Van Security

Morning Fisherman,

As you might have read above I recently discovered I can open the hab door with a flathead. Is there a particular brand or type of door lock you could recommend please? I do appreciate that you don't know the internal fixing space I have available so can't commit to a model.

Feedback from other users very welcome

Good morning Tookey

I have seen these fitted and the offer the benefit of good visual deterrence. But ultimately habitation doors due to their light weight construction will always be a weak point.

Last edited:
most of us have plastic seitz or similar large windows - must be the easiest way in to a van with not much force. Agree that hidden engine immobilisation is the best way and not leaving valuables in view.

Surprisingly glass even toughened glass is not much better. Toughened glass is fitted more for safety than security. Simply tapping a corner with a screwdriver and a hammer shatters it and with little noise. But generally speaking due to their weight limitations motorhomes are less secure than buildings.

First rule to remember. If they want to get in, they’ll get in no matter what you do
F7C07471-50C0-4F9C-BAEC-DA1248659359.jpeg
D763F752-C8B6-4FAE-9FE1-432B2290D4A1.jpeg
4F743B8A-6461-42AA-AC82-E63E9534BB0A.jpeg

In the U.K. parked and went for a 45 minute walk. What was stolen was irritating and minimal compared to the damage done. Main things taken were an old computer and the Avtex tv. Computer had a pass code on it and tv did not have cables with it. Both had pennies as second had stolen property value. My iPad not taken as again pass coded and they obviously checked on that before taking it. The real issue is the door damage as a replacement door from Hymer is £5000 plus labour. This happened at end of January and we are not a jot closer to getting it fixed. It has been left in a recovery yard during the lockdown at £15 per day

I have a Thatcham cat 1 alarm, a Disklok and a lock which goes across the brake/clutch/accelerator pedals. I think that any sort of mechanical deterrents are usually enough to make the crooks move on to easier pickings.

I also have a 2500kg pallet truck at home so if I got really worried I could place a pallet with a couple of ton concrete block behind the van which might make them think twice!

I have a Thatcham cat 1 alarm, a Disklok and a lock which goes across the brake/clutch/accelerator pedals. I think that any sort of mechanical deterrents are usually enough to make the crooks move on to easier pickings.

I also have a 2500kg pallet truck at home so if I got really worried I could place a pallet with a couple of ton concrete block behind the van which might make them think twice!
Its the damage they do ,wifes uncle had his car nicked from RVH horspiddel through security gates without the ticket,when it was recovered they had sh one tea all over the back seats etc,lucky for him it was a dla loan car so some poor bu--er had to clean it before returning it.

Its the damage they do ,wifes uncle had his car nicked from RVH horspiddel through security gates without the ticket,when it was recovered they had sh one tea all over the back seats etc,lucky for him it was a dla loan car so some poor bu--er had to clean it before returning it.

My brother in law had his car nicked Trev but the police rang him a few hours later to say that they had found it in a layby.

When he went to fetch it there appeared to be no damage, but the first question the police asked was "Tell me sir, did this car have an engine when it was stolen?"

Police could get DNA from that Trev, but I doubt they would even though it would be an easy conviction if the thief's DNA was on record.

Hi I have fitted one on of these to protect the hab door downside is if they want to be in could cause a lot of damage.
https://www.leisureoutlet.com/secur...MIheHdpMSh6gIVx4GyCh1k-QsNEAQYASABEgIwafD_BwE
In my opinion these reduce security. For a start, they are very visible, cleary advertising that you think there is something valuable inside.
If locked, it's an easy to see sign that the vehicle is unoccupied and so is a worthwhile target.
If not locked, it's obvious from a considerable distance.
They dont stop breakins, they just increase the damage caused by a determined thief.
If I bought a motorhone with these fitted, I'd remove them.

Back window or roof lite,10 sec job

They would have to nick the car thats normally parked behind it first though and reconnect the battery. Pretty sure we would have sussed them out by then. Not that it will ever get nicked anyway. Pretty much zero crime rate here.

They would have to nick the car thats normally parked behind it first though and reconnect the battery. Pretty sure we would have sussed them out by then. Not that it will ever get nicked anyway. Pretty much zero crime rate here.

There was one nicked in our next village along Barry.

It had a car parked behind it and it seems that they pushed it out (on a gravel driveway) and left it in the middle of the road before pushing the van out and making off with it.

The couple who owned the vehicle were in a bungalow and the van was parked in front of their bedroom window. God knows how they did it.

There was one nicked in our next village along Barry.

It had a car parked behind it and it seems that they pushed it out (on a gravel driveway) and left it in the middle of the road before pushing the van out and making off with it.

The couple who owned the vehicle were in a bungalow and the van was parked in front of their bedroom window. God knows how they did it.

The last crime here I think was about 12 years ago. Some criminals on the run from the Police crossing the A66 from Penrith wanted to change cars and apparently just walked into my next door neighbours house (door is always open), picked up his keys and wallet and took off with his crappy Nissan Micra.

I doubt my old van would be a target. Its still probably worth over £10K but who would go to the bother here? Actually its parked out front at the moment and I think I forgot to lock it. 😬

In my opinion these reduce security. For a start, they are very visible, cleary advertising that you think there is something valuable inside.
If locked, it's an easy to see sign that the vehicle is unoccupied and so is a worthwhile target.
If not locked, it's obvious from a considerable distance.
They dont stop breakins, they just increase the damage caused by a determined thief.
If I bought a motorhone with these fitted, I'd remove them.
Ok can see your point, but this van is my home when on the road, so I don’t door protect the door and let them take what they want easily, as for not looking like being occupied we often have it in a closed position when wilding and use the front cab for access and entry.

Everything in van is valuable it's my property So does “nothing valuable” though process apply to steering locks, wheel locks tracker alarms dash cams and the many other ways in which we attempt to protect or our properties, how would my insurance company respond if they felt I had not taken due care to protect my vehicle.

I am not a thief, but I would move on to a less secure vehicle as they would be easier picking it may be a deterrent And yes I have been a victim of theft, damage to my vehicle and my bricks and mortar residence and it's not nice so I will make it difficult for them, not easy.

Last edited:
i was going to post something about safety concerns and measures in vans when wild camping as we would look for spots that are remote. This has set enough alarm bells ringing for me. Interested to know as a newcomer to being a van owner whether this is something I should be ver concerned about as I will have my 3y old son and wife with me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back