Virgin Mobile Roaming

Alshymer

Hello
I see Virgin are still advertising free roaming using one’s allowance.
Can anyone recommend their service?
Regards

We've been using Virgin sim only contracts in France for the last 3 weeks with no issues on streaming or data use. One other advantage being as they are UK numbers the Beeb is available without a vpn.

We're on virgin. It's been very good in France, Spain and Portugal.4g all the way.

Likewise with EE with the roaming smart benefit. No issues in the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania or Bulgaria.

Turkey - needed a Turkcell sim, show your passport and you can get two ‘tourist package’ SIM cards, we got three between us (one for the Nighthawk mobile router), and two smaller ones for each phone. Can’t remember exact price but cheap for the amount of data. Just be aware certain areas you get censored 🤬 on social media, just like this site 😳😉.

Greece, EE SIM fired back up no problems, Albania, same deal as Turkey - best value and coverage (cheap and even less hassle) are Vodaphone Albania, they work in Montenegro and Bosnia Hurzegovina as well (you need to top up enough to get you through those countries because you can’t outside of Albania) - bonus. Currently just arrived in Croatia and the EE SIM fired up again faultlessly. Never lost signal in any country they offer.

No reason to believe the EE SIM will become a problem now we are closer to home and no longer need to change it 😉🇮🇲

What service provider do they use

Can’t say I know that, nor am I particularly bothered, all I know is we haven’t yet lost signal yet in any of the countries we’ve been in that they cover and that includes some pretty remote places. Using the SIM in a Netgear Nighthawk connected to a Poynting antenna.

I just left Three after 20+ years due to loss of roaming and am now with Virgin mobile paying £8 for 20Gb per month and am currently in Tenerife and all good with roaming
BB168536-B379-4382-ABA8-05FD0B8C4270.jpeg

Also I got a good deal doing it with Quidco
Cheers
Dave

My daughter is on virgin and planning a trip of 3 months duration around September, so I have been following this thread with interest as my initial cursory research did not suggest that virgin were much better than other providers.

I have followed the raptors link to virgins fair use policy and inserted figures similar to my own contract with Smarty for a rough comparison.

So for £10pm on an allowance of 20gb I would be allowed 5.34gb in Europe before extra charges are levied. This seems at odds with what some are claiming for virgin contracts. I would welcome any comments on how folks are getting over 12gb with virgin.

Davy

I think with 02 you can still get 25gb per month.
It is a 2 yr contract though.

There’s a similar thread on Motorhomer and as we have just moved into our second month of our contracts I noticed that my unused data rolled over.
BC5D0722-E0B4-487F-BB45-544C4AE807A0.jpeg
A bonus I didn’t even know about and on that chat people asked how long does it roll over so I checked and here’s the answer
C1ECEA7C-B298-431A-B312-DC674BF1C2B2.jpeg
CA1BFB06-09F7-423E-A80D-471DEEF86831.jpeg

Cheers
Dave

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
My daughter is on virgin and planning a trip of 3 months duration around September, so I have been following this thread with interest as my initial cursory research did not suggest that virgin were much better than other providers.

I have followed the raptors link to virgins fair use policy and inserted figures similar to my own contract with Smarty for a rough comparison.

So for £10pm on an allowance of 20gb I would be allowed 5.34gb in Europe before extra charges are levied. This seems at odds with what some are claiming for virgin contracts. I would welcome any comments on how folks are getting over 12gb with virgin.

Davy
Hi Davy
I think your figures are pretty accurate although I have found only 4.81gb roaming for a 20gb contract.
I am wondering whether for a 3 month duration whether Virgin would accept this as fair usage.
Brexit has really been disastrous as far as roaming is concerned.
Do you think a PAYG add on with 3 would perhaps be better at £15 for 30 days. This would give a maximum of 12gb roaming no matter how large an add on one was to purchase as 12gb is the maximum fair usage amount that 3 will allow.
I look forward to your thoughts.
Regards
Martin

I didn't know that about Tesco, OH fortunately renewed just before the 16th June deadline. My contract has another 6 months to run, hopefully I can continue it rather than upgrading it. Or I'll look for another provider. Pity, I like Tesco.

Hi Alshymer, I currently use Smarty. 12gb for £8 per month. My wife has the same contract, so because I created a group plan we get 10% reduction ie £7.20 each.

I have added another Smarty sim to my phone (it has 2 sim slots) and have a third contract @ £8 for 12 gb. This is reduced to £7.20 on the group plan and both my sims get a free month as reward.

The thinking is that all of these contracts are 30 day rolling and I have the ability to pause any plan for up to 6 months before they cancel the contract, so effectively I can have 36gb per month when abroad for £21.60 and revert to our normal 24gb for £14.40 when at home, turning the 3rd sim on and off as required.

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back