VAT refund

Annsman

I’m just wondering if we can now claim back the VAT we pay when touring EU countries? I only ask because a couple of years ago we went to Iceland, the country not the shop, and when leaving there were signs saying you could claim back their VAT, because it was a different rate to EU VAT. We never, because we never kept receipts because we didn’t know about it.
One week into being in France & Spain I’ve kept my receipts just in case. So can anyone enlighten me please?
This time next year Rodney, I’ll be a millionaire, with thinking like this! 😉😆

When I was VAT reg I claimed back everything I bought right down to toasters and kettles. ;)

It would seem the answer is yes! Well kind of. Dont get too excited.

From the article.

"there are rules around what you can and cannot claim. Goods which are not used or consumed on your trip will qualify – think fashion items, cosmetics, jewellery, technology and yes your wine too. On the other hand, restaurant bills, metro tickets, gas bills or alcohol you've already drunk will not qualify. If you're planning to stay in the EU for a bit longer, also make sure you keep an eye on your purchase time, as the right to claim a VAT refund expires at the end of 3 months after the date of your purchase."

So lets face it. 99% of what we spend in France etc is booze and cheese which we quaff while away. Well it is for me so it dont qualify. :(

I still officially run an VAT registered business though so maybe I could claim all the booze and cheese anyway as business expenses while more than 50 miles away from home or whatever the rule is :)

However I guess at last, finally it could actually be a Brexit benefit. :poop: :ROFLMAO:

A bit off topic.

When I was a courier I used to claim all my food and drink when out on the road, I forget how far from home I had to be to claim subsistence.

Basically, I just kept receipts even just a paper bag with the amount written on from a greasy spoon wagon, VAT receipts were a bonus, but they never quibbled them as it wasn't a large amount each time.

I bought some radio parts from US they didn,t charge me tax but I got done for import duty which by the time I also paid PO handling fee was worse off

You may be able to claim something back.

When I was working in South Africa (and had temporary residents status) it was possible to claim back the VAT on UK purchases before boarding the flight back to RSA. I never did but I know one lad who did it every trip. He usually bought electrical goods which were very expensive in RSA and sold them to South Africans.

His biggest money spinner was to take back new VHS tape recorders and all the latest movies. He recorded on to blank tapes and sold them to the shops that hired them out. The latest movies took a long time to reach RSA and his tapes were in big demand. He got the idea because airline staff were doing something similar by taping BBC Match of the Day and the ITV Big Match and supplying copies to lots of Pubs around Johannesburg and other big cities.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back