Using Android Auto or CarPlay?

Clunegapyears

Evening all
Need new car audio systems in both Jez the motorhome and Zorba the Greek Skoda. So started doing a bit of Googling, as you do. Don't think either will be any use for Jez for navigation as not compatible with Co pilot, which we use. But can play Spotify and Audible through these.
So ... is anyone using Android Auto or CarPlay in a vehicle? Thoughts? What features do you like / dislike? Worth the money compared to a simple radio with Bluetooth?
Many thanks
Katherine

I have Android Auto in my car.

When I have used it I think it is good. I don't use it much as only tend to do short journeys in the car so don;t bother plugging in the phone, but I would for a longer trip (and the ability to use Google Maps for navigation is good on it).
I also used Audible that way.
Overall a good system I think :)

However .... in the Motorhome, I replaced the Dash head unit with a Full Android unit. So stuff like Audible, maps, and the usual apps you have on the phone you can run on the Motorhome system without having to connect the phone up at all. now THAT I much prefer :D

I have Android Auto in my car.

When I have used it I think it is good. I don't use it much as only tend to do short journeys in the car so don;t bother plugging in the phone, but I would for a longer trip (and the ability to use Google Maps for navigation is good on it).
I also used Audible that way.
Overall a good system I think :)

However .... in the Motorhome, I replaced the Dash head unit with a Full Android unit. So stuff like Audible, maps, and the usual apps you have on the phone you can run on the Motorhome system without having to connect the phone up at all. now THAT I much prefer :D
Thanks David. What is a full Android Unit? Does it need it's own data ... thinking about the limitations using uk phones in EU. Got a Greek phone but data is super expensive.
Just been reading about Alexa Auto. Could then buy a simple £100 radio with Bluetooth and aux input. With this could ring out hands free, add to my shopping list etc. I'm a big Alexa fan. But it uses up my data when abroad.

Thanks David. What is a full Android Unit? Does it need it's own data ... thinking about the limitations using uk phones in EU. Got a Greek phone but data is super expensive.
Just been reading about Alexa Auto. Could then buy a simple £100 radio with Bluetooth and aux input. With this could ring out hands free, add to my shopping list etc. I'm a big Alexa fan. But it uses up my data when abroad.
Imagine an Android tablet, with a car radio - with all the speaker connections, amplifier, radio aerial, bliuetooth for handsfree etc, built into it.

And just like a Tablet they connect to a hotspot for data (so in my van, it connects to a MiFi mobile router).
What I like about it is I can just install apps on the head unit just like on the phone - so run Audible (and download the books for off-line listening), Amazon Music, and any other apps you want.
I got one of these in the camper after a long trip where I was stuck with just basic radio and juyst couldn't get audible working on the phone and connect to the dash. Liked it so much when I got the new MH, I got another Android unit :)

But Andriod Auto is a good option still (y)
Not looked in detail at the Alexa Auto - is it like an Echo which connects to the radio?
(just had a look .... might not suit you for Audible? looks like it streams Audible rather then playing downloaded books. THinking about it, a setup like Android Auto is best for you I think? you can download the books and music and whathaveyou on the phone when in the house on your regular broadband and then play those downloads when on the road. Could be awkward doing that on an in-vehicle unit)

Last edited:
Thanks ... think I'll check a bit more ... you're right needs to be able to play downloaded music and books. Currently driving motorhome with ear phones bluetoothed to phone. And we've stuck a Flip speaker in the Greek car. Quite a few motoring expenses at the moment ... Old Merc spend to date is over £3K (only worth just over £5K!) and Zorba the Greek has just had the glow light replacement light come up ... not expensive if that's all it is!
We're going to be driving back to Greece in convoy, so I do like the idea of being able to speak command a unit to place a call to James in the car.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back