Walcot, norfolk coast

FULL TIMER

As I mentioned in another post we came across this place a few days back , well I say that but we knew it was here before but it shut down after the owner died. It has been re - opened by the new owner who has really tidied the place up and made it a really pleasant place to stay it is pretty basic but that's what we like, with fresh water and chemical disposal point and a toilet available. Price is now £10 per night but worth it in my opinion for the location, post office / shop and pubs as well as chip shop, café and burger bar all within easy walking distance, beach literally just across the road. Some quick snaps of the place.

and the view through a window

Google Earth map view yellow way point marks the site

I know for most that paying for a site goes against the grain but I think it was worth putting a post about it as there doesn't seem to be to many places to wild camp around this area especially for us with bigger vehicles, this site is ideal for us and I can see many weekends being spent here , I'll see the owner later and get some contact details and the post code etc.

address of the site ;
Slate Bungalow
Coast Road
Walcott
NORWICH
NR12 0AP

Last edited:
Looks a great site, Especially as you say for bigger vehicles, Well done.
See if there's any 'Deals' for longer stays say 5 or 7 nights !.& if that includes electric hook up for those that need it !.

Superb!
£10 a night as you say, is very reasonable especially as it is so close to the sea.
We will definately be putting it on our places to visit list👍

Looks a great site, Especially as you say for bigger vehicles, Well done.
See if there's any 'Deals' for longer stays say 5 or 7 nights !.& if that includes electric hook up for those that need it !.

I'll ask about that but I know there are no hook ups .

I've also noticed that there doesn't seem to be any signs forbidding motorhomes or staying overnight etc on the road in the places that don't have double yellow lines also a few parking spaces for smaller vehicles just off the road up one end of the sea wall looking at the picture of the map it's to the right where you can see the road starts heading inland. there are also public toilets near by.

In the same pix kinda bottom right there appears to be what looks like vehicle access straight on to the beach !,,I'm going to have to look on Google Maps at that,

In the same pix kinda bottom right there appears to be what looks like vehicle access straight on to the beach !,,I'm going to have to look on Google Maps at that,

that's right beside the car parking spaces 3 groynes from the site , it is a slipway often used by jet skiers in the summer

Last edited:
It is and we'll be back as often as we can, the slipway is also used by people with boats etc but you would need a good 4x4

I fish there sometimes and the ramp is very slippery - I've seen a couple of FWD cars go swimming:lol-049:

Hi Mark,
I assume you've been to the pub, what's it like, I was wondering about having a meet there sometime in the future.
Perhaps you could have a talk with the campsite about rally rates, although 10 pounds is not to bad.
I expect you have already thought of this, if you have sorry.

The nearest pub The Poachers Pocket is pretty decent and also does food, they normally have music Fri / Sat evenings, there is another in Bacton which doesn't look up to much, in the other direction and towards Happisburgh, The Lighthouse which seems to be very heavily food orientated. We definitely prefer The Poachers Pocket.
I did think about this as an ideal place for a smaller meet I also mentioned this site and that we often have regular get togethers etc and will try and have a word before we head to Brandon tomorrow if not we often come this way so I'll call in sometime, I have given the owner the details of this website so he can take a look at what we all say about his campsite etc but I have to say we are looking forward to using it a lot in the future as it's ideal for us to get away for weekends.

We stayed there early in June fantastic spot beach across the road very quiet at night took dogs on the beach for a run and watched a seal watching the dogs not 30 feet from the beach the owner of the field was a very nice chap and at £10.00 a night you can't go wrong we emptied toilet filled up with water relaxed in the evening with a bottle of wine and watched the Sun set it was that nice a spot we stayed a another night

Do you know if he is open all year round? Previous old boy used to close up for the winter.

I looked at that a week ago, but paying £10 to park on a windy field seemed a bit much. You could stop just down the road on the beach side of the road if you don't mind traffic noise.

I had no problem finding a nice, free place not far away: Pigneys Wood. Not by the sea, but very pleasant.

That's your choice, personally I like the place and the location so am prepared to pay, as for stopping at Pigneys wood well that's just not where we want to be ,I like to be in walking distance of civilisation, and I havn't looked there yet but it's not always easy to park a 7.5 ton truck just anywhere

It looks like the sort of place we like to stay and £10 per night is OK for me in that area, if we want to stay in one place for a few days these types of sites are ideal

I'm not sure you'd want to be there in the winter. It's not unusual for the waves to come right over the road into those properties. I lived at Sea Palling for thirty years , and saw it happen many times.

I'm not sure you'd want to be there in the winter. It's not unusual for the waves to come right over the road into those properties. I lived at Sea Palling for thirty years , and saw it happen many times.

Where's your sense of adventure Roger, it's only a bit of water. At the moment the fellow is digging ditches and making a bank all around the field I assume he'll then fit a flood gate to use when needed so hopefully the worst that could happen is being stranded there.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back