Veneer starting to come away/peel

GMJ

We have a small area where the veneer is starting to come off the wood in the MH. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it?

It'll need gluing down again but I'd welcome any advice/tips if you have had this problem and sorted it.

ta

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1087.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1087.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 72
Just read recently that you can use an iron to stick the edge back down, requires something between the iron and the veneer to prevent any damage. I have this problem but haven’t got round to trying this method yet.

Posted reply on the Motorhomer Forum. UHU Glue and a wallpaper mini seam roller to smooth the edges. Both items carried in the Justin Case Toolbox for just such an eventuality. I'm Justin Case, and my brother Jimmy used to play for Liverpool FC ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Just read recently that you can use an iron to stick the edge back down, requires something between the iron and the veneer to prevent any damage. I have this problem but haven’t got round to trying this method yet.
This only works with edging that was initially stuck down with hot melt glue, the 'veneer' (probably a printed catafoil paper) will most likely have been stuck on with ac glue.

Reactions: GMJ
This only works with edging that was initially stuck down with hot melt glue, the 'veneer' (probably a printed catafoil paper) will most likely have been stuck on with ac glue.
Any easy way to tell the difference?

Bare in mind that when asked why if I considered being a instructor my reply was, "I might know what I'm doing but I'm crap at teaching others".
Hot melt glue is generally thicker, ac is much thinner, in my experience, hot melt is used for thicker materials such as solid edging, or plastic edging, not least because it seals the porous edges, ac being used for thinner materials such as printed 'veneer' put on the face of panels.

We have a small area where the veneer is starting to come off the wood in the MH. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it?

It'll need gluing down again but I'd welcome any advice/tips if you have had this problem and sorted it.

ta
Had it every van we've owned somewhere super glue sorts it easily and use a bit of masking tap to hold it in position, avoid squeeze out.

Bare in mind that when asked why if I considered being a instructor my reply was, "I might know what I'm doing but I'm crap at teaching others".
Hot melt glue is generally thicker, ac is much thinner, in my experience, hot melt is used for thicker materials such as solid edging, or plastic edging, not least because it seals the porous edges, ac being used for thinner materials such as printed 'veneer' put on the face of panels.
Would you enlighten me as to what “ac” glue is? Thank you

If you are going to use CA (super glue) then buy a good industrial one and use an accelerator, it is a game changer, instant grab that is also a lot stronger

ta
I used a warm iron Over my vaneer and it stuck back down, I think the glue had dried up, the heat reactivated the glue. Worth a try? Costs nothing.

I had it on a new van affected panels replaced under warrenty .MH build quality strikes again.

Best bet is Gorrilla glue dampen both edges and glue one side hold down with masking tape or insulation tape .Take off the excess with a sharp knife or chisel,being careful you dont cause more damage.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back