Veg Oil

gillr49

Just done a search on the net and found some info I would like to believe, but would like to make sure.

Can any of you experienced people help?

I've read that you can just empty vegetable oil bought from a supermarket directly into your diesel tank, as long as you don't exceed 1 part veg oil to 2 parts diesel. Is this really true, if it is we can save ourselves a fortune on touring holidays?

help_me_blinking_starburst.gif

Thanks
:confused: :confused: :confused:

been doing it for years briliant fuel though makes you hungry

Me too, Even as much as 70/30 those in the know reccon the bosh injector pumps are the best,
morrisons 1.98 for 3 liters

I normally run my van on 30per cent Veg oil.
I reckon it runs better than on 'pure' diesel.
Bought in 20 ltre boxes from Makro for about £11.
No need to register with customs and exise so no duty to pay Provided you are a low quantity user.
The only problem might be when too great a percentage is used the oil is a bit too thick for cold start up (the oil thins out as the engine warms up)
Also and I've heard that Lucas fuel pumps don't like veg oil.
Not worth it in Euroland as diesel cheaper and veg oil dearer.
Oh yes! the van smells of freshly cooked doughnuts.

i run 100% only problem is if one of you heater plugs ar down smokes a bit on start up

also would not recomend in common rail engines though i know of a company who runs all there new kangoos on refined cooking oil with no problems
the only thing with the refined stuff it is a very good cleaner of the deisel system so replace the fuel filter after the first tankfull

Thanks everyone

This is getting a bit technical now, but we're just about keeping up
Still not quite brave enough to pop down to Morrisons and pour veg oil in our 04 Boxer!!
Son, however knows quite a few friends who run on pure veg oil, bought from Bookers in big drums........
I think it might be like giving up smoking, finances might force us into action.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i run my iveco on 100% vege oil i satart it on diesel and run it on diesel for two mins before i stop. i have had mine converted to run on oil by this company www.dieselveg.com. and i buy my oil in 500 litre tanks. as ihave mate who works for a spud frying company.

Loathecliff, that's what I decided after reading 'why should I convert'

Thanks for your trouble, interesting though

:D :D :D :D

great

been running my car on 70-30 and in good weather 100% for 3 years now with no probs, but you must have a BOSH pump....other pumps you need to make mods or the pump will break and it not cheap to replace....

mark7 said:
been running my car on 70-30 and in good weather 100% for 3 years now with no probs, but you must have a BOSH pump....other pumps you need to make mods or the pump will break and it not cheap to replace....
And direct injection helps too ,my glow plugs have never worked but it starts first rotation of the crank cold after couple of days on 50/50 on70/30 churns over twice

it would make ur van smell like a chip shop.. any fritters.. haa haa:D :D

I wouldent go over 70/30 (as you said ,belt strain) as rule I stick to roughley 50/50 but somtimes will run on straight deisel have done this for about 20.000+ with no probs
and smells great

gordon said:
i run my iveco on 100% vege oil i satart it on diesel and run it on diesel for two mins before i stop. i have had mine converted to run on oil by this company www.dieselveg.com. and i buy my oil in 500 litre tanks. as ihave mate who works for a spud frying company.
Hi all, New to site so i thought i would try to contribute.I have been using 100% veg oil for about 3 years, i recycle it for free and now you dont even have to pay tax on it !, i have converted 2 landrovers and my ford transit campervan ( why i am on this site ).The problem is not the percentage of oil but the temperature and therefore the viscocity of the oil, landrover with bosch pumps are easy, just preheat the oil with either a heat exchange system or glow plug system and you are away , ps: never leave cold oil in the system, have a two tank system so you can change back to diesel a few minutes before shutting engine off.The Cav pumps are harder but not impossible , my transit is now converted but with some problems, i installed in the end, another electric fuel lift pump , a pre filter, a filter and a heat exchanger, all parts costing me about 100 quid.Since the fuel costs me nothing it pays for itself after about 600 miles ? so far about 4000 miles done on camper ,any help on veg oil system, ask , if i dont know i will say.cheers Ogi

chip fat!!

Graham,
served my time at this game (diesel engineer) before I joined Fire and Rescue, I'm hearing all kinds of stories to back the minority up, but like you I would be wary of putting my poor castaway to the test, yet the science says yes!! I want to believe the whole thing but if I do will the government tax me!!!! Davie xx

veg oil

Was sat in a rain lashed carpark next to me was a real hippy type transit box van, next thing he is out the van unloading a load of 3ltr bottles of Asda's best cooking oil,I watched him fasinated as he poured 10 x3ltr bottles strait into his tank.On having a word he told me he runs on 50/50,but has come against 2 problems,first a lot of stores are cracking down on bulk purchases 6ltr max per customer 2nd & most important police are doing road checks. So beware, chap tells me he only uses it in the country never in towns as the smell is a dead giveaway. so be warned. By the way do you think my 17 year old non turbo Renault Mudgard run would on it????
Steuart.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back