Using Electric Bikes in Northern Ireland

Fifer

Just read an article about electric bikes in Ireland need to hold a motorbike licence.
The Editor added: "the current law in NI also states that electric bikes need to be insured, taxed and registered with the DVLA, although there are motions in place to change this". There was a reference to the August issue of the mag about carrying electric bikes on the back of motorhomes".
I'll see if I can find the issue and write what was said then in this post.
ost.

Told folk that here many weeks back as halfords have withdrew all on display after posting a warning in shop.
Strange thing i saw one on the rd last week and many have been sold over the last few years,just wonder could folk get money back or clam of any firm that sold them the bikes without informing them about the law.

We have 2 folding electric bikes, bought from Halfords 18 months back. I did receive an e mail from Halfords a while back suggesting I remove the battery until the issue is resolved.

We continue to use the bikes as designed. I cannot see the police being foolish enough to try and prosecute anyone as a result of political incompetence. It is legal in the Republic of Ireland, it is legal in Wales, Scotland, England and the whole of the EU. The bikes are pedal assist to comply with laws removing them from the very scenario we are talking about. I can imagine the publicity the politicians and police would face if a case was taken.

By the way, this cock up is a really good indicator of how effective Stormont is/is not. Can you imagine the state of important things like policing, health, education etc.

Let them dare take me to court.

Davy

One of the 'problems' of devolved government.
NI electric bike riders 'must have licences' - BBC News

IMO these bikes need to have mandatory 3rd party insurance to insure this is current they'll need to be registered with a identification number so a road tax needs to be applied to fund this.
Imagine a person with a family to support being knocked down on the pavement by one of these bikes and being off work for weeks and the person with the bike having no insurance or means of identifying the bike

Last edited:
IMO these bikes need to have mandatory 3rd party insurance to insure this is current they'll need to be registered with a identification number so a road tax needs to be applied to fund this.
Imagine a person with a family to support being knocked down on the pavement by one of these bikes and being off work for weeks and the person with the bike having no insurance or means of identifying the bike

Pretty much the same as any other bike then?
p.s. and then we get on to 'pensioners hotrods'.

There taking them of kids and larger ones are being ask to take home until this is cleared up in co antrim,i have not heard of any prosecutions as such,yet but im sure in the case of a claim some solicitor will have you.

[...] It is legal in the Republic of Ireland, it is legal in Wales, Scotland, England and the whole of the EU. The bikes are pedal assist to comply with laws removing them from the very scenario we are talking about. I can imagine the publicity the politicians and police would face if a case was taken. [...]
ISTR that if a motor vehicle is legal in its home state then it can be used in any member state of the EU. (Isn't this the rule that permits us to tow a 'toad' in Spain etc?) However, there is a paradox because a pedelec is only 'motor vehicle' in NI. That said, I suspect an appeal to the EU courts would end in favour of the cyclist and cost to the NI government (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Cyclists Defence Fund got involved). Perhaps this is why no pedelec user has been prosecuted for no helmet/registration/tax etc?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back