Van needed - 4 people, 3 months travel in Europe

UFO

Our daughter and her partner, who live in Australia, with dual UK citizenship, will take a sabbatical from their work in 2024. They plan to travel with their children, ages 7 and 5, in Europe in a campervan for around three months. Our van, Adria Twin PVC, is not suitable as it does not have the sleeping capacity.

Options are -

1) Buy a used van and sell it later? No idea what the buy-sell difference would be.

2) Hire one - for example Indie Campers, Weinsberg Nomad pop-top with double bed in roof £10,600 for 84 nights, including the premium insurance option. I need to do a wider search of hire companies - any suggestions?

3) Hire one from camplify.co.uk (site where private owners hire their vans out). Price wise it is a non-starter. The day rates INCREASE from the 'From' rate shown on the front page for the requested hire period, by as much as £30 per day. The van from Indie, (2) above, is newer, 2023, with a higher specification and at a better price than all but one of the Camplify vans and here the price difference is marginal.

4) any other ideas??

Van choice - ideally no more than 6m long

a) A friend has a Hymer Ayers Rock campervan. Impressive what is contained in its 5.4m length; transverse bed, toilet/shower with pop-top with double bed. There are other makes of high-top vans with pop-top roof beds. This is from 2021 but relevant if we buy a used van - https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...ampervan-trends-of-2021-pop-tops-on-high-tops

b) There are vans with bunks, e.g. Adria Twin 4, and vans with beds on two levels at the back, e.g. Auto-trail Tribute 669, but these look cramped compared with high-top vans with pop-top roof beds.

c) what other vans would be suitable?

Any experience of these vans or other ideas?

All useful thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thank you

David

Wildax solaris (or xl) have 2 bunks to rear and make up double in front lounge plus kitchen and bathroom, with 2 kids I’d choose nothing smaller, or, buy a safari room and sleep in that.

Hammocks for the kids ? In your van

Do not get a pop top. get a whosh bang that they can stand up in

Have they been in a van that long ! Get the best van as divorces are a lot more expensive

If you buy one, are they mechanically minded. Or are you on speed dial for 3 months lol

I've Just re-watched robin Williams in the long turd. Very funny film. That was a rental, American van.

I NOW live in Thailand.
I have a 6.5m 4 berth for sale.
Located in Gloucestershire
Same model as below
21,000GBP negotiable 53,000 miles Good condition for a 2006 vehicle
We lived in it all summer for 5 months for 9 years.
Ready to go fully kitted out
Bedding Kitchen Tools etc
2x11kg refillable gas 2 x leisure batteries
Only any good for me if bought Otherwise it will be a broker
MOT until April but no Tax or insurance

Last edited:
PM Me if of any interest.
For now we cannot return to UK for health reasons

I NOW live in Thailand.
I have a 6.5m 4 berth for sale.
Located in Gloucestershire
Same model as below
21,000GBP negotiable 53,000 miles Good condition for a 2006 vehicle
We lived in it all summer for 5 months for 9 years.
Ready to go fully kitted out
Bedding Kitchen Tools etc
2x11kg refillable gas 2 x leisure batteries
Only any good for me if bought Otherwise it will be a broker
MOT until April but no Tax or insurance
Thank you, worth considering.

I can see the rear double bed. Where is the other bed, size, configuration? I assume it is made from the side settee / dining table but details would be appreciated.

The Front Dining table leg has a knee joint and further support. so the table dropped and front facing bench seat are 60 % of a double bed.
The bench seat on the passenger side has a pull out which completes a double bed.
We rarely used it but we have all the "cushions" etc
Where are you based..Viewing by you needed. I mayy use va broker based in Stroud
The vehicle is in secure dry storage near Newent (Withydale Estates)
They have a set of keys. We have a set here which I will see about sending anyway

Last edited:
ps
The table will slide out and we have the insert.
Thus 5 people can use
The 2 captains front seats (swivelled) the 2 front facing bench seat spaces and the side bench seat

The Front Dining table leg has a knee joint and further support. so the table dropped and front facing bench seat are 60 % of a double bed.
The bench seat on the passenger side has a pull out which completes a double bed.
We rarely used it but we have all the "cushions" etc
I found this photo which shows how it looks.

I will discuss this with the family. We are not in a rush as we won't need it until April, so if you get the chance to sell don’t wait for us.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119_211733_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240119_211733_Samsung Internet.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 22
Wildax solaris (or xl) have 2 bunks to rear and make up double in front lounge
Yes, one of the few with bunk beds. I would be interested in your experience of travelling in this van with two small children.

buy a safari room and sleep in that.
Like us they will be wild camping and using aires, so no safari room

Do not get a pop top. get a whosh bang that they can stand up in
Yes, that is why the 'high-top vans with pop-top roof beds' (see original post) is being considered

Last edited:
I found this photo which shows how it looks.

I will discuss this with the family. We are not in a rush as we won't need it until April, so if you get the chance to sell don’t wait for us.
yes...
As you post I will sell if I get a sensible offer

Yes, one of the few with bunk beds. I would be interested in your experience of travelling in this van with two small children.

i bought the XL as I have 4 kids or step kids all with youngsters and in the 3 years I owned it not one of them used it once, they ‘prefer’ package holidays but I slept in the bunks all the time as my wife snores a lot and it was absolutely fine and spacious enough. They’re well made too.

Reactions: UFO

i bought the XL as I have 4 kids or step kids all with youngsters and in the 3 years I owned it not one of them used it once, they ‘prefer’ package holidays but I slept in the bunks all the time as my wife snores a lot and it was absolutely fine and spacious enough. They’re well made too.
The Solaris is generally a great van. The main downside with a full compliment is if you need you use the (rear) toilet and you are berthed in the centre double. It’s impossible to not disturb one’s partner. (or whoever)

In Portugal a few years back I got chatting to a couple from NZ. They had a brand new UK reg motorhome. They were travelling the continent for a year and then intended shipping the MH back to NZ to sell it. Apparently motorhomes are much more expensive over there and they were expecting to get a year touring out of the MH and still get their money back, even after shipping, import duties and the like. I don't know how this compares to Australia, but worth a thought. Happy travels :)

I'd go for buy one then sell it, far cheaper than renting anything, of course funds needed but if they can take three months off I suspect not paupers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back