Unused battery discharge.

Topmast

Good morning all.
If a new battery is kept clean ,warm, and dry how long is it likely to be before needing a recharge? My reason for asking is I try to wild camp in remote places and would be stuck if I had a flat battery one morning ,as I don’t want to drag a generator around a spare battery in the storage area might be sensible option.

Thank for any response.

Good morning all.
If a new battery is kept clean ,warm, and dry how long is it likely to be before needing a recharge? My reason for asking is I try to wild camp in remote places and would be stuck if I had a flat battery one morning ,as I don’t want to drag a generator around a spare battery in the storage area might be sensible option.

Thank for any response.
If you are thinking a spare leisure battery, then actually connecting it would to my mind be better - you could use it for extra power and get more use - and also recharge it on a more regular basis.
If you then still had a flat battery, run the engine to get a bit of charge into the battery bank via the split-charge setup.
If you are thinking spare starter battery, maybe get a lithium jump start kit.

You could add a manual relay or switch between the input and output of the split charge relay to connect the two sides together to boost either the starter or leisure battery, depending on which side is flat (trevskoda above has that kind of setup).

Thanks to both of you.It is the starter battery I was worried about and yes I would fit a second battery with a isolation switch if there was room.But as I am trying to change my van some of the ones I have looked at are pretty tight for room.

Thanks to both of you.It is the starter battery I was worried about and yes I would fit a second battery with a isolation switch if there was room.But as I am trying to change my van some of the ones I have looked at are pretty tight for room.
Have a look at some of the lithium jump-start packs. Way easier to use when you need to, and also usually give you emergency lighting (torch and red strobe), plus USB charging. I've used mine to start the 2.8L diesel I had when it had a knackered battery.

Have a look at some of the lithium jump-start packs. Way easier to use when you need to, and also usually give you emergency lighting (torch and red strobe), plus USB charging. I've used mine to start the 2.8L diesel I had when it had a knackered battery.

We have a lithium-ion jump starter, and it's excellent. We used it maybe three or four times on our old van and it's started the van straight away. Much better and easier than jump leads.

Bring back the olden days.
cranking.png

Bring back the olden days.View attachment 105750
Could not agree more!
We have a lithium-ion jump starter, and it's excellent. We used it maybe three or four times on our old van and it's started the van straight away. Much better and easier than jump leads.
thanks everyone for replying.I have not seen the lithium /ion jump start but will have a look.

Could not agree more!

thanks everyone for replying.I have not seen the lithium /ion jump start but will have a look.
There were recommendations on the jump start/power pack thread started by annie Jan 7th

There were recommendations on the jump start/power pack thread started by annie Jan 7th
I was reading about these last night and being a bit thick I fail to see how something this small can as claimed start a thumping great diesel !

I was reading about these last night and being a bit thick I fail to see how something this small can as claimed start a thumping great diesel !
The Chinese one I have will definitely start my 2.7 turbo sprinter but not if the battery is completely dead. Down to 12.2v it starts immediately but when it gets below 12v mine won’t do it.

I am very thick regarding the technicalities but our started the van twice without charging between, when the battery was dead.

I am very thick regarding the technicalities but our started the van twice without charging between, when the battery was dead.
As I said on another thread, one was tried outside our school on a misty jeep which would not turn over, all it did was click the solenoid as the battery was dead, I linked my van up with jump leads and after 5 mins we got a running engine, as others have told me here they are ok if a battery is just down but a dead one will have no mission, and that's from the folk at the motor store here who sell them.

Last year I bought a jump start that was advertised as Lithium. When it arrived it was the same weight as my recently deceased lead acid one. I was surprised so I charged it up and took voltage readings, they were consistent with lead acid not Lithium. I complained and received a very quick refund of the full amount and an unconvincing explanation. The reply and refund was so quick it was obvious they knew full well that they were mis-selling them. However I did end up with a free lead acid jump start, they said they didn’t want it returned.

Last year I bought a jump start that was advertised as Lithium. When it arrived it was the same weight as my recently deceased lead acid one. I was surprised so I charged it up and took voltage readings, they were consistent with lead acid not Lithium. I complained and received a very quick refund of the full amount and an unconvincing explanation. The reply and refund was so quick it was obvious they knew full well that they were mis-selling them. However I did end up with a free lead acid jump start, they said they didn’t want it returned.
I opened one up here to find all was inside were a double row of rechargeable aa batts, Chinese con.

You just can't trust anyone, can you. Bunch of Scammers.
I must be just making up starting this 2800cc Diesel with my little jump pack in the following video ;)

The Chinese one I have will definitely start my 2.7 turbo sprinter but not if the battery is completely dead. Down to 12.2v it starts immediately but when it gets below 12v mine won’t do it.
Disappointing there. See video below ... battery was 10.7V (which is pretty well dead!)

Description in video:
The Starter Battery in this LT is faulty and does not deliver any real CCAs. Prior to starting Filming I tried to start the engine (and the battery was at around 12.6V having been on charge for previous 20 hours). Turned the key once and hardly any cranking and that is when I put the meter on and read 10.7V. It was at that point I decided to film using a Lithium Jump Pack to start the engine. Between the two goes with the Jump Pack connected I go back to the engine bay and check the jump pack. I didn't actually do anything or change anything on it, just checking the leads were all in place and pack not hot before trying again.
Engine Started on 2nd go with Jump Pack. I used the Jump Pack yesterday as well and it was exactly the same - first go engine turns slowly, then leave for a minute or so, turn key again and engine starts : )

That ok but your battery had some life, the one tried at or school was as dead as a dodo and would only click the soleniod a few times, I'm well sure they will start any engine when the battery is just of the edge, but I will get the loan of one and try sometime before I splash out.

That ok but your battery had some life, the one tried at or school was as dead as a dodo and would only click the soleniod a few times, I'm well sure they will start any engine when the battery is just of the edge, but I will get the loan of one and try sometime before I splash out.
nah. that battery was knackered. 10.7V is "I've have it", not borderline - and that was the result after being on a charger all the time remember. The only reason it was still in the van is I was awaiting until the Spring to replace it as van not in use until then.
the Lead Acid jump starters are out with the ark. I've have two of those and thrown them both away after a year.

nah. that battery was knackered. 10.7V is "I've have it", not borderline - and that was the result after being on a charger all the time remember. The only reason it was still in the van is I was awaiting until the Spring to replace it as van not in use until then.
the Lead Acid jump starters are out with the ark. I've have two of those and thrown them both away after a year.
How many pennies was the one you used and the make please

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back