Use of false number plates

sagart

Mentioned once before that my eldest son never seemed to be disturbed wherever he parked in the UK.when he was using his German registered van.
Yesterday a French registered Chausson was parked on our lochside and I and a neighbour stopped by for a welcoming chat on the way back from rounding up sheep.
Couple turned out to be in their 50's and from Birkenhead.
They proudly showed their collection of foreign plates, French, German, Dutch etc. and said that their technique each night was to remove their UK. tax disc and fit foreign plates to replace their own....he had even manufactured very neat brackets to make this barely a minutes job.
I was assured that, "we ignore any notice about no parking and are never moved on".
Not to be recommended, but has anyone else come across this?
Slight problem I left them with.....a conversation Ian, my neighbour, who is our local PC. and off duty this week.

Dodgy ground these days in the past overseas cars got exempt for speeding fines etc but not now. And technically isn't it classed as ringing?

billy1000 said:
Would have thought it would invalidate their insurance if ever in an accident surely?

The way I read it is I think they only use the plates once stationary/parked up and not whilst on the move! So technically any incident/accident is not their fault (I would claim ignorance and say someone had stolen my plates and replaced them with those adorning the vehicle!)

virgil said:
The way I read it is I think they only use the plates once stationary/parked up and not whilst on the move! So technically any incident/accident is not their fault (I would claim ignorance and say someone had stolen my plates and replaced them with those adorning the vehicle!)

See what you are saying Virgil but as the police would say, Ignorance of the law is not a defence and you know how eager the insurance companies are to pay out. If they can find a loophole or excuse they will use it rather than pay out.

sagart said:
They proudly showed their collection of foreign plates, French, German, Dutch etc. and said that their technique each night was to remove their UK. tax disk.
It is an offence not to display a current tax disk on your vehicle though.
You could always say it had fell off.

Trevor said:
It is an offence not to display a current tax disk on your vehicle though.
You could always say it had fell off.

Would that be the same for foreign registered vehicles though as some of them such as Switzerland pay for their road tax on a daily or weekly basis.

Last edited:
They Sound As If They Only Use The Plates When They Park Up, And Change Over To The Real Ones When There On The Road. A Bit Odd

hillwalker said:
They Sound As If They Only Use The Plates When They Park Up, And Change Over To The Real Ones When There On The Road. A Bit Odd

Does sound rather wierd and a bit of a waste of time really especially in some places where local youths might target people they thought were foreigners.

billy1000 said:
Does sound rather wierd and a bit of a waste of time really especially in some places where local youths might target people they thought were foreigners.
what happen's ur sitten there chillin havin few beers, german plates on the van ,then a real german van pull's rite up next to u for chat,and all u can speak is scouser.. funny:D :D :eek:

billy1000 said:
Would that be the same for foreign registered vehicles though as some of them such as Switzerland pay for their road tax on a daily or weekly basis.
If i was pc plod i would expect to see some sort of taxation on the van be it english or otherwise if not it would make me a wee bit suspicious and send for a translator while the occupants where down the local nick having a brew and a crash course in German,:rolleyes:

hillwalker said:
what happen's ur sitten there chillin havin few beers, german plates on the van ,then a real german van pull's rite up next to u for chat,and all u can speak is scouser.. funny:D :D :eek:

You make certain your towels are on the deckchairs before them!:D

hillwalker said:
definately odd,but they are from birkinhead though:rolleyes: .........ONLY JOKING :D

***** said:
Are we scalawag's or what?:eek:
You should always show your proper plates!
i agree totally.....why go to all that trouble when it says "no over night parking" id rather either just risk it or park elsewhere....its quite funny thinknig of all the trouble they have gone to ha ha :D

actually this is attempted deception - if could prove that they did it to avoid getting ticket -would need to prove the mens rea - though stating that brand new fraud legislation just introduced which i need to re-read as it happens - as makes what were previously civil matters criminal offences - and actually the possession of the plates themselves would come into the "going equipped" category - sound like a pair of baduns to me matey

Last edited:
lady barnet said:
actually this is attempted deception - if could prove that they did it to avoid getting ticket - would be hard to prove in UK - as require the mens rea - though stating that brand new fraud legislation just introduced - and actually the possession of the plates themselves would come into the "going equipped" category - sound like a pair of baduns to me matey
probably something else going on with these guys...:eek:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back