Vodafone gadget

Fisherman

I use three and they are cheap and fine in most locations. But in more rural areas I struggle to get a signal.
I have heard that Vodafone are better, but I don’t want to move away from three. I think Vodafone have a gadget that you can use to connect to their network with your existing phone to make calls and use the internet. Does anyone use one of these and what’s your opinion.

Thank you.

You'll need a vodafone sim card and providing your phone isn't locked you'll just swap them over.

As far as a 'gadget' is concerned then it's called a mifi, but you'll still need a vodafone sim for it.

You'll need a vodafone sim card and providing your phone isn't locked you'll just swap them over.

As far as a 'gadget' is concerned then it's called a mifi, but you'll still need a vodafone sim for it.

Does this device allow you to make calls on Vodafone with another suppliers phone.
Or is this purely for data.

If you are going to leave 3 I would advise moving to EE. They give by far the best reception in Scotland. I get free calls and text and 10gb of data per month for £20.

Last edited:
If you are going to leave 3 I would advise moving to EE. They give by far the best reception in Scotland. I get free calls and text and 10gb of data per month for £20.

Hi Caledonia thanks for that, but my wife uses EE and I like having a different provider giving us a better chance of getting a signal. Yes EE are very good, but we have been in places were none of our phones work, but Vodafone does. I think I will probably remain with three because they are excellent in most places, just not in more remote locations sometimes. I can get a sim only deal with three for £10 a month, 4GB data, unlimited calls and texts, thats more than enough for me.

Last edited:
Not in my experience! On sites etc I often see people nattering away when I have no usable signal. Or is it just grass/greener etc?

We were on Mull mark and only Vodafone worked on that part of the island.
EE have the best uk coverage closely followed by Vodafone.

I’ve been with Vodafone for many years and before going to Europe for the summer this year I upgraded my monthly phone package to include 100GB of data with unlimited calls and texts for £24 per month. I can use my phone as a hotspot for the iPad and laptop, and other family members phones too.

I also bought a Vodafone mifi router last year for £20 and buy a data only sim for £25 for another 50GB of data per month. The data sim is on a rolling 30 day contract so I give 30 days notice at the end of the first month because I only want the data for two months over the school holidays.

So between the phone and mifi I have 150gb of data per month, which is a lot, but with two teenagers it is not excessive! I find Vodafone’s coverage to be excellent with 4G coverage everywhere at home and in France and Spain, and most of the time in Portugal.

Been reading this and am wondering if the phone makes any difference until you need to try different sims in the same phone at a poor reception site

Looking at options for MiFi home broadband and van I've just bought a Huawei E5330 unlocked 3g unit. Don't want to commit to a contract and find it's not for me. This way I can just purchase a data sim and try it out. Very interested re the Vodafone coverage, I suppose they've been around for quite a while too. Very informative posts thank you.

Looking at options for MiFi home broadband and van I've just bought a Huawei E5330 unlocked 3g unit. Don't want to commit to a contract and find it's not for me. This way I can just purchase a data sim and try it out. Very interested re the Vodafone coverage, I suppose they've been around for quite a while too. Very informative posts thank you.

Try this, uses 3 but it's fully unlimited for less than £20 and no contract.

Unlimited SIM-only rolling contract PS18.75/month @ Smarty - hotukdeals

At the moment, apparently EE just have edge over other companies for signal in rural areas because they've invested a lot more in building a better network of masts. Choosing companies on the basis of signal should be a moot point very soon though because companies were expected to come to an agreement on mast sharing or at least rural roaming this past Spring. I think there are still a few quibbles but it should be sorted out very soon. Vodafone and O2 already share masts. I've been all over the place in UK this past few years with my phone on EE and my mifi with a 3 data sim... rarely have a signal problem unless it's a real mobile blackspot. Coverage in Europe should also be a moot point because of data roaming... we all piggyback off of local European networks anyway.

To get back to the OP, I've never heard of the Vodafone gizmo described that lets you make calls and use data on your phone through Vodafone, irrespective of which SIM your phone has - which is how I read the post. I'm intrigued... off to Google!

Edit to say...
To cover your network's blackspots, why not just carry an old phone around with a PAYG SIM from another company. I keep 2 old phones in the van with 'everlasting' SIMs from GiffGaff (O2) and 3, so that I'll never be stuck somewhere on my own in an emergency without a phone signal... hopefully!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back