Van Security

Tbear

Just got this from local Police.

This is a message sent via eCops. This information has been sent on behalf of Cambridgeshire Constabulary

(Please do not reply or forward this email directly; please use the Reply, Share buttons at the bottom of this message)
Message sent by
Helen O'Driscoll (Police, Community Safety Officer, Peterborough - Southern)

Good afternoon
Please be advised that we are experiencing a series of thefts of work vans in the Peterborough area, in particular Mercedes Sprinter vans, and we would urge all residents with such vehicles to take extra precautions to keep them, and the contents safe.

Please report anything at all suspicious immediately.

For those of you wanting some extra security for your vehicles then please do have a look at ProtectAVan who can supply various security products for most types of vehicle.

Many thanks
Helen O'Driscoll

I have nothing to do with ProtectAVan but if the police are recommending them? May be worth a look.

Richard

Find it a little suspect a message from the Police would recommend a specific private company for security products?

Community Safety Officer Helen O'Driscoll, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire Constabulary - Police.uk

Might be a better way to respond. Looks genuine but Hey! it is an unsolicited email

Just a thought

The police officer and staff images on this page must not be stored, recorded, republished, or otherwise processed without the explicit agreement of Cambridgeshire Constabulary. They are not licensed for use under the Open Government License.

Your post is in clear breach of that. Please remove it.

Richard

Find it a little suspect a message from the Police would recommend a specific private company for security products?

I don't see what is suspect? Its just a regular Ecops news letter. You would not have given it a second thought if it was about security labelling. If you are not interested then don't visit the link. There have been a spate of vans nicked and I thought it may be of interest to some members. Again I have nothing to do with the company and I receive no payment from them.

Richard

I don't see what is suspect? Its just a regular Ecops news letter. You would not have given it a second thought if it was about security labelling. If you are not interested then don't visit the link. There have been a spate of vans nicked and I thought it may be of interest to some members. Again I have nothing to do with the company and I receive no payment from them.

Richard

It's certainly of interest to me Richard, having 2 Sprinters at Alconbury and my Renault at home.

Thanks for posting.

Richard

I find it suspect that a publically accountable body would recommend a specific private company.
If it was about security labelling I would have EXACTLY the same thought.

Still think it is suspect whatever your connection is or is not with them.

I find it suspect that a publically accountable body would recommend a specific private company.
If it was about security labelling I would have EXACTLY the same thought.

Still think it is suspect whatever your connection is or is not with them.

I got one about SmartWater - The Crime Fighting Company a while back is that suspicious as well

I work for a large publically accountable company called the NHS and we promote numerous private companies, mainly because they are reliable and have something that the other companies do not have. This is normally after extensive trials of the product which may have taken many years and cost millions of pounds.

Nobody is encouraging you to purchase from these people, just offering you a chance to see what is available. If you don't like it, stay well away. Many people worry about posting on here because of the negative replies that they get for well meaning posts. At times I can see their point.

Richard

The police officer and staff images on this page must not be stored, recorded, republished, or otherwise processed without the explicit agreement of Cambridgeshire Constabulary. They are not licensed for use under the Open Government License.

Your post is in clear breach of that. Please remove it.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I was just a little , only a little concerned as it may look more than a little suspect. An unsolicited email, purporting to be from the police and recommending a private company.

As for my share, I did not share your email. I shared a Police.UK page, following a Google search, which has an upper bar button to have people do just that, so I do not think I have breached any copyright, just provided a link to a publicly accessible page on the net.

I was just posting an err of caution, not in any way meaning to cause you any offence. In this day an age it is good to sometimes do that

Cheers

Ed

Many products are police approved or recommended, simply because they are more effective than others. They deal with the results of crime every day and so get to know what works and what doesn't. Certain brands of Dashcams are a prime example. Some are good enough to display a car registration plate, some are not.

I will always look at a recommended product, but I will also research other products and look at reviews or tests of the product before making my mind up.

Hi Richard,

I was just a little , only a little concerned as it may look more than a little suspect. An unsolicited email, purporting to be from the police and recommending a private company.

As for my share, I did not share your email. I shared a Police.UK page, following a Google search, which has an upper bar button to have people do just that, so I do not think I have breached any copyright, just provided a link to a publicly accessible page on the net.

I was just posting an err of caution, not in any way meaning to cause you any offence. In this day an age it is good to sometimes do that

Cheers

Ed

I have handed it over to Phil (Admin) I know he has had issues in the past with threats of legal action. This is not my site or liability so it is his decision.

It's not unsolicited as I am a subscriber and in truth, I was a little surprised but on thinking about it, decided that it was a good idea to share. Not a mistake I will make again in a hurry. :)

No problems with caution.

Richard

I got one about SmartWater - The Crime Fighting Company a while back is that suspicious as well

I work for a large publically accountable company called the NHS and we promote numerous private companies, mainly because they are reliable and have something that the other companies do not have. This is normally after extensive trials of the product which may have taken many years and cost millions of pounds.

Nobody is encouraging you to purchase from these people, just offering you a chance to see what is available. If you don't like it, stay well away. Many people worry about posting on here because of the negative replies that they get for well meaning posts. At times I can see their point.

Richard

You have your opinion. I have mine. No problem. Think you need to be a little bit less delicate about something you post being every so slightly challenged. I don't know you any more then I know some random person on the street and you don't know me, so why should you trust my thoughts about it any more or less then I would yours?

You have your opinion. I have mine. No problem. Think you need to be a little bit less delicate about something you post being every so slightly challenged. I don't know you any more then I know some random person on the street and you don't know me, so why should you trust my thoughts about it any more or less then I would yours?

Never been called Delicate before. :)

Richard

I've no concerns about the company being recommended. But I have concerns that an organisation such as the police is recommending a company as opposed to specific products. The reason being that I suspect, whilst done with good intention, there may well be negligible difference in quality or performance of the final product as compared to other traders. As such the question is then 'on what basis is the recommendation?'.

This is not in any way to detract from the original post, just to suggest that a certain degree of caution when viewing such unsolicited statements (from the police rather than the OP) is no bad thing.

Treat it like any recommendation, bear it in mind, but do your own homework too.

Treat it like any recommendation, bear it in mind, but do your own homework too.
Very true.

And from an official Police publication ....
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Always approach deals, opportunities, documents, transactions and information with an inquiring and questioning mind."
(My emboldening as applies to this thread)

Which is what I did (following Police advice to question Police advice ;) )

PS. Link to police document "The little book of BIG Scams"

"REMEMBER: FRAUD CAN COME FROM ANYWHERE; INTERNAL STAFF, CUSTOMERS, SUPPLIERS AS WELL AS UNCONNECTED THIRD PARTIES."
(From same document)

Have any of you had a look at the site? It has a very wide range of solutions to problems that I did not know existed but your van security is your problem. I will say no more about it until we get the next stolen van thread.

Richard

Have any of you had a look at the site? It has a very wide range of solutions to problems that I did not know existed but your van security is your problem. I will say no more about it until we get the next stolen van thread.

Richard

I have, a very good selection of stuff. I haven't checked/compared prices yet, but will do soon. As you say, they do have a wide range of solutions.

Seems like this thread has been lost, a member in all good faith has posted a warning from the Police re: van thefts. Protect-a-van also supports many stolen vehicle media sites.
Having had a vehicle recently stolen, it is a subject I take a great deal of interest and any information is always well received by me.
Thanks to the OP for having the foresight in posting the information.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back