Visitors to Scotland: a word...

AllyPally

If you're visiting Scotland, welcome! We love having visitors and showing off our stunning scenery. We don't mind if you want to pootle along slowly and look at the views. Or if you have to slow down for some of the hills.

But bear in mind that some of us have places to go and things to do. Please let us pass. On a single track road it's impossible to get by until the vehicle in front moves into a passing place to allow others to overtake. Even fast two-way roads are often too winding to allow overtaking.

So if the road is empty in front of you, have a look in your mirror and see if you're holding up traffic. If you are, pull in to a passing place or a parking place just for a moment. Everyone behind will appreciate it.

And it gives you an extra moment to appreciate the scenery. Enjoy your visit.

It would be nice if the natives gave a little acknowledgement for the considerate visitors in pulling up to allow them past.🤔
To be fair scotia most of them do, I have even seen more than one car passing doing so. Also some may think that you have simply pulled in for a break, not to let them pass.

I only notice three acknowledgements and that was a couple of weeks ago from Dunoon to Tighnabruaich and back on single track roads. Heading to Orkney last week nothing, my daughter was saying to the cars that passed " you are welcome don't mention it at all. "🙃

If you're visiting Scotland, welcome! We love having visitors and showing off our stunning scenery. We don't mind if you want to pootle along slowly and look at the views. Or if you have to slow down for some of the hills.

But bear in mind that some of us have places to go and things to do. Please let us pass. On a single track road it's impossible to get by until the vehicle in front moves into a passing place to allow others to overtake. Even fast two-way roads are often too winding to allow overtaking.

So if the road is empty in front of you, have a look in your mirror and see if you're holding up traffic. If you are, pull in to a passing place or a parking place just for a moment. Everyone behind will appreciate it.

And it gives you an extra moment to appreciate the scenery. Enjoy your visit.
I completely agree with everything you say and my wife gives me stick for constantly for pulling over :LOL:

...but maybe look at it from a positive angle, you are only held up for 3 months of the year and not 12 months like the people south of the border you are referring to

(y)

Last edited:
Tractors cyclists buses three wheel cars learner drivers motorhomes and caravans. Should only be allowed on the roads the last Sunday of every month between the hours of 11pm to 12pm and even then only with a special permit underwritten by the minstar for transport written in blood from his thumb. 😜

Tractors cyclists buses three wheel cars learner drivers motorhomes and caravans. Should only be allowed on the roads the last Sunday of every month between the hours of 11pm to 12pm and even then only with a special permit underwritten by the minstar for transport written in blood from his thumb. 😜
Wully, don’t be daft. My post came from frustration.

I drove in the campervan for 50 miles today on a winding road behind a slow caravan who passed at least a dozen parking places. The queue was at least twenty. The end of it was always out of sight.

Yesterday I followed a motorhome on a single track road for miles. They never thought of giving way.

Folk not used to the roads here may not have thought about the issue. No blame, but please think about it.

And not waving should be a capital offence.

e
Wully, don’t be daft. My post came from frustration.

I drove in the campervan for 50 miles today on a winding road behind a slow caravan who passed at least a dozen parking places. The queue was at least twenty. The end of it was always out of sight.

Yesterday I followed a motorhome on a single track road for miles. They never thought of giving way.

Folk not used to the roads here may not have thought about the issue. No blame, but please think about it.

And not waving should be a capital offence.
Ally don’t be daft, we all love it when Wully is daft :)

Who me daft what gives you that idea 😘. I get your point about bad drivers my job has me all over Scotland every week and I see som really bad driversI. I hate motorways find them boring and I find myself falling asleep especially on M74 and the A9 are probably the worst So I think they should fit hidden cattle grids every few miles on motorways Just to keep us on our toes. And make these big windmill things at the side of the rd pretty pink yellow and orange coloured just like the ones you get for babies make the place more interesting. 😜

I love Scotland, But there are some strange men there wearing skirts with a little handbag at the front, and when they go up the escalator, well id better say nothing on that subject except my wife stood at the bottom all afternoon and said she did not like the moving stairs, silly I thought as there was a lift. 🤔

Even M-ways consideration for others is good. We mainly use lane 1 but will move out (carefully) to ease the entry of others as they join from slip roads.
Even on a short 50 mile trip.
Lots of other times you can assist simply. Lorry drivers usually "indicator flash" to thank and var drivers.
I agree that pulling over is good but also take care as sometimes getting back out on the road can be an unnecessary danger (eg a fast road with poor vision due to bends/hedges).
Like Canalsman I hate other drivers too close to my rearend (innuendo intended)

When on a long straight stretch of road with no passing places, I indicate left, move over and slow down, most drivers behind guess that it is for them to overtake, some probably think what's this nobhead stopping for. In most cases when I indicate right and pull out I usually get an acknowledgement.
On he whole we have found the natives very friendly. So thank you for making us feel welcome.
A great opening post BTW, friendly, respectful and considerate.

When on a long straight stretch of road with no passing places, I indicate left, move over and slow down, most drivers behind guess that it is for them to overtake, some probably think what's this nobhead stopping for. In most cases when I indicate right and pull out I usually get an acknowledgement.
On he whole we have found the natives very friendly. So thank you for making us feel welcome.
A great opening post BTW, friendly, respectful and considerate.
The assumption the drivers are from south of the border is a bit iffy although probably right :LOL:

Scots tell me that some Glaswegians are happy to trash Loch Lomond so an inconsiderate Scottish moho/tugger driver is not beyond the realms of possibility........but yes, likely English

I suppose down here due to the volume of traffic you have to change your mindset or you will burst a blood vessel;

Buses are reducing cars on the road, bin lorries are taking our rubbish, tractors are feeding us, HGV's* on the A1 going to Scotland and tourists are just part of life. I'm not disagreeing with the OP in the slightest but for his/her wellbeing they need to enjoy the view as well cos inconsiderate drivers are always going to be there and a route taking 10 mins longer than usual is hardly the end of the world

* one doing 60mph overtaking one doing 57mph

I think the title should be changed to visitors to rural locations with narrow single track roads. You know you lot down there might be shocked to know we have motorways up here, but we are smart enough to to have smart motorways. :)

Absolutely, locals in the SW and Lake District need counselling every Autumn due to road stress and probably think a Scot moaning is hilarious
I have driven my van in the Lake District, worse than any roads I have seen up here. I needed one to one consultation after one journey, :) and my wife was a nervous wreck. And Cornwall well driving a car there was a challenge never mind a Moho.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back