Van Life + Gaming Laptop + Flight Sim = ?

CPU isn't the only consideration and there does seem to be one problem with the new M1 Mac, at least for photographers.

Regards,
Del
This was written before it was even released into the hands of testers. I have ordered the 8gb of RAM version as the M1 uses unified RAM which works differently to normal computers. Also the SSD is so fast that it can use a swap file. It is really hard to compare the performance with Intel and AMD systems. The Ipad Pro used the A14 chip with 6GB ram and for video and photo it runs rings around most PC’s.

It's a benchmark for how the computer performs a series of tasks. If you click Phil's link, there is an option to install the software to test your PC.

The term gaming laptop really just suggests it's a bit of a better spec than you might otherwise have (need).
You need to look at the multi core performance.

If you've built your own computer you definitely know more then me, however there is some interesting stuff in this article about repurposing RAM and perhaps ultimately abolishing it and just unify SSD and RAM. That said I am not holding my breath for ProBooks to become gaming rigs anytime soon. Probably the 16" M1 ProBook will be capable if you are prepared to throw enough money at it.
My Ipad pro which has an A12 chip which is slower and has less ram than the M1 was able to run Fortnite at 2388 x 1668 at 120fps with every video option maxed flawlessly, this is something that a 1 year old gaming laptop and an XBOX one cannot do.

My Ipad pro which has an A12 chip which is slower and has less ram than the M1 was able to run Fortnite at 2388 x 1668 at 120fps with every video option maxed flawlessly, this is something that a 1 year old gaming laptop and an XBOX one cannot do.
COOL!!! Pls let me know what it's like when you get it.

Personally I still think we're a long way off the Mac replacing the PC as the gaming machine of choice.

Regards,
Del

;)
for video and photo it runs rings around most PC’s.

Still may not be the best for photographers just yet, a Beta version of Photoshop has only just been released for the M1 and it doesn't open RAW files and I think we can agree that Photoshop and RAW files are the most popular software and file format for serious photographers let alone professional ones ;)

Regards,
Del

;)

Still may not be the best for photographers just yet, a Beta version of Photoshop has only just been released for the M1 and it doesn't open RAW files and I think we can agree that Photoshop and RAW files are the most popular software and file format for serious photographers let alone professional ones ;)

Regards,
Del
The M1 macs still run all the intel software (normally faster) including photoshop. I have seen videos of people open RAW files in Photoshop on the M1 macs?

I am an Apple fan but if I wanted a gaming machine I wouldn’t be looking at pc or laptops these days. Xbox and PlayStation are just so good at doing the job at much less money that’s gaming machines. Only downside to the new consoles really is downloading everything, you need very good, fast broadband in the van.

I am an Apple fan but if I wanted a gaming machine I wouldn’t be looking at pc or laptops these days. Xbox and PlayStation are just so good at doing the job at much less money that’s gaming machines. Only downside to the new consoles really is downloading everything, you need very good, fast broadband in the van.
That's where 5G comes in I spose. Good point about consoles but personally I am only interested in Flight Sim and the whole laptop / joytick thing appeals to me. I don't dare to explore virtual reality or even other games - far too addictive.

Most laptops run on 19v, you'd be better getting something to transform from 12v to 19v than running an inverter, inverters use a lot of power and will ruin the batteries very quick unless charged while using it.

Most laptops run on 19v, you'd be better getting something to transform from 12v to 19v than running an inverter, inverters use a lot of power and will ruin the batteries very quick unless charged while using it.

That's intriguing, something like what??

I am looking at getting a solar panel fitted and I have space under a bench seat for another large battery. All that would be nice to have but still not necessarily expecting to run the gaming laptop - it seems to use a hell of a lot of power - have not even tried using in the van yet.

That's where 5G comes in I spose. Good point about consoles but personally I am only interested in Flight Sim and the whole laptop / joytick thing appeals to me. I don't dare to explore virtual reality or even other games - far too addictive.
Save up and go for a pilots licence, much better than pretending.

Just to add my opinion.

1) My inverter is 96% efficient and even with the losses from the original Apple power supply, it was still better than the 78% efficiency of the 12v charger I tested.
2) Many of the cheap 12v laptop power supplies do not have any kind of protection if they fail this could be an expensive repair (£1000+ on a Mac).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back