Visiting a Doctor (U.K.)

Tim120

Firstly, sorry if this question is in the wrong section.
Should explain I do not need to visit one, also will assume a post Covid scenario so face to face appointments.
Just been watching a youtube motorhome post during which a visit to a doctor was mentioned.
Given the fact I or any of us could be anywhere in the uk and may have the need to visit a doctor, how should it be done?
I have seen some GP practicies offering a walk in service, I think I may be about to answer my own question, phone and ask!
However, anyone given this any thought and maybe share your thoughts?

I had never really looked before but recently though I may need medical help and my registered doc is a couple hours away with no appointments for ages so I thought it would be A&E. A quick google showed there was a choice of walk in centres here in Hull. Didn’t need it (hopefully) in the end but nice to know they are here, open and you can just turn up 👍

Pre Covid, you could just go into any practice and say you were a visitor to the area.
The receptionist would have you fill out the necessary forms to give you temporary registration.
Don't know what happens now but there will stil be some mechanism available.
I suppose that if you were not going to see someone in person, you could contact your own doctor from anywhere in the country.

Years ago in Scotland, I went into a local GP surgery. I registered as a temporary resident, saw a Doctor same morning.

Back in 1979 had to go to a GP in Ballachulish, at the time just had to give name and address, I expect nowadays would need to show if you have entitlement, as I carry my NI card in my wallet I guess that will do.

The guidance for this situation doesn't appear to have been altered on the NHS website re covid, so you could 'assume' (dangerous word that!) the same rules apply as before?

You can search on the NHS website here to find a walk-in centre near where you are:-
https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/other-services/Walk-in-centre/LocationSearch/663

BUT... I've typed my own postcode in out of curiosity and nearly all the results that came back were major hospitals in the area!
Anyway, the search facility is there if you needed it, I guess?

Last edited:
You can still contact a local GP practice. My brother had to do it within the last couple of months. They kept telling him they couldn't help because of COVID but he got there in the end.

You can still contact a local GP practice. My brother had to do it within the last couple of months. They kept telling him they couldn't help because of COVID but he got there in the end.

Yeah, everything is a fight, more so in some parts of the country than others, and all seem to depend how good and/or accommodating each GP practice is.

@harrow has been having problems for ages with their local GP practice. Ours has been pretty good, but I did have to be firm on the phone with a half-baked, spotty youth receptionist last time I had to see a doc couple weeks back. Needless to say he didn't get in my way for very long... 😝 😙(y):devilish:😇

our local practice has been down hill for years . Now you cant call at reception to make an appointment ,you have to phone . And wait to see if the phone is answered or not , if you can get through and they think it is necessary a gp will call you back working from home , my concern is that this system may be the new norm and won't return to normal .

our local practice has been down hill for years . Now you cant call at reception to make an appointment ,you have to phone . And wait to see if the phone is answered or not , if you can get through and they think it is necessary a gp will call you back working from home , my concern is that this system may be the new norm and won't return to normal .

Yes I witnessed at my medical centre a heavily pregnant woman asking the receptionist to see a doctor and the receptionist said you have to telephone us from your home you can't talk to me here. :oops:

I would visit a Farmacie and speak to them, I am sure they would be in contact with doctors in the scenario or else the 111 number as suggested, I needed a dentist once when away, at Abingdon, I just called in at a dental surgery near by and got an appointment, had to pay of course but needs must and when in Spain this year MARCH I needed to see a Doctor as I had a bad chest infection, called in at a Farmacia and they arranged for me to visit a doctor straight away just round the corner from them , Doctor charged me 50 euros and 28 euros at the Farmacia for the antibiotic prescribed , I guess I could claim it back from the NHS but I won't do that.

Yeah, everything is a fight, more so in some parts of the country than others, and all seem to depend how good and/or accommodating each GP practice is.

@harrow has been having problems for ages with their local GP practice. Ours has been pretty good, but I did have to be firm on the phone with a half-baked, spotty youth receptionist last time I had to see a doc couple weeks back. Needless to say he didn't get in my way for very long... 😝 😙(y):devilish:😇
I have been ringing our surgery to book a blood test and flue jab for David since Friday. I think they are having a holiday but havn't told anyone....phone is just ringing. They will not be happy when i go in tomorrow and i bet the excuse will be covid. To add insult to injury I have been bombarded with texts about getting a flu jab????? ((

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back