Van life - calling it a day

Love my van and wish I'd had one when I was younger; if hubby had been well enough who knows where we could have gone. However the constraints of work and continuing family dramas meant no overseas trips when I got the first one and now I admit I lack the courage to drive overseas on my own for the first time even though I have the time now. Much as I love the solo life sharing either the journey or the driving would be great sometimes. Perhaps I could find someone to go off in their tent at destinations!
I sympathise; it's a big step for sure going off on your own overseas for the first time, but I'd agree that it's easier driving over there than it is here in the crowded South East - make it round the M25 and you're laughing. Weirdly, it's when I get back that I have to keep reminding myself which side of the road to drive on, and the roads are a lot clearer and better maintained over there. Easier to find park ups as well.

I don't mind LHD I had a few yanks in my younger days, but although I have no problems driving a truck, I cannot drive an A class and I admire anyone who can, I just feel so detached from what's going on.
My dream Motorhome is a A class, but I can’t bring myself to buy it for exactly the reasons you state.

Give me a van, a truck, a 44tonne artic, no issue, but a Morello Palace no it just seem doesn’t right from a driving point of view, and more over only 1 door?

I spend lots of time stationary at race circuits, and I’m sure it would be great, but driving there? It just doesn’t feel natural.

We love our big home build van, more room to breath and hid the kids behind us by about 6ft.
Folk who are scared of lhd and driving on the right should come here in the spring to autumn as kids at school and places qt, lots of places to nod of at night up north part both NI and Donegal fanad area, ferry price is the killer mind you, but worth it, all midges will be kept on a lead.

I heard that you always **** in the woods 🙃
Oh come on Marie you very well know that's a viscous roomer, it's only now and then, and even then a bear has a certain style don't you know.

1678953732343.gif

I think we all get like this occasionally, at least I know I do. Some days I feel like packing it in but then I think how much I enjoy it, and that is despite the medical and other issues I suffer. I know there will be a day where I say enough is enough but until then it's grin and bear the consequences of owning an old girl like my old Tabby the Talbot!..... chin up and do what it is you desire most, we all only live once so fill it with your memories.

Maybe one thing to consider if it gets too much is changing how you motorhome. Our method of motorhoming has certainly calmed down over the years but thats mainly down to two things. I think we tried to fit in too much despite having lots of time in the early days and my Arthritis has slowed things down a bit. We tend to enjoy long trips still (Five months last summer) but will never leave a place now until we have genuinely had enough. In the early days we always wanted to move on and see what is around the next corner but I think that can become exhausting especially if your in ill health or a bit knackered. Plus we used to miss out on all sorts of places to see.

Having some form of secondary transport will help also. Electric bikes, a scooter in our case, car (Toad) or hire a car which might be worth doing if your parked up somewhere static for a week or two.

On several occasions we have parked up on the the rally field at Flamborough head for a couple of months! Not exactly adventurous but still really enjoyable. Touring and doing thousands of miles can get tiresome but it dont mean you have to pack up.

Lucky I live on a small island and can do most in a day, have stayed a few nights further down south around Newgrange and Boyne valley, not forgetting tato park, now renamed and taken over, well worth a vis.

always want to move on and see what is around the next corner, always have, low boredom threshold I think.

I can sit and do nothing all day at home sometimes, but not in the van.

you dont have to sit and do nothing though if parked up in the same place, you just go and explore it properly. If we stay put for a week or two or longer we are out every day exploring. Just what do you see and experience if your moving on every day? The highlight last summer was three weeks in the Ilfracombe, Woolacombe area. The weather helped as it was absolutely brilliant. In three weeks there wasn't a single place within thirty miles of there we hadn't explored. Plus sometimes a bit of familiarity is nice. A favourite beach, a favourite walk or ride on the bike. We found all sorts of hidden gems. Plus we got to ride out the hottest day of the year on a secluded beach that not many knew about and swam about in the sea for hours.

Well for starters we don't have alternative transport to the van, neither of us are good walkers Liz is terrible on steps due to her knees, and me with my back and hips, she can't ride a bike either, so we drive to the next place of interest, we get out and mooch around, we do Google where we're headed but to be honest it isn't very informative, mainly paid adverts for places to spend money or touristy crap, we do enjoy our trips of course, we used to walk miles when we stopped, along rivers or canals, into woods and around towns or villages and still do now and then but the feebleness soon gets you once you stop doing it and it's impossible to get it back.

So we do what we can, my walker is a godsend TBH I can sit any time I like, Liz can wander around the shops and I watch the world go by.

I'm looking for a smaller 3 wheeled walker with a seat (smaller than the 4 wheeled one) but mega expensive or too far away, I bought a used one while away but the handles are too low and make me hurt more so it's on eBay now

Maybe one thing to consider if it gets too much is changing how you motorhome. Our method of motorhoming has certainly calmed down over the years but thats mainly down to two things. I think we tried to fit in too much despite having lots of time in the early days and my Arthritis has slowed things down a bit. We tend to enjoy long trips still (Five months last summer) but will never leave a place now until we have genuinely had enough. In the early days we always wanted to move on and see what is around the next corner but I think that can become exhausting especially if your in ill health or a bit knackered. Plus we used to miss out on all sorts of places to see.

Having some form of secondary transport will help also. Electric bikes, a scooter in our case, car (Toad) or hire a car which might be worth doing if your parked up somewhere static for a week or two.

On several occasions we have parked up on the the rally field at Flamborough head for a couple of months! Not exactly adventurous but still really enjoyable. Touring and doing thousands of miles can get tiresome but it dont mean you have to pack up.
Thank you we have considered this lots and it has made us rethink. We are planning to see a lot more places and not limit ourselves. Lots of trips with friend but on our own too. Luckily we like the same things and after 32 years we don’t get bored of each other.
Paul wants to get into magnet fishing 😂.. I don’t see the appeal myself but each to their own, I want to go more dark sky places and do my photography again …we evolve move on change and grow. There are a million places we want to see and there never enough hours in the day.
Thankfully Paul in good health mines a bit iffy but I get by.
We have made a list of places 👍

Thank you we have considered this lots and it has made us rethink. We are planning to see a lot more places and not limit ourselves. Lots of trips with friend but on our own too. Luckily we like the same things and after 32 years we don’t get bored of each other.
Paul wants to get into magnet fishing 😂.. I don’t see the appeal myself but each to their own, I want to go more dark sky places and do my photography again …we evolve move on change and grow. There are a million places we want to see and there never enough hours in the day.

Great news! That house on wheels is a valuable commodity once you start weighing up the other ways of getting some time away it just working out the best and most enjoyable way of using it to suit your ever evolving needs or desire. Hope it all works out for you.

Well for starters we don't have alternative transport to the van, neither of us are good walkers Liz is terrible on steps due to her knees, and me with my back and hips, she can't ride a bike either, so we drive to the next place of interest, we get out and mooch around, we do Google where we're headed but to be honest it isn't very informative, mainly paid adverts for places to spend money or touristy crap, we do enjoy our trips of course, we used to walk miles when we stopped, along rivers or canals, into woods and around towns or villages and still do now and then but the feebleness soon gets you once you stop doing it and it's impossible to get it back.

So we do what we can, my walker is a godsend TBH I can sit any time I like, Liz can wander around the shops and I watch the world go by.

I'm looking for a smaller 3 wheeled walker with a seat (smaller than the 4 wheeled one) but mega expensive or too far away, I bought a used one while away but the handles are too low and make me hurt more so it's on eBay now

Quad bike on a trailer? You maybe explored that, cant remember. Not cheap though I imagine.

so Paul's attracted to magnet fishing ,but you're repelled ? sounds like you're poles apart

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back