Van Security

CarlandHels

We've now fitted CCTV 4 camera system to the outside of our van 24/7 recording, also have fitted a couple of small cameras into the cab area, these can be seen clearly by anyone looking in.
When we leave the van we ARM them and all triggered recordings are saved to the cloud, as well as getting a message quite quickly via the app on your phone. (Must have wifi/mifi in your van) They plug into usb and don't use much power. We have 5 of these in the van watching Hab door and windows. So yes the van may be stolen or robbed but at least we will have footage on the cloud hopefully showing who they are, or at least get them looking through the windows checking the van out first. Plus warning signs on all windows.....

I know some might think that it's extreme and think it's a stupid idea, but it's a FORD lol... So for £30 per cam and £2.50pm cloud storage it's pretty cheap way of helping to secure our home. We also have steering disc lock on too.

This is the quality of the cab cams.
smart_cam_snapshot_2020_06_26_08_29_44.jpg

smart_cam_snapshot_2020_06_26_08_30_12.jpg

Looks good but any tealeaf will be hooded up and no picy will be any good in court and thats if police ever find it or them before its stripped down for parts,sad fact of life insurance is your only safe bet.

Yeah I agree with Trev about being hooded up. But spose it might still make them think first.. Hearing about some insurances, well I won't be trusting them to pay up... They'll try to wriggle out of paying everytime.
As Trev says, if they're hooded up (and with warning signs on the windows they'd be foolish not to be), the images probably won't be much use. Cab door security is a must to reduce the risk of contents being stolen. Standard alarm systems fitted to the Transit can often be disarmed using a key and therefore also by using a lock pick., so worth looking at this issue. (My alarm system is independent of the central locking.) And impede access to the OBD port to prevent programming of keys or other methods of overcoming the OEM immobiliser.

Yeah we can do alsorts to stop the thieves but to be honest if they want it they'll know how to get it no matter how much we all do... I'd of thought that they might of skouted around it before hand. Then maybe get a view of them first. Can but hope we never need to find out..

Hi have you got a link to the outside cams and the inside ones I too have a transit
thanks chris

The inside ones can be found on Amazon. They're called Neos Smart Cams. Well worth the money. The outside ones I bought 2 sets off ebay and they're Ring 4 Camera system.
Don't have the links sorry. But hope this helps..

Might be worth getting a hidden tracker as well if you have internet signal in van if it gets nicked - at least you would know where it was if someone did break in and nick it

I have worked in the security industry for 30 years now. The most important thing for a thief is not to steal from you but not to get caught in the process. Anything that increases their chance of being caught increases the chance that they will go elsewhere. In my time I installed around 2000 security systems and I could count the break ins in my fingers over that 30 year period. And even when customers were broken into the systems curtailed to a great extent what was stolen. I am not a great believer in CCTV in such situations, I reckon good physical protection ie wheel and steering locks. Improved door locks, thatcham class one alarm and a well hidden tracker are about all you can do. If you do all of these things you reduce the chances of break ins or your van being stolen. But the best protection comes from insurance, none of these things means you can skimp on your insurance, it’s the best protection you can have. And contrary to what was posted insurance companies always pay out so long as you have not breached requirements. If there are any changes due to ie faulty equipment inform your insurers ASAP in writing.

I have worked in the security industry for 30 years now. The most important thing for a thief is not to steal from you but not to get caught in the process. Anything that increases their chance of being caught increases the chance that they will go elsewhere. In my time I installed around 2000 security systems and I could count the break ins in my fingers over that 30 year period. And even when customers were broken into the systems curtailed to a great extent what was stolen. I am not a great believer in CCTV in such situations, I reckon good physical protection ie wheel and steering locks. Improved door locks, thatcham class one alarm and a well hidden tracker are about all you can do. If you do all of these things you reduce the chances of break ins or your van being stolen. But the best protection comes from insurance, none of these things means you can skimp on your insurance, it’s the best protection you can have. And contrary to what was posted insurance companies always pay out so long as you have not breached requirements. If there are any changes due to ie faulty equipment inform your insurers ASAP in writing.
Morning Fisherman,

As you might have read above I recently discovered I can open the hab door with a flathead. Is there a particular brand or type of door lock you could recommend please? I do appreciate that you don't know the internal fixing space I have available so can't commit to a model.

Feedback from other users very welcome

Morning Fisherman,

As you might have read above I recently discovered I can open the hab door with a flathead. Is there a particular brand or type of door lock you could recommend please? I do appreciate that you don't know the internal fixing space I have available so can't commit to a model.

Feedback from other users very welcome
They just twist the barrel in the door skin so wast of time,put a remote switch/or a tap in the fuel pump line out of sight,this will let you hear them trying to crank it over and give you time to ph the police if outside home and stop them driving of if you parked up away from home.

Just a though if van is parked on the street outside or in the boundaries of the property what about a baby alarm, i have one in my bike garage at the back of the house, it's a rechargeable.Works treat.

most of us have plastic seitz or similar large windows - must be the easiest way in to a van with not much force. Agree that hidden engine immobilisation is the best way and not leaving valuables in view.

The deadlocks have worked well on my work van, one of my sliding panels took a beating when they tried to pop the door but the deadlock held

Just a though if van is parked on the street outside or in the boundaries of the property what about a baby alarm, i have one in my bike garage at the back of the house, it's a rechargeable.Works treat.
Really good idea that. I had one until a few months back but our toddler snapped the monitor cable plug and as he is coming up 2 it would have been redundant. Super sensitive as well, it would wake you before they had finished getting in for sure

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back