VEGE Engines

CarlandHels

Bl**dy engines!!!!!

Feb 2018 had a new engine from VEGE fitted into the van after my original engine decided to snap the timing chain at 39k miles.

Well 12 weeks after the warranty run out guess what.. Yep the new engine has failed due to the chain tensioner failing causing the chain to jump a couple of teeth..

The garage has contacted the suppliers who sourced the engine from Vege and explained that it's done about 14k had 2 services and also explained that it's a motorhome not just a transit panel van that gets abused by delivery drivers etc..

That garage and us were hoping that they would cover their workmanship due to the low mileage and use of the vehicle. But they were not interested and just said it's warranty has run out so they are not prepared to do anything about it.

This was a £4k engine, so I spose they are hoping that we will buy another off them.. Hmmmm I think not, if I can I will take it to ford and have them fit a new engine, I hear they give a 2 years warranty on there own new ones...

So guess you can imagine how we're feeling at the moment. What makes things worse is that it's home as we're fulltimers…

Would you go down the route of not fit for purpose and take it further?? Would I have any rights to make a claim against them?

Thanks for any advice

That sounds unfortunate. If it’s out of warranty you’d have an uphill battle with a claim. May be better just to let it go. Hope you get sorted soon.

Who did you pay the money too? If it was the garage then your contract is with them, if paid direct you might have a chance of a claim against VEGE.

All the years i have worked on fords and have a kit car with a ford engine i can say hand on hart that about 40th miles for one is good going as all mine spat the dummy around that millage,pity you cannot fit the old banana engine as they were a revampt york engine and went well and long.
Sorry about your troubles but me i would be stripping the old unit to hope find just a few bent valves and maybe one piston knocked out if lucky,or look for a low millage right off.

Who did you pay the money too? If it was the garage then your contract is with them, if paid direct you might have a chance of a claim against VEGE.

It's the garage that I paid and its the garage that's on about looking further into it. As they said little milage, we'll maintained and its a Motorhome not a panel van. There is no way that this should happen. They're as peeved as we are..
We will find out tomorrow if any damage has occurred. When we change tensioner and guiders re time up and see if all's good..

All the years i have worked on fords and have a kit car with a ford engine i can say hand on hart that about 40th miles for one is good going as all mine spat the dummy around that millage,pity you cannot fit the old banana engine as they were a revampt york engine and went well and long.
Sorry about your troubles but me i would be stripping the old unit to hope find just a few bent valves and maybe one piston knocked out if lucky,or look for a low millage right off.

Fingers crossed it might not of killed it. There is still a good compression where as last time there were next to nowt

Unfortunately when LKQ (Eurocarparts) bought UK arm of VEGA Motoren Holland and renamed it VEGE UK the quality of their engines just disappeared. They are now poor quality made to a budget price and sold very cheaply, their warranty back up reflects that.
Once bitten twice shy which is why many garages and fleet companies wont touch their product now.

Good luck if you can get any goodwill back up from them, they always try to blame failure on some ancillary part failing ring in the fault

Bl**dy engines!!!!!

Feb 2018 had a new engine from VEGE fitted into the van after my original engine decided to snap the timing chain at 39k miles.

Well 12 weeks after the warranty run out guess what.. Yep the new engine has failed due to the chain tensioner failing causing the chain to jump a couple of teeth..

The garage has contacted the suppliers who sourced the engine from Vege and explained that it's done about 14k had 2 services and also explained that it's a motorhome not just a transit panel van that gets abused by delivery drivers etc..

That garage and us were hoping that they would cover their workmanship due to the low mileage and use of the vehicle. But they were not interested and just said it's warranty has run out so they are not prepared to do anything about it.

This was a £4k engine, so I spose they are hoping that we will buy another off them.. Hmmmm I think not, if I can I will take it to ford and have them fit a new engine, I hear they give a 2 years warranty on there own new ones...

So guess you can imagine how we're feeling at the moment. What makes things worse is that it's home as we're fulltimers…

Would you go down the route of not fit for purpose and take it further?? Would I have any rights to make a claim against them?

Thanks for any advice

Whoever you paid on credit card, section 75 and Consumer Rights Act 2015

You may be very lucky as only jumped a cog or two fingers crossed for you.

hi
i had a mondeo 2.0 tdi that jumped the timing chain. i took
the rocker cover off and it had only sheared the bolts off the
cam keeps no damage to valves.
i also had a mondeo 1.8 tdi it sheared its wet timing belt it runs
in the oil. but that bent the valves had to take the head off.

I would have thought you would have a case as at only 14k the engine isn’t fit for purpose, if you don’t get any joy it would be worth taking it to court

hi
i had a mondeo 2.0 tdi that jumped the timing chain. i took
the rocker cover off and it had only sheared the bolts off the
cam keeps no damage to valves.
i also had a mondeo 1.8 tdi it sheared its wet timing belt it runs
in the oil. but that bent the valves had to take the head off.

Done the above, seems it bent 7 valves as to what we can see. So looks like I'm going to put another lump in it, this time it's coming from Ford themselves, maybe a little more money but the back up after sales should hopefully be better.. Well you'd hope anyway. They do t do brand new units of that age anymore but they do Ford remanufactured ones.

It’s a known fault with these engines as is the dodgy oil pumps. Get it sold and buy something that’s not ford powered. Alternatively you could buy a warranty when the supplier warranty runs out. Used Vege loads of times and never had an issue it’s not their fault it’s fords crap engine.

It’s a known fault with these engines as is the dodgy oil pumps. Get it sold and buy something that’s not ford powered. Alternatively you could buy a warranty when the supplier warranty runs out. Used Vege loads of times and never had an issue it’s not their fault it’s fords crap engine.

My old ford is still running smoothly with 197k on the clock, and it's had some abuse, unlike the motorhome, which is cared for, regular services always done at the garage. As they have said it the best cared for motor that they have coming in..

All of them here are gobsmacked that it's done this.

Sell it (maybe) but after £8k worth of engines spent would you? I could then go buy something that has loads of issues and be starting all over again.

Sometimes it better the devil ya know, yet that can bite you as it just has done!

So decided that once new engine is fitted, we will keep it for 10 months while it's under Ford warranty. So if it goes tits up I can take it to any ford dealer and they will sort it. Then we will see what we decide to do...

My old ford is still running smoothly with 197k on the clock, and it's had some abuse, unlike the motorhome, which is cared for, regular services always done at the garage. As they have said it the best cared for motor that they have coming in..

All of them here are gobsmacked that it's done this.

Sell it (maybe) but after £8k worth of engines spent would you? I could then go buy something that has loads of issues and be starting all over again.

Sometimes it better the devil ya know, yet that can bite you as it just has done!

So decided that once new engine is fitted, we will keep it for 10 months while it's under Ford warranty. So if it goes tits up I can take it to any ford dealer and they will sort it. Then we will see what we decide to do...

As I said you could always buy an independent warranty to cover the problematic donkey when the ford warranty runs out if you like the motorhome that much.

As I said you could always buy an independent warranty to cover the problematic donkey when the ford warranty runs out if you like the motorhome that much.

Yeah we will look into it thanks.. It's not the fact of liking the motorhome that much (well we do but) it's more the fact the amount we'll loose if we sell it and there's the fact that it's home too..

Just looking forward to when the new lump gets fitted and I can get parked up somewhere else..

Got to admit though, the garage has been great, I'm parked up next to a water tap and plugged in to electrics so all good, better after 5pm when they all go home and it's nice and quiet..

Tockwith MOT & Service centre is the best garage I've ever dealt with...

Unfortunately when LKQ (Eurocarparts) bought UK arm of VEGA Motoren Holland and renamed it VEGE UK the quality of their engines just disappeared. They are now poor quality made to a budget price and sold very cheaply, their warranty back up reflects that.
I wouldn,t buy any engine part from Euro car parts had 2 turbos fail which came from them. Oem parts only for me since they maybe alright for oil or filters

Vege were ok

Bought a motorhome. Had a precautionary can belt change. Engine goes boom. Replacement Vege engine also goes boom but after three months.
Bradley at Vege seemed to play fair.....he accepted culpability and stumped up for another and the fitment.
Engine been fine for three years now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back