Up grade to rear view camera.

Trotter

The rear view camera on Demi came with the van. Neither the camera nor the screen is up to much.
Looking to upgrade. A wifi system looks the easiest to fit, but from what I've read, they're about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

I am hoping that the existing wiring could be use to fit new hardware. If wiring has been improved/changed over the last couple of years, I'll forget the idea. I really don't fancy having to chase new cable through the van roof lining.
Using the camera as a rear view. Therefore always live with ignition on. Reverse is done by ear.
So 'fincking out loud really

Reply if you've got a minute
Dadad

Ps Looking at youtube at the moment. From what I've seen so far only 2 wires. 1, live to camera 2 video feed. Can that be right?

Last edited:
My MH has no back window so the rear view mirror is redundant. I have my eyes on one of these - Dash cam with front and rear cameras and GPS functionality. I have a separate sat nav but would be useful as an emergency backup.

Demiawaking 4G 10" Dual Lens Android 5.1 Car GPS WIFI DVR Rearview Mirror Dash Video Recorder: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

[video=youtube;KjTZXKCizQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTZXKCizQY[/video]

Certainly does a lot of stuff [maybe too much?] for not a lot of money . Need to replace existing , broken , system . Hoping wiring is useable

I am hoping that the existing wiring could be use to fit new hardware. If wiring has been improved/changed over the last couple of years, I'll forget the idea. I really don't fancy having to chase new cable through the van roof lining.
To offer advice about your existing wiring we would need to know which type it is, they can be RCA plugs, 4 pin, 5 pin and 8 pin connectors and probably a few more types

Just read the posts and just wanted to say i have had no issues using with my reverse camera a Garmin wireless sat nav combo......... camera wired to solar panel controller output switch in cupboard in habitation area....... rear camera viewing area is good. However, it was a bit pricey.

I have had no problems with interference/drop outs and you can add more cameras if required. rear dash cam wired to solar panel output switch running off leisure battery so can be live all the time i have it in park mode to keep an eye on my bike on the rear carrier.

Sat nav camera view monitor is connected to USB/cigarette lighter hub that is hardwired into fuse box and comes on when the engine is running, along with front dash cam

The Camera has been an absolute bonus and worth the money, pre-camera day's a range rover parked 3 feet of my back bumper and I was unable to see it in the wing mirrors, another time a youth left his bike behind the camper luckily I always have a little walk around the back before getting in, even now with camera fitted.

to Shaunr68. That's going to be far to clever for me. Although the rear view mirror option would be my favourite. If you go ahead with this, a review would be good.

to tezza33. I'm going to have to take the time to investigate wiring. I can see a fair bit through the existing mirror, with the help of one of those distort lens things. Especially on the left side of the van. Not brilliant here, but right for the Continent.

My elcheepo from ebay £25 monitor £5 cam wired with a switch so on when i require it,parking reversing lining up tow hitch or rear monitor works 100%.
You can run the wires under the van or floor.

Attachments

• cam 2.jpg
    cam 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 123
  • cam 1.jpg
    cam 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 104
to Shaunr68. That's going to be far to clever for me. Although the rear view mirror option would be my favourite. If you go ahead with this, a review would be good.

to tezza33. I'm going to have to take the time to investigate wiring. I can see a fair bit through the existing mirror, with the help of one of those distort lens things. Especially on the left side of the van. Not brilliant here, but right for the Continent.

hi
if you change the wiring just fasten the new wires to the old
one with insulating tape. overlap the join by 6in. then pull the
new wire through with the old one.

No probs, will do.

Initially I was only looking for something to provide me with a usable rear view mirror in the form of a mirror mounted display for a rear camera. However I was also looking to buy a dash cam and my 4 year old Nozatec sat nav crashes sometimes so it will be handy to have a backup option for when the thing finally goes up in smoke.

hi

I live in hope that life could be that easy

If anyone who has first hand experience of changing the camera, wiring and screen is going to be at, either Wellington or Druridge, please make yourself known. Maybe you could take the time to have a walk around my van. I'm not ashamed to take advice when given, + I make a great cup of tea.

If anyone who has first hand experience of changing the camera, wiring and screen is going to be at, either Wellington or Druridge, please make yourself known. Maybe you could take the time to have a walk around my van. I'm not ashamed to take advice when given, + I make a great cup of tea.

I can vouch for tea making skills 👍

hi
Assuming the old cabling is not secured anywhere with a tiewrap to other cable looms (usually original vehicle looms)....

Chance of no secured cabling on a run of cable from the extreme rear of the vehicle to the dash area? pretty remote.
Chance of disturbing adjacent existing wiring when you pull hard enough on a cable to "pull it through"? pretty good.

You feeling lucky?

PS. lots of rubbish spoken about wireless cameras being useless. As with anything, you get what you pay for. I've installed and also used a number of wireless reversing cameras and they work fine. I've also done and used a number of wired cameras - same.
Main choice between wired and wireless for me is the cost and ease of installation.

I do not have a rear window and there was a wired rear camera fitted, but, I changed the camera to a double rear camera 4 years ago, so I can use one as a rear view mirror and the other for close reversing.
I matched the cameras to a 7.5inch monitor which luckily fits snug into the dash, so it is not stuck on top of the dash or screen, and the connections fit both the camera and monitor, both bought separately off ebay.
As I have found out, it is very important that the cable you use is shielded to avoid interference from other electrical wires, which can cause slight ghosting.
I routed the cable from the dash, under the vehicle into the rear garage and up the wall inside the bedroom, then straight through the rear wall to the cameras (at which point there it is sealed).
Where the cable goes under the vehicle it is inside plastic corrugated tubing and where it goes along a wall, it is enclosed in plastic trunking (the sticky backed type).

My set up has been good for the last 4 years, albeit with slight ghosting due to not using the original supplied cable, as it was not long enough.
Looking at the double cameras now, I am due camera renewal, due to rust on the brackets that hold them. looking for a decent plastic holder this time though, but may have to change the cabling again to suit the cameras. :)

Well I take it black but the one I got was a proper cuppa Charlie :)

I aim to please. Not always successfully. ( Lots of double letters in successfully. Not easy to type wiv one finger.)

Oh! Tea! Sorry got side tracked. Several variations on basic builders.

As Neil can confirm, I have more than one kettle. No. waitng

Last edited:
I aim to please. Not always successfully. ( Lots of double letters in successfully. Not easy to type wiv one finger.)

Oh! Tea! Sorry got side tracked. Several variations on basic builders.

As Neil can confirm, I have more than one kettle. No. waitng

Ha ha, I forgot how many kettles you have, gonna start calling you Caz if you don’t behave :)

Took Demi out for a run today, with the camera on. Ok, with the screen on. When stationary the picture is ok or blank with a nice shade of blue.. When on the move, the picture goes dark. Or is fuzzy. Or has interference. Or turns off. Now I know I have a problem. Which one do I address?

I think the answer is all of them.

I have been thinking about one of these cameras on the front of my house,

BUT it would need to work well in the dark because that would be an obvious time that it would be useful.

I'm not sure I understand the situation. Did you replace the camera and screen? What did you do about the cable?

Done nothing yet. There are still many "need to" jobs to do on the van, before I start like to jobs. If you take my drift.

The camera and it's screen are annoyances, nothing else. If something is fitted, I'd like it to work as intended. I believe these are the "Cheap 'n Cheerful" type, or whatever the Chinese translation for that is. It is something I inherited with the van.

Over the next few meets, I'll pick brains, early in the day, before said brains become pickled to see what my options might be.

One thing I am sure about, this camera/screen set up will be rear view, not reversing. Unless I'm convinced not to, I'll look at digital wireless/ bluetooth kit.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back