Using van in freezing Temps

Nigel L

Am thinking of going away for the weekend, and the weather forecast is showing a -1 for Saturday night where we want to go.
Have a PVC with underslung water tanks, so not insulatered other than the thickness of the tank wall, although I have insulated the pipes that go from the tank to the inside and waste pipes.
Is it asking for trouble going out in in 0/-1 degrees temp?
Do others use their vans in the colder temps?
Any advice much appreciated👍

Am thinking of going away for the weekend, and the weather forecast is showing a -1 for Saturday night where we want to go.
Have a PVC with underslung water tanks, so not insulatered other than the thickness of the tank wall, although I have insulated the pipes that go from the tank to the inside and waste pipes.
Is it asking for trouble going out in in 0/-1 degrees temp?
Do others use their vans in the colder temps?
Any advice much appreciated👍
We were out in December with the same setup at the Lake District and temperatures dropped to -9.6C. I don’t reckon you will have any issues at just below, but if it gets any colder leave your grey water valve open, with a container underneath. The fact that you are heating your van makes a big difference also. From what others on here say it’s not the tank that freezes, it’s the tap, or the outlet.

We had a problem 2 weeks before Xmas when our "fully winterized" Comanche had a pipe freeze so we ended up with no water flow so cut our trip short. The heating was on all night as were the heaters in the water tanks. We always decant to a bucket for grey water anyway so no issue there.

I think the temps were especially low that night, approaching -10.

We tour all year round and have never had this problem with any of our motorhomes.

Thanks for all the replies.
Its probably me being a bit to cautious, as it’s a new van, and probably worrying too much🙈🤣
We do use our van all year round, but am always a bit nervous when the mercury drops to zero.

Thanks for all the replies.
Its probably me being a bit to cautious, as it’s a new van, and probably worrying too much🙈🤣
We do use our van all year round, but am always a bit nervous when the mercury drops to zero.
Nigel that’s exactly when you want to go out in winter. The scenery is stunning.
We enjoyed a winter wonderland, and the campsite at Braithwaite was almost empty.
50B504D7-A4E5-4573-97FB-AC7DD2C3CCDE.jpeg
188C4259-0A3B-4379-8973-C5607AD3215B.jpeg
B0685BEC-D1B5-4084-917B-3CEAF48C660C.jpeg
6E496D63-78C4-4220-A9D7-B5B64C7036CD.jpeg

So long as you keep water in the tank it should be fine, while there is a mass it won’t freeze at the temps we have been getting. Pipes however will so make sure they are lagged where external and any valves. Waste tank I never close anyway unless I am parked in a car park or roadside in towns.

It will be fine as others have said. Some vans have a dump valve on the hot water tanks if it gets below 4c but if its internal you should be ok. I think some put a peg on it to stop it dumping. No such features in our old van. Coldest we have been out wild camping in it was -17c but its pretty well winterised apart from an external grey tank which I would just leave open anyway.

Some advice from northern latitudes. Have a suitable container with sand to get loose if you get stuck. Shovels are also good to have with you. If possible, hang up the electrical cable so it does not freeze and get stuck in the snow. Always roll out the whole. Open greywater tap with bucket under. The gas heater on when you drive, the car heater is not good enough to heat the whole car. A blanket to put over the windshield and doors insulates well. MASA from Finland is the best. An electric heater adjustable to 2000W is good for longer stops with connection to electricity 10A fuse. Support heating with the gas heater. http://mhuhtalo.fi/eindex.
The picture is from the Swedish mountains and with below -25°C at night. Brrrrr.
IMG_1571.JPG

Last edited:
Just watched ( king in it YT) and the girl had a ex-long ( 2/3 foot) hot water bottle, that they used to defrost the none insulated pipes inside the van !. artic circle location.
Pipe now insulated. With toggle stuff . Will it work ? ?..
So always a work around.

-1c as an overnight temperature should be no problem for your tanks, you have lagged the pipes so they should also be OK. You will need to ensure the inside of van doesn't get too cold or the dump valve will open.

-1c as an overnight temperature should be no problem for your tanks, you have lagged the pipes so they should also be OK. You will need to ensure the inside of van doesn't get too cold or the dump valve will open.
Tend to keep the heating on low through the night, and with waste pipes also lagged, as you say, should all be good👍F988951A-213C-46F9-961A-662F7FA0438D.jpeg
And of course a quick polish of the exhaust whilst scrambling underneath🤣😉😉

Some advice from northern latitudes. Have a suitable container with sand to get loose if you get stuck. Shovels are also good to have with you. If possible, hang up the electrical cable so it does not freeze and get stuck in the snow. Always roll out the whole. Open greywater tap with bucket under. The gas heater on when you drive, the car heater is not good enough to heat the whole car. A blanket to put over the windshield and doors insulates well. MASA from Finland is the best. An electric heater adjustable to 2000W is good for longer stops with connection to electricity 10A fuse. Support heating with the gas heater. http://mhuhtalo.fi/eindex.
The picture is from the Swedish mountains and with below -25°C at night. Brrrrr.
View attachment 117350
Is that an enormous van or small person?

I do it all the time. I don't tend to use tanks in the winter. Just take 5 litres of water in a container from supermarket.

Same here, all tanks drained down and carry 2 containers of 5 ltrs each, only thing that has water is the loo and electric hand wash unit in the bathroom.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back