Veg Oil

veg oil and tax

hi, This info is now old, there was a law change at the end of July.You still have to register with customs and excise but you no longer have to pay any tax on it, previously 28.3 p per litre , unless you produce/ use more than 2500 litres per year.So for private uses, register with c and E, keep you registration details in the van and you are legal to use Veg oil as biofuel.Still, Veg oil straight into tank is not to be recommended, look at the various simple conversions.Cold oil in winter will break your injector pump , your starter and engine pretty quick, whilst a heating conversion will keep you running well all year round.hope this helps.
To answer the question above, running on Veg oil was never illegal, it was only ever a tax issue.So as long as you were paying the tax you we ok, now that hurdle has been removed you only need to register.You need to register as a fuel produces even though you may have no intention of making your own,if you understand what i meen.This i thing is just to keep tabs on the commercial producer who now produce large amounts.
Ogi

Last edited:
Ogi said:
hi, This info is now old, there was a law change at the end of July.You still have to register with customs and excise but you no longer have to pay any tax on it, previously 28.3 p per litre , unless you produce/ use more than 2500 litres per year.So for private uses, register with c and E, keep you registration details in the van and you are legal to use Veg oil as biofuel.Still, Veg oil straight into tank is not to be recommended, look at the various simple conversions.Cold oil in winter will break your injector pump , your starter and engine pretty quick, whilst a heating conversion will keep you running well all year round.hope this helps.
To answer the question above, running on Veg oil was never illegal, it was only ever a tax issue.So as long as you were paying the tax you we ok, now that hurdle has been removed you only need to register.You need to register as a fuel produces even though you may have no intention of making your own,if you understand what i meen.This i thing is just to keep tabs on the commercial producer who now produce large amounts.
Ogi
just had a look on the c&e website can't find anything to show no duty is due are you sure of this?
the only bit i can find about not paying duty is the part about using biodiesel as heating oil

Veg oil duty

Hi , yes i am absolutly sure, the details are on a few sites, not surprised it is not on the Customs site, must of killed them to give it up , you could look at the excellent site for conversions, dieselveg.com , their home page has a confirmation and also a usefull statement about producers and users both being the same under the law, ie: both are now exempt under 2500 litres.Good luck if you decide to go ahead.I understand you caution as their is a lot of misinformation about using veg oil about, but once you realise that you do not have to keep going and putting money into the pockets of the big oil compinies anymore whilst at the same time doing your green bit , it is quite liberating !cheers , Ogi

hi

I still think this could be a bit of a mine field because on the link provided. eventually I found "used as a motor fuel" duty must be paid, as I am no expert and could have it wrong (either way) further ivestigation is required!

PaulC said:
hi

I still think this could be a bit of a mine field because on the link provided. eventually I found "used as a motor fuel" duty must be paid, as I am no expert and could have it wrong (either way) further ivestigation is required!

It does what it says on the box. If you are registered and use/produce less than 2,500 litres there is NO NEED to pay any duty or make any returns after June. Those that intend to use/produce it and are NOT registered? Must register. There is nothing to pay in duty. The reason for introducing this was because it was costing more to administer than the duty that was being received.

JohnSandyWhite said:
It does what it says on the box. If you are registered and use/produce less than 2,500 litres there is NO NEED to pay any duty or make any returns after June. Those that intend to use/produce it and are NOT registered? Must register. There is nothing to pay in duty. The reason for introducing this was because it was costing more to administer than the duty that was being received.
yeah that appoars to cover the production of bio diesel doesn't mention neat vegetable oil. this is interesting however http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...HMCE_CL_000205&propertyType=document#P70_4374
just read the dieselveg site too it is very interesting and they do state it is legal and tax free below 2,500 litres provided you register as a producer

Last edited:
veg oil duty

hi, There really is no problem here.I am registered as a producer and have had to submit monthly returns for the past three years.I no longer have to or pay duty as described.It covers a number of bio fuels , they were never interested in the % of veg oil , i had a code for my returns which was actually 545 modified vegatable waste fat , ie: used and recycled 100% veg oil.If we were unsure we would say so, you do not have to pay duty once registered on any % of veg oil , it cost nothing to register, if they suspect you are producing large amounts,ie: over 2500 ltr they will ask to inspect your premises, i just always said i was working as i couldnt be bothered showing them arounds and they just said ok, as they only worked 9-5.Having talked to many people about veg oil , they often find it difficult to believe that diesel engines run well on the stuff and that you dont have to pay tax or that it is not illegal in some way.( it must be dodgy some how ? )
It is better than legal, it is environmentally sound whilst saving you money ! cheers Ogi

Ogi said:
hi, There really is no problem here.I am registered as a producer and have had to submit monthly returns for the past three years.I no longer have to or pay duty as described.It covers a number of bio fuels , they were never interested in the % of veg oil , i had a code for my returns which was actually 545 modified vegatable waste fat , ie: used and recycled 100% veg oil.If we were unsure we would say so, you do not have to pay duty once registered on any % of veg oil , it cost nothing to register, if they suspect you are producing large amounts,ie: over 2500 ltr they will ask to inspect your premises, i just always said i was working as i couldnt be bothered showing them arounds and they just said ok, as they only worked 9-5.Having talked to many people about veg oil , they often find it difficult to believe that diesel engines run well on the stuff and that you dont have to pay tax or that it is not illegal in some way.( it must be dodgy some how ? )
It is better than legal, it is environmentally sound whilst saving you money ! cheers Ogi
thanks for the information, pity my engine is petrol but worth bearing in mind for the future not sure about the white spirit though as that is mineral derived

walkers said:
thanks for the information, pity my engine is petrol but worth bearing in mind for the future not sure about the white spirit though as that is mineral derived

In that case? You need to convert to LPG.

JohnSandyWhite said:
In that case? You need to convert to LPG.
now that wouldn't work out economically viable, as insurance cos are reluctant to insure home conversions and proffesional jobs cost so much it takes ages to recover the cost

Firefighter I still did not get an answer to my ealier question,perhaps you could enlighten me, CAN I use cooking oil in my old Renault Traffic,it's 2.1 non turbo. I do not understand what "COMMON RAIL" means in relation to the engine pehaps you could also educare me in this as simple as possible.
Thanks. Snowgoose.

snowgoose said:
Firefighter I still did not get an answer to my ealier question,perhaps you could enlighten me, CAN I use cooking oil in my old Renault Traffic,it's 2.1 non turbo. I do not understand what "COMMON RAIL" means in relation to the engine pehaps you could also educare me in this as simple as possible.
Thanks. Snowgoose.

the earlier pre 2000 traffics 2.1 big nose (large grille at front ) are not common rail this only come in with the face lift ones and the early ones of them were f9q engines 1.9
so you will be allowed to run bio fuel or refined cooking oil in it as for stright veg oil you may have a problem in the winter as it is thick so may have to run a heater unit in the fuel line though i dont in the t4
i am a renalt master tech and worked on these puppys for nearly 20 years and the old traffics will beat the new ones hands down for reliability less to go wrong soild engines

jiff

Sorry to come in so late, but I have been watching this thread for some time and couldn't respond, But im in now.:D
I have been running my 1.9 peugeot diesel on pure veg oil in summer (what summer) and 50/50 in winter, I have had no problems. I checked with revenue people who said no need to register but keep receipts as I am allowed 2500 litres per year before paying duties (22p per litre). Now 2500 litres equates to 25000 miles in my book :eek: (never in 1 year).

Last edited:
veg oil in traffics

:D Thank's fer info Jiff, I actually have a 2.1 RENAULT MUDGUARD short wheel base!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Whilst i will aggree they are tough old engines [mine is just about run in]only 126000 the under belly is RUBBISH it cost me just over £700 to have the chassis all plated fer the MOt it was a case of that or scrap it,as I can't afford to replace it I had to bite the bullet only hope it passes in Feb 08. Oh why Renault MUDGUARD? shiny on top s**t underneath:eek:
Snowgoose.

Veg oil engine types

When I first started doing this there was a Polish web site that listed most engines and the percentage of veg oil you could use.
My Frontera 2.2 was 30% and as it's fitted with a 2 way cat has NO smell, but the Bongo 2.5 was up to 50% but being a grey import was only fitted with a particulate trap and stank like a chippy!
Neither suffered any problems or loss of performance or MPG, however I only used new cooking oil, as used stuff is even thicker once the 'light' ends have evaporated and is too much trouble to filter. It must be getting popular as the price has shot up over the last two years!

I pulled into aldi yesterday and put 30 litres of veg oil in after putting 30 litres of diesel into my bongo. Smells lovely!

You can get a full veg oil conversion starting at around £400, I am considering this and will let you now how I get on. :)

All please remember one thing....Lucas fuel pumps don't like veg oil.....

common rail will run but dont start up to well

i run my car on 100% in the summer and 50-50 ish in winter....and have been

doin it for the last 2 years with no probs.

the diesel engine was designed to run on oil but the greedy fuel companys

had this petrol by product and found the engine would run on it so took over

when prof Diesel died....

ITS SO MUCH THE ENGINE BUT THE PUMP THAT WILL BREAK COS ITS

DESIGNED TO RUN ON DIESEL.....

Snowgoose

Just for the record yours is NOT a common rail diesel, with it's ultra high pressure problems with thick and sticky veg oil!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back