Wales Coronavirus: 'Stay local' travel rules could end in two weeks

Don't get too excited. Self contained accommodation and static vans open from 13th July. No mention of MHs or even towed vans, so still no overnighting for us, it seems.

The Foreign Office Minster being interviewed earlier this week was finally forced into admitting that there is nothing legally anyone can do to stop you travelling abroad right now if you so wish, whether for business or pleasure. All they can ever do is 'advise' the British public not to travel.

But how that would impact on your travel insurance is quite another matter. 🙂

Surely MH are self contained ? Toilet shower ?

Exactly, but there is a distinct lack of guidance around this whole issue so far.

I guess if you are allowed to stay overnight in other household then you should technically be able to stay away somewhere overnight in your camper?

It all goes back to how much of a calculated risk you are prepared to take, and I'm not talking about 'rule breaking', but the risk to you, your family and friends re spreading the virus.

Seems it is no longer 'rule breaking' anyway, more like 'ignoring the advice and nothing anyone can do about it' 😕

A MH, pvc or, with due acknowledgement to our towing friends, caravan has to be the safest way to overnight. It's your own space uncontaminated by others. A holiday cottage, static van will need sanitising on changeover night with an inherent, albeit small, risk if not done thoroughly.
So far this penny has not dropped for those incumbents within the Welsh Government.

We always forget that no matter how big we might think camper ownership is, or travelling around wild camping in one, it is still only a minority of the population who participate in this activity, so no special reason for the Welsh Government to even consider us in their plans, I guess?

The UK is a generally an unfriendly environment for mohos and campers to start with, so I cynically doubt we will have even entered their thoughts.
Their focus will understandably be on geographically anchored businesses; official campsites, holiday cottages and other land and property-based accommodation etc.

On the other hand, we as camper owners don't have to be constrained by any of the above for at least several days at a time (y):)

Therefore the risk you are prepared to take re the virus and camping out overnight is something that can only be decided by each individual according to their own personal circumstances, imho.

We always forget that no matter how big we might think camper ownership is, or travelling around wild camping in one, it is still only a minority of the population who participate in this activity, so no special reason for the Welsh Government to even consider us in their plans, I guess?

The UK is a generally an unfriendly environment for mohos and campers to start with, so I cynically doubt we will have even entered their thoughts.
Their focus will understandably be on geographically anchored businesses; official campsites, holiday cottages and other land and property-based accommodation etc.

On the other hand, we as camper owners don't have to be constrained by any of the above for at least several days at a time (y):)

Therefore the risk you are prepared to take re the virus and camping out overnight is something that can only be decided by each individual according to their own personal circumstances, imho.

Agree that the WG will have no concept of wilding, but my thoughts were on the official campsites, be they CAMC, CCC, CLs, CSs or commercial. Hope that's not too much sacrilege on this forum!
Moving on, Mrs Number14 will be emailing our MS (Member of the Senedd - Welsh government member for those of you in England/Scotland/NI) to ask for clarification regarding campsites. If we receive a reply, I'll post it.

I think if the politicians made one rule for campsites (e.g. opening them up first), and a different rule for other holiday alternatives then:
a. it would foster even more hostility against campers, and
b. all the campsites would be rammed, noisy, and not somewhere I would want to spend my time.

I think if the politicians made one rule for campsites (e.g. opening them up first), and a different rule for other holiday alternatives then:
b. all the campsites would be rammed, noisy, and not somewhere I would want to spend my time.
I agree all self contained holiday options should open at the same time as you suggest but this is what drakeford said yesterday: "If you have a static caravan that has its own kitchen or bathroom, if you're renting a cottage or going to a hotel that has turned itself into self-contained accommodation, there will be a clear signal... that you should use the next three weeks to get everything you need in place, and you will be able to start taking bookings for after 13 July,"
To me that does not include campsites, but we shall have to wait and see.

A MH, pvc or, with due acknowledgement to our towing friends, caravan has to be the safest way to overnight. It's your own space uncontaminated by others. A holiday cottage, static van will need sanitising on changeover night with an inherent, albeit small, risk if not done thoroughly.
So far this penny has not dropped for those incumbents within the Welsh Government.
Especially now the shops are open from monday.
Previoulsy it was questions like Ah but you may spread t going to the garage for fuel etc/supplies etc.

YEs, and the sad fact is everywhere is going to be ram packed. We have a country full of people who are just waiting to get away, and wherever they go all the pubs/clubs/shops/restaurants/campsites etc will be down to at least half capacity but yet the statics sites and the like will be full, then don't forget the day trippera and tourers/motorhomes when they are allowed.

All crammed in to a late summer escape. Its gonna be busy folks, take a ticket and get in the queue.

Hmm. Because nobody thinks about motorhomes and hasn’t specifically said they can venture forth, isn’t it also the case that nobody has thought to say they can’t?
It may be statics and self contained accommodation may be permitted to open, but will you be told specifically you can leave home to go and stay in them? So many gaps for coaches and horses...and perhaps motorhomes to drive through!

Hmm. Because nobody thinks about motorhomes and hasn’t specifically said they can venture forth, isn’t it also the case that nobody has thought to say they can’t?
It may be statics and self contained accommodation may be permitted to open, but will you be told specifically you can leave home to go and stay in them? So many gaps for coaches and horses...and perhaps motorhomes to drive through!

'Zactly ;)

Re my post #9, email duly sent this morning to Jane Hutt, our MS, and reply received within 2 hours thanking Mrs Number14 for bringing these MH issues to her attention. She will make enquiries and respond back to us.
Watch this space.

Mrs number14 has just received a reply from Welsh Government dated today - 30th June. The text is below but with our personal details removed for privacy reasons.

"Thank you for your recent email to the First Minister, I have been asked to reply.
Any accommodation that is entirely self-contained with its own kitchens and bathrooms,
which no other guests use, fall into this category e.g. holiday cottages, holiday caravans
including modern touring caravans and motorhomes and some glamping accommodation
with their own kitchens and bathrooms that no other guests use.
Caravan parks where accommodation is entirely self-contained also fall into this category –
but shared facilities on the premises will remain closed, such as swimming pools, leisure
facilities, shared shower and toilets blocks, shared laundry, etc., and public areas in other
accommodation types.
Caravans and motorhomes with their own supply of water for on-board shower, WC and
cooking should be allowed to open on 13 July but with strict guidance on shared waste
disposal and water points and minimum 3 night stays and pre-booking 2 nights in advance
I would like to reiterate that as with all other decisions on easing out of lockdown, the final
decision on opening will depend on the public health position and the latest scientific
evidence about the spread of coronavirus. The current plan is that this will be confirmed at
the next review on 9 July.
The Welsh Government will continue to monitor public health issues and may amend
regulations accordingly at a later date, businesses need to make it absolutely clear to
potential customers of any risks entailed in entering into the contractual arrangements
concerned with booking during this time."

That letter above does not entirely align with statements on the gov.wales website:-
In particular no mention below of 3 nights minimum and 2 nights pre-booking. They really have no idea of how our sector works but, then, why am I not surprised?

For your convenience here is the relevant section from that webpage:-

"Reopening self-contained holiday accommodation

Options for reopening and a final decision will be made at the next review of the regulations on 9 July.

Bookings can be made for stays after 13 July, but this is at people’s own risk and they should check with the accommodation provider before they book.

This includes:

• Hotels and other serviced accommodation (e.g. B&Bs, hostels, etc.) that do provide en-suite rooms and can provide room service meals. This does not include private facilities that are access via a corridor
  • Other accommodation that is entirely self-contained (e.g. self-catering cottages, apartments, etc.)
  • Glamping or any other accommodation with en-suite shower/bath, WC and kitchen facilities
  • Holiday caravans (statics and twins, including those marketed as lodges but constructed to the statutory definition of a caravan) where they have their own on-board shower/bath, WC and kitchen facilities
  • Seasonal touring caravans, motorhomes and campervans (with agreement to remain on pitch) where they have their own on-board shower, WC and kitchen facilities
  • Touring caravans, motorhomes and campervans where they have their own on-board shower, WC and kitchen facilities
Caravan and touring sites will need to ensure the strict application of industry guidance on shared waste disposal and water points.

All shared facilities, aside from water and disposal points will remain closed including toilets, shower blocks, laundry, restaurants, nightclubs, swimming pools, children’s play areas, bars, cafes, etc.

Caravan parks are closed by law so holiday caravan owners will not be able to access their caravans until 13th July, not even for day visits.

Accommodation can only be let to members of the same household."

The Foreign Office Minster being interviewed earlier this week was finally forced into admitting that there is nothing legally anyone can do to stop you travelling abroad right now if you so wish, whether for business or pleasure. All they can ever do is 'advise' the British public not to travel.

But how that would impact on your travel insurance is quite another matter. 🙂

Exactly, but there is a distinct lack of guidance around this whole issue so far.

I guess if you are allowed to stay overnight in other household then you should technically be able to stay away somewhere overnight in your camper?

It all goes back to how much of a calculated risk you are prepared to take, and I'm not talking about 'rule breaking', but the risk to you, your family and friends re spreading the virus.

Seems it is no longer 'rule breaking' anyway, more like 'ignoring the advice and nothing anyone can do about it' 😕
Ok for treatment until end of the year under E111 health card just no travel repatriation etc cover. As said, I guess what level your paranoia is and what risks u are prepared to take!!!!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back