USB type C 12v laptop charger?

I've got a similar problem with trying to locate a USB3 12v charger to power my Dell XPS 15 (9500). If anyone knows of a unit please, please let me know.

I've done a bit of digging and there looks to be a charging issue where the max the laptop will accept is actually 65W from non-Dell USB-C sources. Although to go above 60W you need a USB-C cable rated for up to 100W rather than the more common 60W. But that said even with a higher rated 'cable' you are still limited to 65W on the XPS 15. I certainly hope Dell removes this seemingly unnecessary and arbitrary limitation if they haven't already, but based on what I've seen thus far, I'm not especially hopeful.

The XPS 15 is designed for a 130W power source, so even an 87-100W power source would be undersized, which means that even if it can make the most of that power source, you might still see reduced battery charging speeds and throttled performance. The only 130W USB-C power sources I'm aware of are Dell's own 130W USB-C mains charger and some (not all) of their docking stations that support delivering that. I haven't seen any Dell USB-C 12v chargers offer 130W (I think the highest I've seen is 95W, though some are as low as 65W), and I definitely haven't seen anything in the third party world, which is expected. Me thinks Dell is clearly doing something proprietary to stretch the official USB PD spec.
Inverter............

I've got a similar problem with trying to locate a USB3 12v charger to power my Dell XPS 15 (9500). If anyone knows of a unit please, please let me know.

I've done a bit of digging and there looks to be a charging issue where the max the laptop will accept is actually 65W from non-Dell USB-C sources. Although to go above 60W you need a USB-C cable rated for up to 100W rather than the more common 60W. But that said even with a higher rated 'cable' you are still limited to 65W on the XPS 15. I certainly hope Dell removes this seemingly unnecessary and arbitrary limitation if they haven't already, but based on what I've seen thus far, I'm not especially hopeful.

The XPS 15 is designed for a 130W power source, so even an 87-100W power source would be undersized, which means that even if it can make the most of that power source, you might still see reduced battery charging speeds and throttled performance. The only 130W USB-C power sources I'm aware of are Dell's own 130W USB-C mains charger and some (not all) of their docking stations that support delivering that. I haven't seen any Dell USB-C 12v chargers offer 130W (I think the highest I've seen is 95W, though some are as low as 65W), and I definitely haven't seen anything in the third party world, which is expected. Me thinks Dell is clearly doing something proprietary to stretch the official USB PD spec.
Inverter............

Can you not just get a 300w pure sine wave invertor like the one I posted up thread and use your 240v charger? I think I also mentioned that Dell were notorious for making life difficult for the use of third party chargers. I had a hell of a job getting one that worked for Mrs D's latitude.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of pure sinewave invertors. I have various 12v laptop chargers and a box full of ends and adaptors. An invertor would do away with all of them. I tested this new Honor Laptops battery. I reckon it lasted 8-10 hours but when I let it run completely flat the 240v charger had it up to 100% in just an hour and a half. I doubt any 12v charger would beat that. Might cane the leisure batteries a bit but if its done early morning on a summers day with solar it doesnt matter whereas having a quick charge might.

Dell are all about their proprietary accessories.
I remember owning a Dell desktop PC that was almost totally assembled from Dell specific parts that couldn't be upgraded with off the shelf items at all.

The PD charger I linked above will help charge, but it won't deliver the juice if you hoped to use it for longer than the battery lasts in one sitting

I have plugged my Tronsmart car phone charger and a Microsoft 5v 1.5amp mains phone charger into my Dell Insperon, both appeared to charge it fine despite the on screen messages, this puzzled me, but there you are.
I also tried running it with 5v 1.5amp mains charger, but that couldn't keep up with discharge.
n.b. the battery on my Insperon needs replacing, but not due to this type of charging.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back