battery and the B2B then charges the leisure side from there. Consequently the B2B runs whenever we're on EHU.
B2B gives a genuine 40A too I might add and the 1/2 power toggle works fine also. The voltage set points aren't infinitely variable but good enough and are accurate and it has a lithium setting. Connectors are strong and sturdy and it has a nice feel. ( I'm not touting either BTW) 😊

Funney you say that as for the first time this week i had to do just that, think its time for a new starter battery as it over 10 years old. :(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back